Urban Foxes

pavman

On walking the dogs to the park last night (middle of town) came across two Charlie’s, no fear of the main road or me with dogs. They did not look in good shape being a bit skinny and I could not see if they where dogs or vixens but this is getting quite common in our area. I have them trying to get into my patch through a chain link fence quite often even though we never put out left overs for birds etc. I have been told some folk are feeding them so no wonder they are on the increase. I have a warm welcome planned if they make another visit to my garden.

There is several around our way as well, I was stood in a checkout queue last week behind some daft old bat who was buying a load of cheap mince to feed the foxes in her garden.

I did (tactfully) try to explain that she was doing the foxes no favours by feeding them and they ought to be shot. It didn't go down to well for some reason.

Cheers

Martin

My Mother in Law lives in a small town and there are two foxes always around her garden, even in daylight.

They are both in poor condition, evidenced mainly by their skinniness and their mangy looking coats .

Nobody is deliberately feeding them, hoping they will go away, but they will take bread put out for the birds and cat food left outside.

They appeared about 4 months ago and have been reported to the local Council a few times, but they have done nothing.

Most of my shoots are on the edge of town and we see alot of Fox about on the way back from shoots. Caught one running along an embankment alongside a busy dual carriageway one morning.

Just out of interest and especially as i'm now getting into Fox shooting, how do you sex them from a distance?

Most of my shoots are on the edge of town and we see alot of Fox about on the way back from shoots. Caught one running along an embankment alongside a busy dual carriageway one morning.

Just out of interest and especially as i'm now getting into Fox shooting, how do you sex them from a distance?

Sex em at a distance?

Hold em up by the tails at arms length cos the don't arf pong :D

Dogs are bigger :D

Urban foxes have been common in my part of town for about the last 10 or 15 years. Before that they were prettty infrequent.

I feed them on occasion, when I've been dressing game I'll take the remains down lane to the allotments and drop it off for charlie and his mates. They often wind me and will follow 100 yards behind until I leave them their meal. A pal of mine (another keen shooter) feeds 'his' foxes every day and they will almost take the food from his hand.

As for skinny animals, never seen an urban fox in poor condition yet. Never had any trouble apart from a black bin liner ripped open one night, but that was my fault for leaving it out full of bits of pheasant and duck. As for shooting them, why, just coz they are foxes? They don't seem to do any harm in town so I leave them alone.

There is several around our way as well, I was stood in a checkout queue last week behind some daft old bat who was buying a load of cheap mince to feed the foxes in her garden.

I did (tactfully) try to explain that she was doing the foxes no favours by feeding them and they ought to be shot. It didn't go down to well for some reason.

Cheers

Martin

:D:D:D

how do you sex a fox :D just like any other 4 legged creature you've gotta be wearing those big flabby wellies...stick their back legs down the front and awhey you go :D

and from a distance...BANG then go turn it over (with your boot) :D

once urban foxes start passing (passing NOT p*ssing) on mange to joe publics precious pets in any numbers THEN they'll wish they had voted to keep hunting.

This morning I watched a fox, which was rolling in the grass. When it stood up I could see the whole of the back half of it`s body was pink, from lack of fur. It probably had mange and was rolling because of the skin irritation.

i live on the edge of croydon and work in towards london and the foxes i see further in are all ridden with mange,some to the point of being bald.those i encounter from where i live to further out are in better nick but amazingly tame,its nothing for me to see half a dozen along my road.i live 100 yards from a golf course and even though they are semi urban they are a sucker for a rabbit call,miss my last dog he was deadly on them.not quite the same with a chocolate lab :D

and from a distance...BANG then go turn it over (with your boot) :D

once urban foxes start passing (passing NOT p*ssing) on mange to joe publics precious pets in any numbers THEN they'll wish they had voted to keep hunting.

our old dog (bruno rip) caught fox mange and generously passed it onto me , it was just a tad unpleasent :D , once the vet had treated the dog my symptoms dissapeared , apparently it's some kind of mite that will not live for long on humans(according to the vet) , however this was probably 4yrs ago and to this day every few months a small patch of dry skin on my left leg will erupt and drive me mad.

As for skinny animals, never seen an urban fox in poor condition yet. Never had any trouble apart from a black bin liner ripped open one night, but that was my fault for leaving it out full of bits of pheasant and duck. As for shooting them, why, just coz they are foxes? They don't seem to do any harm in town so I leave them alone.

I think the problem is that they are vermin. Would you let rats live in your garden because they looked to be in good condition?

Urban foxes will kill pet rabbits, guinea pigs etc, even cats and they pass disease to dogs. The cat reference is from the fact that my brother lives in london and one day his ginger cat came through the cat flap at 100 miles an hour closely followed by a foxes head, I doubt if the fox wanted to make friends.

I think the problem is that they are vermin. Would you let rats live in your garden because they looked to be in good condition?

Urban foxes will kill pet rabbits, guinea pigs etc, even cats and they pass disease to dogs. The cat reference is from the fact that my brother lives in london and one day his ginger cat came through the cat flap at 100 miles an hour closely followed by a foxes head, I doubt if the fox wanted to make friends.

I agree, a, 110%. :/