.223 Mod

ollie

Hi all, I have had approval for my .223 and I will soon be acquiring a Howa 1500 Laminate Thumbhole. My question is what would your choice of Moderator be? The barrel is a stainless barrel so I don't want something that is gonna look out of place on it. Also I want a Moderator which is easy to strip and clean as I understand that they can sometimes be subject to rust. Thanks for any advice :good:

that`s going to be a pretty heavy gun scoped up with mod lol.saw a nice compact mod on a 223 howa. think it was an ase ultra

It's a stainless sporter barrel so won't be as bad as varmint barrel.

Hi all, I have had approval for my .223 and I will soon be acquiring a Howa 1500 Laminate Thumbhole. My question is what would your choice of Moderator be? The barrel is a stainless barrel so I don't want something that is gonna look out of place on it. Also I want a Moderator which is easy to strip and clean as I understand that they can sometimes be subject to rust. Thanks for any advice :good:

i use a wildcat preditor 8 on my .223 its quiet and can be fully striped for cleaning :good:

I'd put an over barrel Pes on it if it was mine. They look good and work very well.

On anything close to .250 or .30 I would go for an Ase Northstar ot S5 any time, but for some silly reason they don't do a .22! With the small calibres the smaller the exit hole the better. :yes:

I'm looking for a .22 Pes for my A-Bolt if anyone's selling one? OP comes first if he wants it obviously!

ive got a wildcat pred 8 on my howa and it does the job extremly well it is a little heavy and big but its very quiet. if i were you i wouldnt go for the third eye they feel very cheap and very light like they arent made of anything and are very small and from the reviews ive read because my friend was going to get one people are saying that they arent very quiet. altho they are strippable. this is my rifle yes it is heavy but most time im laying in wait or sat a couple of hundred yards from a rabbit set or fox set with the bi pod out so the weight doesnt bother me and i dont think i would tempt a free hand shot at 150+ even with a lighter rifle.

post-14102-0-25531500-1306577194.jpg

post-14102-0-30182100-1306577200.jpg

post-14102-0-80975200-1306577204.jpg

post-14102-0-07344400-1306577211.jpg

post-14102-0-83550600-1306577214.jpg

post-14102-0-23723700-1306577220.jpg

Short, overbarrel, easy to strip, good moderation, sensible price (well, as sensible a price as any, and far better than some).....

Wildcat Predator 8 COMPACT!

About 3/4 the length of the Full P8, lighter, but EXACTLY the same baffle stack and available with a dedicated hole size for .22 centrefires!

:good:

DM80 on my .223, excellent mod, and well priced.

If you go for a P8, get the compact, I use the full size mod on the .308, and it's excellent, but not necessary for the .223.

Between my P8 and my DM80, the DM80 is the easier to clean.

They both get dropped in hot soapy water after use, and left to soak until they stop smelling of ammonia, but with the DM80 I can get in too all the nooks and crannies easily.

On the up side the baffel for the P8 fits in the US cleaner, so it's a bit of swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I have Third Eye Tactical rings and mounts on my CF's, and it is all top kit.

I also read of another shooter that needed something different for his Spartan mod, and Craig sorted it out for him for free, so you can't go wrong there.

HTH

Cooter :)