dissapointing experience with the NHS

kdubya

Started early hours of sat morning really bad pain in back going round to right side, by early hours of mon (today) morning it was excruciating could hardly breathe for the pain, wife phoned nhs direct, they asked some questions then sent out a first response paramedic, she did some tests and called for an ambulance!!! went to local hosp which has limited facilities as it is being closed down before a supposed super hosp is built for the area (it will never happen)

the guys and girls there were fantastic, x-rays taken pain killers (morphine)given, and urine samples and tests for water infection done in no time, and done with real concern :good: told I had blood in urine :o and that it seemed likely that I had kidney stones.

I was then transferred to another hospital some 15 miles away, had to get the wife to take me, with notes and a cannulae stuck in my hand ( no real prob I suppose)gets to the emergency assessment unit at the other hosp, waits THREE hours sees doc he examines me says renal colic via kidney stones, transfers me to a ward to await ct scan, this is where it goes downhill big style.

when I went into the ward was told you will be in overnight here is your bed blah blah blah,

bloke opposite ( was recovering from a tumor removal from his bladder) said to nurse "got to go and try to pee" he then says to late and dumps load of bloody urine on the deck and trails it into the toilet (in the room) nurse looks and walks away?

2pm now so nearly 12 hours on I get told sorry can't get you a scan today or tomorrow, we will discharge you and send you an appointment for the scan, I says ok fair enough can I phone wife to come and get me? then gets a tirade of look there are 9 to be discharged in front of you and I am busy so you will be lucky to out by 7 pm FIVE hours later! :angry:

So sits there phones wife and waits and waits, 5pm nurse comes to remove both mine and other guy's ( blood dripper) cannulae, she dons pair of latex gloves and removes his and puts a plaster over a cotton wool pad, she then comes over to me and starts to remove mine, at which I said excuse me are you not going to change your gloves as while you might be ok you are going to transfer any blood products from him to me? she looked peeved but did it and never spoke?

7pm on the dot I am discharged and guess what yep a patch of dried blood is still on the room floor, contemplating reporting this ward and its running to hosp management :angry:

KW

she looked peeved but did it and never spoke?

KW

Come on, be fair, we've all been there, the end of a long day of dealing with the general public and their various fluids. I know exactly the feeling (and how she must of felt). I'm sure she knew you where in the right, and it was fair comment, but after running about for hours with sore feet, it's not really want needs to be heard from some chap in a bed (not saying you shouldn't of said it)

At least the price was right (and you're in relative good health!)

Edited by Bleeh

As an NHS doctor, I can see how some of the things you describe came about, but an explanation doesn't help you. You've had a shoddy service and have every right to complain, I urge you to do so.

In the meantime, I hope your pain is under control and you get an appointment for a scan in good time.

but after running about for hours with sore feet, it's not really want needs to be heard from some chap in a bed

I strongly dissagree!!!! I change my gloves AND WASH MY HANDS in between EVERY Patient......he was perfectly in his right to complain, Id get the nurses name and mention it in your complaint about the ward.

THE ONLY WAY TO COMBAT THIS SLOVENLY AND DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS BEHAVIOUR IS TO REPORT IT.....YOUR LIFE COULD DEPEND ON IT

THE SCARY THING IS THATS EXACTLY HOW TO PASS ON

HIV, HEP B HEP C OR

ANY MANNER OF NASTIES

and just for the record....WHEN you get renal colic again.....ask for pethidine, its much more effective than morphine for renal colic pain. :good:

Edited by Evil Elvis

You were unlucky mate. Nurses are supposed to wash their hands before and after every patient contact. As simple as that. When dealing with bodily fluids there is a score of protocols, but these vary from trust to trust. You should definitely write a letter to the trust and explain your ordeal. I hope you have a quick recovery.

and just for the record....WHEN you get renal colic again.....ask for pethidine, its much more effective than morphine for renal colic pain. :good:

sat here in sodding agony, worse when I lay down? took some tramadol I had after getting my knee replaced, back (dead center) feels like someone has kicked me hard, my right hand side cripples me when I take a deep breath,fortunately off work today so dont have that to worry about, don't know what to do re the urology ward and its seemingly lax attitude to cleanliness, don't want to get anyone into bother, but the whole experience of going into that ward has me not wanting to go back for the CT scan and any further treatment at that hospital.

