Broken Crank Shaft on modern twin turbo diesel Jag

Mungler

for a crankshaft to simply break, it could be a defect within the crankshaft itself, that has finally "shown" with age and wear,or its been starved of oil? if say a piston had seized and led to a crabkshaft failure then considerable damage would have been done to the rest of the engine probably totalling it, I would have thought that a crankshaft simply breaking was quite rare, but then again I once had a piston crown come away from a fairly new and well serviced car engine?

KW

Mungler

A friend of mine works at Burton car racing, is an exceptional mechanic, and the only modern car he loves is a Jaguar; if you can't get to the bottom of it and want to have a chat with him send me a pm and I will put you in touch.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

We are at the point of getting an expert's report - there is a supplying 2nd hand car dealer and an intervening garage that carried out a service. Each is blaming the other.

Client had car for less than 4 weeks (week 2 had it serviced). Less than 100 miles in the 4 weeks.

Intervening garage knows what it is doing.

As above, one way or another the client had a reasonable expectation to have a vehicle that was of satisfactory quality, free from defects and durable etc and it's one of the garages' at fault.

I was hoping to avoid getting an expert's report now because the Court will probably Order another report being comissioned "jointly" once proceedings are underway.

I don't think I can avoid it, so, anyone know of any diesel jag engine crankshaft experts?

Am interested in the Burton fella - will PM.

A lot of modern diesels with common rail systems suffer from injector problems from 70K miles onwards, was it running OK before it broke ? just wonering if it hydrauliced although I'd have thought it would bend a rod rather than shear the crank. If the car was in an accident that can weaken cranks.

- there is a supplying 2nd hand car dealer and an intervening garage that carried out a service.

Doesn't the 'Sale of Goods Act' or something similar say that any defects,other than fair wear and tear,that become apparent within six months from the sale, are deemed to be present when the vehicle was purchased and that the selling dealer is liable for the cost of repair?

Vic.

Not if the garage that serviced it in the interim broke it.

just about everything else should fail before a crankshaft, if bearings had failed or it had been hydrauliced etc cranks would have bent or snapped long before a crankshaft snapped, my money is on an initial defect in the crank, can't see what a service could have done to cause a crank to fail, even running out of oil would have seized the engine first before a crank failed, or timing done wrong etc would have had valves and rods suffer 1st :hmm:

KW

just about everything else should fail before a crankshaft, if bearings had failed or it had been hydrauliced etc cranks would have bent or snapped long before a crankshaft snapped, my money is on an initial defect in the crank, can't see what a service could have done to cause a crank to fail, even running out of oil would have seized the engine first before a crank failed, or timing done wrong etc would have had valves and rods suffer 1st

I agree,

A previous owner could have red-lined and dropped the clutch at every light.

And **** does just happen some times.

Nial.