Shotgun without a bolted in gun safe

Catweazle

My lad would like to shoot shotgun after I move away to Wales, but he is in a very modern rented flat and the terms say he can't alter the building, including bolting a safe to the wall.

Is there any way he can fit an approved safe, in a flat, without bolting it to the fabric of the building ? Just for one shotgun.

My lad would like to shoot shotgun after I move away to Wales, but he is in a very modern rented flat and the terms say he can't alter the building, including bolting a safe to the wall.

Is there any way he can fit an approved safe, in a flat, without bolting it to the fabric of the building ? Just for one shotgun.

I doubt it, fixing to the fabric of the building is the intrinsic part of security.

Just a thought that would mean bending the rules (out of sight, out of mind) has he got a built in wardrobe?

Yes, but I'm not sure of the construction of the building. It's very modern, of the style that looks as if built from steel, wood and plasterboard.

There is good security for the building, and the windows could only be accessed with difficulty, but I can't see an easy way to prevent a burglar walking out with the whole safe.

I suppose he could get a big safe and fill half of it with lead, assuming the load ratings of the floor are sufficient.

what about the attic? as wymberley said out of site out of mind. if the attic floor isn't boarded out i doubt the landlord would notice fixing it to the joists. that's if his feo is happy with it fixed to wooden joists. if his inspection is anything like mine, bluetack would have held it to the wall securely enough for the quick shake the psco gave it.

what about the attic? as wymberley said out of site out of mind. if the attic floor isn't boarded out i doubt the landlord would notice fixing it to the joists. that's if his feo is happy with it fixed to wooden joists. if his inspection is anything like mine, bluetack would have held it to the wall securely enough for the quick shake the psco gave it.

Being in a flat though he may unwittingly be putting the cabinet in his neighbours bathroom....

Edited by kyska

just secure it to the wall as long as its patched up when he leaves i cant see it being a problem ive lived in a few rented properties and they have said no change of features etc and ive always secured my cabinet to the wall and had it patched up and then painted over again and always got my bond money back as it was patched up good and you couldnt even tell and hows the landlord going to know that hes got one in weekley inspections? i doubt it.

It's not what we think is adequate but what the Police Fire arm officer wants to see and that varies from force to force

Some don't like attic's as they say after a days shooting you may be inclined to leave the gun out

Some won't accept bolted to wooden floors

I think all will probably want to see the gun out of sight, unless you have security like a gun club or gun shop

I would register the gun with a friend who had a gun safe and just use it as required, registering the gun at his location would not mean he ownes it but that he is responsible for it