What you do in this situation?

Simple....

You should have picked up the live rounds and handed them to the landowner and expressed your concern that someone has behaved carelessly.

If you don't do anything then you risk be blamed unfairly.

If it puts you in bad light with the other shooter then tough. The other shooter should have his license pulled, he is clearly irresponsible and unfit to have a firearms license. To drop and lose one round in long grass happens, but you suggest there were several, that is not acceptable.

:lol: :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my comment.

A live round is something you shouldnt have if you dont hold an FAC, or are a member of HM forces.

Several such rounds are not the end of the earth but a matter of principle - do you do the right thing or just brush this aside and get on with your life?

Since we are priviledged to own, retain and use firearms (in the current democratic climate) is it up to us to 'manage ' ourselves or just treat all shooting related stuff as our own choice?

I firmly believe that whatever you choose to do, the common sense principle is to err on the side of caution and, as Mungler has said before, put yourself in the place of an uninfromed public.

Whatever you do - do not extravagantly criticise any member for their own perspective, just because it doesnt agree with your own.

In any such situation, surely safety is the first consideration, not hiding the problem because we all know they aren't 'nukes'.

Would you feel happy if your kids picked these up and didnt have a dad who knew what they were or how dangerous they could be?

Cut people some slack, both ways

Lets face it these rounds could have just fallen out of a pocket. I've never done it myself but it could easily happen. I think it would be a bit OTT to report t to the police and risk this guys FAC over it? Is that what all you "oh my god it's the end of the world" people thing should happen?

Hope nobody finds a box of matches when they're out shooting :rolleyes::lol:

What happens if someone drops a box of matches on top of a dropped 22 round? A child might be out looking for ladybirds with a magnifying glass, the magnifying glass could focus the suns rays onto the matches causing a fire. This could cause the round to go off travelling for a mile before......

Wait for it.......

......as my granny used to say.........

" have someone's eye out"

well i lost half a box of .22 rounds last week whilst walking round a friends farm at 5 in morning.realised when i got back to car and though ****** where could they have fell out too? decided at time to write them off as farms quite remote and private and chances of anyone finding them is slim.when i got home the fact that id lost rounds and someone could find them no matter how remote played on my mind for a few hours till i decided to ring mate and ask him if it be ok to go back down and search for them.walked the same route in opposite direction and suddenly remembered bending over to pick shooting sticks up and thought i bet their there. well when i got to that spot there they were sat at bottom od muddy ditch in a few inches of water. so personally id say nowt unless you come across the other fella and just drop it into convo that youd found some rounds earlier and see what he says.

Ask the farmer for the other shooters contact point, so that you can make contact and introduce yourself.

Then contact the other person and politely let him know what you have found, who knows it may be someone else and you could then both be forewarned of an intruder.

No need to make a big issue of it, after all it could have been an accident, albeit careless, no one learns if no one is told.

Terry

Thats what I'd do. You'd look like a snitch if you went to the farmer and it may not have even been the other shooters, might have been some unforeseens out for a poach. If somebody approached me with ammo that I'd dropped I'd have huge respect for them.

Scotty, beam me up - Please... I am not on the same planet that I was born on.

GET A LIFE YOU GUYS!

Have you never dropped anything?

Have you never found anything before?

Like the man said - you got some free ammo - Be happy.

Why make a great drama out of absolutely nothing.

It's no wonder farmers say no when you ask for permission.

They can't be dealing with all this twaddle.

Edited by Grandalf

Scotty, beam me up - Please... I am not on the same planet that I was born on.

GET A LIFE YOU GUYS!

Have you never dropped anything?

Have you never found anything before?

Like the man said - you got some free ammo - Be happy.

Why make a great drama out of absolutely nothing.

It's no wonder farmers say no when you ask for permission.

They can't be dealing with all this twaddle.

I can see where you're coming from chap but its not just dropping anything is it? The public reaction when stuff like this gets found is normally off the scale, especially when the hormonal mums at the school gate get involved. One of the kids at the local primary handed in a live cartridge to her teacher that she'd found on my mates permission and there was hell on. The police were involved and you have never seen drama like it. The farmer got a broadside and the shooters all got a chewing off from him. The local residents didnt like us shooting these fields anyway because of the noise and this event did nothing to help the situation.

I must confess to being really quite surprised at the responses to a brilliant and provocative original post.

The cavalier attitude expressed by so many people to the safe keeping of live rounds of ammunition astonishes me.

Find a live round and think "whoopee do - free ammunition" can't be real - you are taking the mick surely.

Failing to keep a farmer informed about what is going on on his land is unhelpful - you are not snitching or causing trouble, just keeping him informed, he may have other relevant information that you don't know about. Grow up a bit. Maybe you are not used to having good relationships with farmers.

As usual some of you seem to have difficulty reading and comprehending a thread, no-one suggested reporting to the police. Read the original post.... Given that several rounds were found "not just one incident" and some showed signs of an attempt to fire them which suggests they were simply discarded it suggests irresponsible behaviour rather than the accidental dropping of a bullet. The identity of "the other shooter" is not known to anyone except the farmer and, indeed, it may well be a poacher / trespasser. It is not your land, you have a duty of care to the farmer to inform him, nothing more.

Words like "snitching" belong in the playground.

Edited by dadioles

I can see where you're coming from chap but its not just dropping anything is it? The public reaction when stuff like this gets found is normally off the scale, especially when the hormonal mums at the school gate get involved. One of the kids at the local primary handed in a live cartridge to her teacher that she'd found on my mates permission and there was hell on. The police were involved and you have never seen drama like it. The farmer got a broadside and the shooters all got a chewing off from him. The local residents didnt like us shooting these fields anyway because of the noise and this event did nothing to help the situation.