KW

Edited by kdubya

My son had a umbilical hernia op last wed in the rvi at Newcastle. I can only describe the service we received as outstanding. TBH I cannot speak highly enough of the nhs all round.

They were constantly cleaning, wiping, using gel, washing hands like I have never seen before.

But there is nothing worse than terrible pain+terrible service, although I don't want to experience it.

Edited by markm

About twelve years ago now my father was taken into Northwick Park Hospital with problems that turned out to be terminal. As a result he was stuck in the observation ward for three days waiting tests and scans.

During that three days there were three men in the bed opposite him but between changeovers the bed was not changed it was just remade. My mum, a retired nurse herself saw it all.

Round here the NHS is just swamped with foreigners who have never paid in anything towards their treatment. A friend of mine, the former chairman of our club has kidney problems and has to go to the dialysis unit twice a week. A large percentage of the patients there are people who have come in from abroad specifically to get free treatment they couldn't afford in their own country.

Another friend, a doctor worked at a hospital in North London where there is a large Greek Cypriot community and used to say about all the heart bypasses they used to do for people who "took ill while on holday from Cyprus" and were always referred by the same two or three GPs.

My son had a umbilical hernia op last wed in the rvi at Newcastle. I can only describe the service we received as outstanding. TBH I cannot speak highly enough of the nhs all round.

They were constantly cleaning, wiping, using gel, washing hands like I have never seen before.

But there is nothing worse than terrible pain+terrible service, although I don't want to experience it.

we had a granddaughter who spent 9 months in the RVI ( she sadly died)the dedication and effort they put in for the kid was outstanding, my other experiences with hosps, such as when I had my two knee replacements was first class, however this hosp I am moaning about (first time I have been in it) has left me not wanting to go back there at all.

KW

My doctor sent me to RUH in Bath with numbness in my scrotal area :blush: they sent me home saying nothing to worry about. I was still unsure, so the next day i paid for a private MRI in Cheltenham - the technician who saw my scan told me to go straight to Frenchay in Bristol - they operated within 2 hours (it was a slipped disc cutting off a few important nerves).

The 2 hospitals couldn't have been more different!! :no:

Had a similar thing when my son was born. It had been drummed into us that before we went near our new borns or any family ec wanted to pick them up , we had to use the hand gel.

Doc comes round a checks every baby in the ward then comes to pick mine up, i politely asked him to use some hand cleaner as he had been and touched every other baby on the ward. The look of disgust i got was fantastic.

The nurses did however have a good laugh about it later withh us !!

The RVI is one of the best and cleanest hospitals i have been in or attended.....

The staff are first class and actually care....

shaun

Started early hours of sat morning really bad pain in back going round to right side, by early hours of mon (today) morning it was excruciating could hardly breathe for the pain, wife phoned nhs direct, they asked some questions then sent out a first response paramedic, she did some tests and called for an ambulance!!! went to local hosp which has limited facilities as it is being closed down before a supposed super hosp is built for the area (it will never happen)

the guys and girls there were fantastic, x-rays taken pain killers (morphine)given, and urine samples and tests for water infection done in no time, and done with real concern :good: told I had blood in urine :o and that it seemed likely that I had kidney stones.

I was then transferred to another hospital some 15 miles away, had to get the wife to take me, with notes and a cannulae stuck in my hand ( no real prob I suppose)gets to the emergency assessment unit at the other hosp, waits THREE hours sees doc he examines me says renal colic via kidney stones, transfers me to a ward to await ct scan, this is where it goes downhill big style.

when I went into the ward was told you will be in overnight here is your bed blah blah blah,

bloke opposite ( was recovering from a tumor removal from his bladder) said to nurse "got to go and try to pee" he then says to late and dumps load of bloody urine on the deck and trails it into the toilet (in the room) nurse looks and walks away?

2pm now so nearly 12 hours on I get told sorry can't get you a scan today or tomorrow, we will discharge you and send you an appointment for the scan, I says ok fair enough can I phone wife to come and get me? then gets a tirade of look there are 9 to be discharged in front of you and I am busy so you will be lucky to out by 7 pm FIVE hours later! :angry:

So sits there phones wife and waits and waits, 5pm nurse comes to remove both mine and other guy's ( blood dripper) cannulae, she dons pair of latex gloves and removes his and puts a plaster over a cotton wool pad, she then comes over to me and starts to remove mine, at which I said excuse me are you not going to change your gloves as while you might be ok you are going to transfer any blood products from him to me? she looked peeved but did it and never spoke?

