whats your favourite fox calibre?

kent

Ok lets not start a war here, but tell us what your favourite foxing calibre is, why you chose it and why it works for YOU no falling out now!

Heres mine: std .243" win

Why;

It can shoot 55 grn bullets when a light fast fragmenting round is required at around 4000 fps mark

It's better on windage than a hot std calibre / twist rate .22 c/fire using 70-80 grn bullets and i need that

It can do double duty as a Deer rifle using 95 grn hunting bullets on smaller stuff, 100 grn gamekings on medium deer and partisions on the big stuff

Recoil is negligable with all loads enabling accurate shooting from most posisions

perhaps the best magazine feeding from a 6mm calibre

easy to obtain reloading componants and factory ammo, that last one is a big thing if you have just driven 200 miles and forgot your ammo

Because of the light recoil lightweight guns are just fine

Now whats yours and why?

Edited by kent

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tough one. I've shot by far the most with my .22 Hornet but I'm not sure I'd rate that as the best.

Commenting from the guns I've had, for serious fox use I'm swinging between .223 (more than enough for most situations) and the .243 (more than enough for any situation!

I think if I had to vote I'd say .243. It's got the poke to put them down at silly ranges and you'd have to put in a seriously silly shot placement for a runner to make it far. With something like a 75gr varmint bullet it will literally rip chunks off of them as you well know. :yes:

Hiya,

gotta be .222 cause that's what I use :)

every Fox drops on the spot without even a twitch out to 260 yards with 50 grains of lead, next to no recoil and you can see your bullet hit home through the scope, Reasonably quite, a doddle to reload and even factory loads are good in it and they are cheap enough to let you use it as a vermin control gun also.

It also works just as well on Roe up here :)

I used to love my .222 for foxing with - Accurate, more than enough clout and not too loud! But now I have to say the .243 is my favourite for foxing with as it is the only centrefire that I have. Using 75g home loads which a friend makes up specially for me it is deadly and accurate out to silly ranges and I don't get any runners, when you hit a fox with it the fox goes down and it stays down!

The plus side to this is that when I want to go back to Partizan 100g for deer I know exactly what adjustments I need to make for re-zeroing scope so it only takes a couple of shots to check.

The .243 has to be my ideal "dual purpose" rifle :good:

The one i have in my hands at the time.For 100 yards and closer at night,with moonlight or Pulsar Digisight the .17hmr is my choice.Any other time its the .243 but that doesnt mean they are better or worse than other calibres.It just so happens they are what i own and bullet placement mean more than bullet size.

Why are you mentioning deer in your topic when the question is about the favourite fox calibre?

Edited by sako751sg

Its a hard one as a true foxing caliber the .243 does seem to be very hard to beat. What load are you using to get a chronoed 4000fps kent as it appears varget you can't get near it?

Mine seems to shoot most things with just a vertical difference in zero, my usual 85grn soft points are zeroed at 100 yards. 75grn vmax shoot an inch low if I make no adjustments and 55grn's seem to be an inch and a half high. All of which make it very versatile and with a bit of playing powder wise I reckon the 75's and 85's will shoot the same POI

Killing wise there isn't much difference between that and the .223 dead is dead, though if shooting a high seat in woodland I'll occasionally take the HMR as it does the job well at close quarters and with a lot less noise which is useful if you are clearing up cubs.

So simple answer is the whole thread is a load of bull poop as it is all down to different opinions

Its a hard one as a true foxing caliber the .243 does seem to be very hard to beat. What load are you using to get a chronoed 4000fps kent as it appears varget you can't get near it?

Mine seems to shoot most things with just a vertical difference in zero, my usual 85grn soft points are zeroed at 100 yards. 75grn vmax shoot an inch low if I make no adjustments and 55grn's seem to be an inch and a half high. All of which make it very versatile and with a bit of playing powder wise I reckon the 75's and 85's will shoot the same POI

Killing wise there isn't much difference between that and the .223 dead is dead, though if shooting a high seat in woodland I'll occasionally take the HMR as it does the job well at close quarters and with a lot less noise which is useful if you are clearing up cubs.

So simple answer is the whole thread is a load of bull poop as it is all down to different opinions

then dont comment- remember no fighting, play nicely now

The one i have in my hands at the time.For 100 yards and closer at night,with moonlight or Pulsar Digisight the .17hmr is my choice.Any other time its the .243 but that doesnt mean they are better or worse than other calibres.It just so happens they are what i own and bullet placement mean more than bullet size.

Why are you mentioning deer in your topic when the question is about the favourite fox calibre?

as versitility on other things is a big one with all uk shooters, being limited to good reason for each firearm. though it dont make it any better at killing foxes . Just like those who choose .222 say in the South for munties cwd and fox etc and those up in Scotland who choose similar for Fox and Roe, here in the North west the .243" is very versitle giving us Sika, Red and Roe. If there was no granting of .243" for fox and deer i supose my choice of foxer might go differently perhaps a .20 with a high bc bullet and far smaller powder charge, recoil, blast with easier moderation?. So yes i see it very relivent

as versitility on other things is a big one with all uk shooters, being limited to good reason for each firearm. though it dont make it any better at killing foxes . Just like those who choose .222 say in the South for munties cwd and fox etc and those up in Scotland who choose similar for Fox and Roe, here in the North west the .243" is very versitle giving us Sika, Red and Roe. If there was no granting of .243" for fox and deer i supose my choice of foxer might go differently perhaps a .20 with a high bc bullet and far smaller powder charge, recoil, blast with easier moderation?. So yes i see it very relivent

I would see it relevant if your topic was asking what is the best calibre for fox and deer or what is the most versatile calibre,and not just fox.

On your basis of versatility then,i will go for a 700 nitro express in case i ever get to shoot elephants.I know some will berate me for it not being a heavy enough round,but ive got big shoulders. :good:

realistically if you answer the actual question most people who do serious fox control would say the 22-250 historically the fox caliber. .22cf's have become more popular due to being cheaper to shoot and barrel life but balistically the 22-250 is pretty similar to the .243 when you use lighter bullets

realistically if you answer the actual question most people who do serious fox control would say the 22-250 historically the fox caliber. .22cf's have become more popular due to being cheaper to shoot and barrel life but balistically the 22-250 is pretty similar to the .243 when you use lighter bullets

On the basis of a fox only round,you probably are correct as it being one of the best calibres solely for fox.I knew an old fella whose fox count would have astounded most folks,and he relied and swore by the .220 swift but again its all personal preference.

Hi

.222 is my favourite for foxes. Shoots very well for me, light to carry and in Tikka 595 format short enough for ease of getting in/out of vehicles.

Having said that I will use whatever I have with me at the time - out of .22lr/.243W/.270W/.300WM. Never had one argue so far.........

Caveat - all at appropriate and suitable situations that fit in with me.

Cheers