Knifes which one do you prefer

Justintime

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which knif do you prefer folding lock or fixed blade

• folding lock blade
    • Fixed blade

I use the same as Alex for skinning but use a buck omni hunter for cleaning out deer, it has a good solid handle, a nice wide blade and is sturdy which is good for splitting the breast bone on deer, I also carry a kershaw assisted opener in my pocket every day as they are so handy for cutting rope/zip ties etc and can be opened with one hand.

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I have a few that I like to use. I have the Mora, a cheap knife that's extremely good value for money. I also have a Falkniven F1 - similar to the Mora but ten times the price. It's a better knife but not ten times better!

Folders wise I use a Victorinox with a large locking blade and a saw. Don't remember the name of it? I also have an Opinel with the point filed down to a more round drop point profile - that's just perfect for gutting bunnies and also cheap.

If I had to pick one knife for everything it would be the Mora. It does the job very well and doesn't upset you too much if you lose it because they're so cheap to replace. Next time I lose mine I'm getting an orange one so it's harder to misplace in the grass!

I'll always prefer a fixed blade over a folder. For one they're more sturdy and will never shut on your fingers and second, they're so much easier to clean. :good:

Always take my marttiini mfk-1t folding knife,nice and compact and very sharp,does the job.

Also carry my gerber suspension,an indispensable tool,was gutted when i lost it for a week,turned up under the chair where i always sit :lol:

No Deer down my way so no real need for a big fixed blade.

Opinel knives are good. :good:

I prefer a fixed blade knife, sturdier and safer. :rolleyes:

I generally have a folder near me or in the car, but i dont take a sheath knife unless i know/think i am going to need it e.g going rabbit shooting.

I like the Mora knifes and i have a orange one, its a good knife and you dont loose it in the grass.

I was given, years ago, an ex army survivial knife (falklands pattern) i think. This is a brilliant tool and very robust, and it is true utilitarian.

The reason for this pole is that i have the chance to sell Gerber Knifes multi tools etc its the new Bear G range there were 2 that caught my eye one called the scout folding lock knife a lovely one hand opener the other a fixed blade with fire steal Hopefully soon i will have the caterlog with there full range and my web site will be up and running.

They also do the military range, the Bear G range has a bright orange top to the handle makeing it easy to find in the dark/dimlight in long grass if you drop it. Thanks to you all for takeing part so far

I've voted for the Folding lock blade knife but it is difficult to answer as I use both and am extremely comfortable with either. If I am just out lamping rabbits I use my Opinel butI have 2 Moras - One in Stainless and one in Carbon Steel and they are extremely good value for money, they both have a very keen edge and they are very comfortable in the hand. I bought the Moras to use when deer stalking so they haven't really been used yet therefore my opinion could easily change at a later date!

I have a custom made fixed blade for bushcraft and general 'stuff'. I carry a mora in my welly boot believe it or not - bloody good knife for the money. Almost full tang, keeps an edge and has an ok sheath. Shame the majority are cunningly camouflaged... But what I use most, everyday in fact, is my leatherman core!

My folders are mainly Gerber's, maybe they are safer then most, but I can't see any way with normal use how the blade could close on your hand? You would need to be cutting with the back of the blade for that to happen anyway surely :hmm:

In fact the skeleton one is almost really hard to close even when you want it to.

My folders are mainly Gerber's, maybe they are safer then most, but I can't see any way with normal use how the blade could close on your hand? You would need to be cutting with the back of the blade for that to happen anyway surely :hmm:

In fact the skeleton one is almost really hard to close even when you want it to.

Those with the lock Stu are not the problem its the pen knife folding type that have caused me to visit A&E, but being honest it was in my younger days, most probably after a few beers :lol:

Its the index finger that normally gets shortened, by about 2 inches when it happens :o