7pm on the dot I am discharged and guess what yep a patch of dried blood is still on the room floor, contemplating reporting this ward and its running to hosp management :angry:

KW

thats what caused this.....infection in canula site...

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/shaun4860/arm/

shaun

Nice to hear, but it still never ceases to amaze me how inept some hospitals/departments can be despite the CQC scrutiny...........

Keith I was in the same hospital and I think it was the same ward the poorly cock shop this time last year.

The service I received was utter S H ** E I signed myself out,not something to do on a whim after an operation and went to my gp for after care.But my local hospital is only a mile or so from my door incase of anything bad happening.

Both my wife and myself were livid with the way they treated myself and other patients on this ward,the place was filthy as you have also said. The nurse who seen me out,was full of apologies and embarrassment at the failings of the ward and my treatment on it, but it wasn't her fault she was at the bottom of the command chain and not one who was treating me.

I have vowed never to stay in this dump again,and will insist on going to James cook in the future if i require any treatment.As we can pick the hospital we want to go to at our GP surgery before hand,just may have to wait a bit longer for appointments,as good hospitals have longer lists. I know this would not have helped in your case on the night, but now you have to have scans and further treatment,it would be worthwhile looking into it more with your own GP.

I have family working in our local hospital and they all complain about the way the pct is ran.

Keith I feel your pain, hope your well soon, if not I have the number of a good vet.

Now lets have no more excuses for missing clay practice, get a wheel chair and we will drag you to each stand.

ATB figgy

Edited by figgy

Come on figgy you know he is a **** shot all the practice in the world will not make him better..

Any way don't let him use that gun to much, he was in so much pain this afternoon when i was speaking to him he has left his guns to me and i dont want to many shots through them :lol: :lol: :lol:

What annoys me about the NHS is that inconsistency. Some hospitals are excellent others **** poor. Even within the same trust they can be different. Why is that?

Some are well managed, others are not.

Some are staffed by demoralised, over-worked staff, others are not.

Some are under-resourced, others are not (well, less under-resourced than others!).

Some are in less desirable areas, so don't attract the best, most motivated staff.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Hospitals are just like any other organisation, be it a supermarket or gun shop. All patients deserve the best care, but sadly this doesn't always happen.

Come on figgy you know he is a **** shot all the practice in the world will not make him better..

Any way don't let him use that gun to much, he was in so much pain this afternoon when i was speaking to him he has left his guns to me and i dont want to many shots through them :lol: :lol: :lol:

You beat be to his guns hawkeye i was going to ask for them myself, as he has had so much time on the sick and made so many excuses why he can't shoot,his guns are still brand new :P:lol: :lol:

I think i will let you have the guns but first dibs on his excuse book,its a belter :P

ATB figgy

Edited by figgy

You beat be to his guns hawkeye i was going to ask for them myself, as he has had so much time on the sick and made so many excuses why he can't shoot,his guns are still brand new :P:lol: :lol:

I think i will let you have the guns but first dibs on his excuse book,its a belter :P

ATB figgy

the league tables dont lie :P figgy I take it you were in the urology ward at north tees? nothing more than a disgrace, and an insult to the rest of the NHS in my area.

KW

Edited by kdubya

the league tables dont lie :P figgy I take it you were in the urology ward at north tees? nothing more than a disgrace, and an insult to the rest of the NHS in my area.

KW

Yes kdubya same ward and same poor service.

Are you shooting tomorrow night,to keep you up in the league table, as were at home you should put a good card in. :hmm:

ATB figgy

Yes kdubya same ward and same poor service.

Are you shooting tomorrow night,to keep you up in the league table, as were at home you should put a good card in. :hmm:

ATB figgy

yes hope to be there, tried to drive today but need to sit so upright its a joke, but one of the lads will take me,sent a snotty (but truthful) e-mail to the trust complaints dept, so can't imagine I will get a scan quickly? at least I know what the pain is / was, dont make it any less painful, but at least its less of a worry, pinkish pee does not reasure you all is OK.

KW