Then i think in that situation they would be gunning for you anyway, due to lack of consideration noise wise.

I have dropped 12g cartridges on one of my permisions in fact thinking about it on 2, the landowner has given them back to me next time i was round and nothing said appart from "are these yours"

Why stir up the manure, i can not see any point at all..

Then i think in that situation they would be gunning for you anyway, due to lack of consideration noise wise.

I have dropped 12g cartridges on one of my permisions in fact thinking about it on 2, the landowner has given them back to me next time i was round and nothing said appart from "are these yours"

Why stir up the manure, i can not see any point at all..

Its not lack of consideration. If we are told that an area is getting hammered we shoot it to keep the permission. The headland of this field is as bald as a coot as we were very reluctant to go anywhere near it but the guy got into such a state about it that we started shooting it. I rang the local Police first and gave them a grid reference of our location and explained the situation and they were very appreciative. Whats inconsiderate about that?

Whats more inconsiderate is the locals letting there chuffing kids roam wherever they want and build camps in the crops. If any of that **** goes up the combine its potentially big bucks.

Its not lack of consideration. If we are told that an area is getting hammered we shoot it to keep the permission. The headland of this field is as bald as a coot as we were very reluctant to go anywhere near it but the guy got into such a state about it that we started shooting it. I rang the local Police first and gave them a grid reference of our location and explained the situation and they were very appreciative. Whats inconsiderate about that?

Whats more inconsiderate is the locals letting there chuffing kids roam wherever they want and build camps in the crops. If any of that **** goes up the combine its potentially big bucks.

There's a field only 100's of yards from me its been stripped by pigeons, it has had shoooters on there using subs only. Thats being considerate :good: There's a chap who shoots it who has even bought a hushpower so he can still shoot the field without upsetting the folk who live close by.

Kids camping in crop fields thats just being un-educated, i blame the parents.

Put the boot on the other foot;

You accidently drop a few rounds climbing over a gate.

Would you rather the other shooter approach you and ask if they were yours (if they were not then inform the farmer)

OR

Go straight to the farmer, painting a picture that your careless and leave your **** all over the place, which COULD result in you loosing you permission?

Bit of a harsh out come for an honest mistake :/

Edited by chrispti

assuming its the other shooter and not a walker who shoots who had some in his pocket etc etc

I've picked up all sorts round the countryside live shotgun cartridges are quite common, but haven't thought of what to do other than put them in my pocket and use them. Just get back to reality a little and remember start throwing the sticky stuff and people try and throw it back.

assuming its the other shooter and not a walker who shoots who had some in his pocket etc etc

I've picked up all sorts round the countryside live shotgun cartridges are quite common, but haven't thought of what to do other than put them in my pocket and use them. Just get back to reality a little and remember start throwing the sticky stuff and people try and throw it back.

Nail + Head !

If You had been finding them regularly then its a fair cop, I have never knowingly dropped live/dead rounds or shells, but I bet I have somewhere along the way - Its **** law.

Put the boot on the other foot;

You accidently drop a few rounds climbing over a gate.

Would you rather the other shooter approach you and ask if they were yours (if they were not then inform the farmer)

OR

Go straight to the farmer, painting a picture that your careless and leave your **** all over the place, which COULD result in you loosing you permission?

Bit of a harsh out come for an honest mistake :/

Read the original post chrispti.

Your comment is entirely reasonable but not answering the original post. In YOUR scenario the shooter has accidentally dropped a few rounds - it happens. The finder knows who the shooter is and is able to approach them, nice.

Unfortunately the post is about an unknown shooter who appears to deliberately and irresponsible "throw away" unwanted ammunition, a repeat offender - not an honest mistake.

I do wish people would pay attention and stick to the point....

ack ack in his earlier post where he mentions a child handing in ammo at a school seems to be one of the few in this forum who actually understand the implications of irresponsible activity.

Edited by dadioles

Shooting sports are always under threat from those who don't want us to have guns.

They will always use any info that comes their way provided it is against the shooting fraternity.

We defend our view - They defend theirs.

As a group we are always careful and don't regularly litter the ground with live rounds or weapons.

Occasionally things do go wrong.

On this occasion someone - unknown - dropped a few rounds.

Luckily they were found by one of us - a responsible person.

Why then advertise to the world that a 'crime' was committed? (This is a public forum).

The ammo was made safe - fired.

That's it - it's done - fini - over.

Don't then make a drama about it.

You can almost see the headlines of the anti-gun tabloids quoting how many times the members of PW have admitted to loosing ammunition.

If no-one 'needs' to know - then don't let anyone know.

All I'm saying is that if I'd dropped ammo and it was handed to me by another shooter I would appreciate it. I would rather it was found by a fellow shooter than by an anti who has preconceived ideas about the sport who could use it for negative effect. Do you not think our sport has enough chuffing opposition as it is? For all we know the guy that dropped it has a hole in his pocket / bag and hasnt a clue he's doing it. He could have been dropping the chuffing things all the way down his street for all we know.

Giving the other guns a heads up is a reasonable, sensible thing to do.

If you dont think its a biggy to leave live rounds lying around then thats your opinion that you are entitled to and not one that I would endorse.

Come on guys, we're meant to be standing together aren't we?

BTW I count every round out and every round and empty back in. It takes five minutes at the end of a session or you can do it as you go when theres nothing flying. Whats wrong with that?

Hi All

Another holier than thou attitude, what planet are you from, the Planet Daily Mail. Shock Horror man drops super high velocity dum dum bullets capable of killing someone at over a mile and a half only 600 yds from school full of primary school children.Bring back the death penalty.For gods sake it is only a few 22rimfire not nuclear warheads

If i find any i chuck em away and get on with my life

Geordie

Well said , my thoughts exactly :good: