long range

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never got my bird in the eye, she's got a big mouth and its mostly open :lol:. On a more serious note boy is there some shooting talent in the uk. Take my 7 year old son, on sunday he took a gold medal Roe buck at 463.12yds with his .177 gamo, ok only 6ft pounds you may say but its all about shot placement, he didnt take any chances though bless him, he took the heart lung shot. :hmm:

Never got my bird in the eye, she's got a big mouth and its mostly open :lol:. On a more serious note boy is there some shooting talent in the uk. Take my 7 year old son, on sunday he took a gold medal Roe buck at 463.12yds with his .177 gamo, ok only 6ft pounds you may say but its all about shot placement, he didnt take any chances though bless him, he took the heart lung shot. :hmm:

You're obviously teaching the boy well, well done! :good::lol:

There's a lot of bull written about accuracy, especially about the HMR. Real world experience with the HMR shows me that it's rubbish at anything over 1200yds, especially if the wind is strong. I zero mine at 750 yds, which means I can aim pretty much dead on up to 1000yds, which is my maximum range for shooting rabbits. I could probably stretch it a bit if I took chest shots, but I prefer the brain shot. I limit the range to about 800 for fox as, to be honest, the little HMR is starting to run out of steam by then and I wouldn't want to risk wounding.

I reckon if I need to shoot live quarry at more than 1000yds I'll buy a Hornet, bloke at the pub has one and he shoots fox at long range, in fact he has a permission in Essex but he doesn't like to pay the Dartford Tunnel toll so he shoots them from the foreshore at Margate. Obviously as a responsible shooter he checks to see if there are any ships on the Thames first.

;)

There's a lot of bull written about accuracy, especially about the HMR. Real world experience with the HMR shows me that it's rubbish at anything over 1200yds, especially if the wind is strong. I zero mine at 750 yds, which means I can aim pretty much dead on up to 1000yds, which is my maximum range for shooting rabbits. I could probably stretch it a bit if I took chest shots, but I prefer the brain shot. I limit the range to about 800 for fox as, to be honest, the little HMR is starting to run out of steam by then and I wouldn't want to risk wounding.

I reckon if I need to shoot live quarry at more than 1000yds I'll buy a Hornet, bloke at the pub has one and he shoots fox at long range, in fact he has a permission in Essex but he doesn't like to pay the Dartford Tunnel toll so he shoots them from the foreshore at Margate. Obviously as a responsible shooter he checks to see if there are any ships on the Thames first.

;)

TOTAL CLASS NEARLY FELL OFF CHAIR WITH LAUGHING :yes:

Shot a talban setting up his mortar from a rooftop. range?- blooming long way to afganistan from Lancashire i can tell you but the curvature of the earth helped out with the drop some, still it was a lucky shot but the HW80's a fine gun :good:

;)

Proper laugh out loud. :lol:

just wondering what is the longest shot you have ever done on a live target and with what caliber i shoot a 22/250 and shoot rabbits at 500 yards regularly but its not my best

cheers crocket

Wrong forum for long range talk Crocket, as most on here don't/can't shoot long range they will tell you it is impossible/immoral/unbelievable.

I'll PM you another forum to look at if you're interested in long range work, a forum where you will get good help and advice rather than

sarcasm and **** taking.

Edited by Browning

;)

I want the name and address of that mate of yours cos he's in BIG TROUBLE!

I was out fishing just off Dungeness that other day and my boat was hit by a round from an HMR! I think you need to teach him a bit about wind deviation!

I wouldn't have minded but I was realing in a 75 pound cod at the time using my number 4 (double taper, floating) fly line and a size 14 dry fly, the shock nearly made me loose it but I managed to land it after playing it for about 2 minutes and the wife made a lovely fish finger out of it for my tea! But I'm not happy about the 6 inch hole in my boat! (Those HMR rounds do expand well, don't they!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I do have a .22 but next to no experience with rifles, shotguns for me mainly and with these I can count on hitting teal type clays at around 110 yards max. Anything less say about 40 - 50 yards is so dead it`s almost embarrassing with 28g loads.

Lately I have been trying some 21 gram loads to make things a little more testing but so far have found that they pattern so much better that it just about doubled my teal shattering capabilities. Now thinking of buying a 9 mm garden gun for my Sunday fix but can`t find a O/U version :angry: .

I want the name and address of that mate of yours cos he's in BIG TROUBLE!

I was out fishing just off Dungeness that other day and my boat was hit by a round from an HMR! I think you need to teach him a bit about wind deviation!

I doubt if it was bloke in the pub, he shoots Hornet and he never misses.

You were probably hit by a stray HMR from Navy excercises near Portsmouth, they're rolling it out to replace the 50BMG for use against fast Somali raiding parties. The 50 is a fine round within limits, but it hasn't got a ballistic tip so it doesn't stop the pirate vessels as quickly as the HMR - important if he's firing an RPG at you !

An unexpected bonus, with bulk buying power the Navy gets HMR ammo for just £9.99 a box of 50, every penny counts when you've got to find £7billion extra for your new aircraft carrier.

;)

I doubt if it was bloke in the pub, he shoots Hornet and he never misses.

You were probably hit by a stray HMR from Navy excercises near Portsmouth, they're rolling it out to replace the 50BMG for use against fast Somali raiding parties. The 50 is a fine round within limits, but it hasn't got a ballistic tip so it doesn't stop the pirate vessels as quickly as the HMR - important if he's firing an RPG at you !

An unexpected bonus, with bulk buying power the Navy gets HMR ammo for just £9.99 a box of 50, every penny counts when you've got to find £7billion extra for your new aircraft carrier.

;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not sure of the actual range but I once shot myself in the bum with a dart from a Gat air pistol :(

I understand it doesn't sound as impressive as castrating gnats and as I have quite a big bum it's a fairly easy target but I was firing away from me at the time and after circumnavigating the Earth it actually hit me at 4:52pm 8 days later. Obviously if I had been shooting in the opposite direction with prevailing head winds it would have missed as I would have gone home for my tea by the time it got there. An easy mistake to make but this is how you learn to shoot responsibly :)

Edited by phaedra1106

Wrong forum for long range talk Crocket, as most on here don't/can't shoot long range they will tell you it is impossible/immoral/unbelievable.

I'll PM you another forum to look at if you're interested in long range work, a forum where you will get good help and advice rather than

sarcasm and **** taking.

Some on here can and will shoot long range up to 1200 yards , but not at live quarry . Target shooting is a different matter and at least the results are marked by markers and witnessed .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser