Sloe Gin

Nicky T

I was having a good read of this online last year and stumbled across a thread where a guy made three identical bottles and opened one each year.

Apparently the 3rd year it started to taste a bit different, but still drinkable.

...Ahh... Decanted.. Unsure :unsure:

Edited by Billy.

Best bet is to give it a taste! :good:

.........whilst sat on the toilet :lol:

Joking aside I found a bottle that had done a side shimmy in the shed and escaped capture for at least two years and it was palatable despite the cork having dried out a bit.

Edited by ack-ack

i went to pour a glass from a bottle the other night and realised it was full of fruit still (2 year old) - still tasted great.

i also had a glass of my Rosehip vodka, which tastes incredible now (1.5 years old) - it's like drinking boozy butterscotch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The stones in the sloes give a almond flavor after years of steeping in it apparently, that's why some recipes call for almond extract to be added to mimmic the aging process.

I try to make three liters of mixed batches so some can mature for years.I am going to try to get to the point of having enough so at ten to twelve years I always have some at that age year on year.So best to put some away Nicky T.

Up to now I have bramble with vodka and also brandy, plum vodka is a bit of an acquired taste. Raspberry vodka this won't make a vintage far too nice to leave alone so drank most of it making others,also tried rhubarb,gooseberry in both gin and vodka what a waste of spirits that was. Sloe gin is still the favorite older the better, guy on syndicate has some will be fourteen this season best taste of all our efforts.

Must pick more brambles and buy more vodka and raspberries.

Best tip I got for pricking the sloes after freezing was to put some on clean tea towel and roll them about with the zest part of the grater it puts loads of tiny holes and tears in the skin and not your own skin as you get using a pin or blackthorn.

**** post didn't look that long when typing.

ATB figgy

Edited by figgy

Best tip I got for pricking the sloes after freezing was to put some on clean tea towel and roll them about with the zest part of the grater it puts loads of tiny holes and tears in the skin and not your own skin as you get using a pin or blackthorn.

Awesome tip that one Figgy, thanks for sharing. Seeing a good amount of sloes around at the moment, and will keep this one in mind for the Autumn.

Thanks again,

Snipe.

Awesome tip that one Figgy, thanks for sharing. Seeing a good amount of sloes around at the moment, and will keep this one in mind for the Autumn.

Thanks again,

Snipe.

Agreed, cheers Figgy :good:

Starting to scout the sloes as we speak; time to get stocked up on Gin ready for production :yes: