Urban Fox Shooting

Residential would be understating it. The County ground is in the middle of Hove, Flanked on 3 sides by 6+ floor storey blocks of flats and surrounded by over a mile of residential streets in any direction!

Seems a little poorly planned to say the least.

Theres absolutely no excuse for not using a moderator. :huh:

Not only was it the middle of the night, but hearing gunshot in any built up area is going to get a response - what was the guy thinking? or not thinking it would seem :no:

A bit more bad publicity to rile the anti's :no:

Please point me in the direction of this wonderful moderator that will make a c/f silent.

:stupid:

It was done legally-whats the bloody problem??? Why should we sneak around out of publics view if what we are doing isnt breaking the law?? Good on the cricket club to get it sorted properly!

sorry but it doesnt say it was a un moderated rifle , my browning still rings out even with a "good" mod on the end . a pro i would expect would have suveyed the ground first and picked a sensible spot to fire from and where the expected shot to end .

just my thoughts

adi

After reading the report is seems quite obvious to me that the pest control company were acting legally and responsibly so where is the problem - apart from the antis and the furry friend huggers that are only prepared to see things with tunnel vision.

One thing that I note from the report is that Sussex Police are reported as saying ""It is not in violation of a firearms licence to shoot vermin at night on private property, therefore no further action is being taken." - They knew (I assume) beforehand that it was a fox being shot but they were still happy to classify it as "Vermin"!

Neighbours reported hearing 3 loud bangs, that doesn't sound moderated. A Predator 12 or an ASE on even a .308 with lapua sub-sonic ammo is incredibly quiet.

I'm not saying they have done anything illegal, just that given what has been reported it seems it could have been done quieter which would have saved the outcry.

They should have baited the fox into a safe (& short range) area and used a .22LR with moderator and subsonics.

At 50 yards or less that is the tool for the job and if it's a pest control company a few bags of sand, compost anything to soak up the bullet (just behind the bait) would have solved the unwanted attention because no one would be any the wiser.

Amateurs !!!

Cheers

AndyCM

This is old news, over a year old :rolleyes:

The date on the page says 8th July 2011, but as you point out, the story ran last April, my bad.

IMO it's still a valid discussion. As I see it, that's a really bad PR exercise, for the club but also for the shooter, and, by association shooting in general. :hmm:

Edited by -Mongrel-

I got bored a couple of line in...I do this all the time, including on a Cricket and Football club, and Hotel Garden, several Golf courses and Company Grounds, etc, etc.

It is LEGAL and Humane if done appropriately.

Just another slow news day locally by the sound of things!

Edited by Dekers

Three short words poxy tree huggers!!

I'm sorry but is there a more humane way of removing a fox from it's habitat. To trap it would cause it considerable stress, taking away food sources isnt going to do sod all, poxy 'conservationalists' who have no idea. Annoys me more than when fox hunting was banned! Might go shoot the mangey little critter in my back field that looks like it's malnourished and send em a picture on grounds of 'conservation'!

Edited by Brad93

it seems they acted in the right manor .but police wouldnt have attended if they had logged in with the police firstly . and a nice remark from the RSPCA thou. remove the food sauce and they wont enter :hmm: right lads before the match starts start pulling out the worms and bugs from under your feet first :lol: :lol: :lol:

it seems they acted in the right manor .but police wouldnt have attended if they had logged in with the police firstly . and a nice remark from the RSPCA thou. remove the food sauce and they wont enter :hmm: right lads before the match starts start pulling out the worms and bugs from under your feet first :lol: :lol: :lol:

And don't forget to dispose of your half eaten cold Kebab responsibly - Although I'm told by a quite reliable source that foxes don't like them so much if you put plenty of extra hot chilli sauce on them! :lol::lol::lol:

But according to the police and the pest control firm they did log the job first.

The world's gone mad.

On stories like this I imagine the look of bemusement that would be on my grandparents' faces if they were still alive and I had to explain the news story to them. They would really believe that the loonies were running the nuthouse.

The world's gone mad.

On stories like this I imagine the look of bemusement that would be on my grandparents' faces if they were still alive and I had to explain the news story to them. They would really believe that the loonies were running the nuthouse.

And they would, of course, be quite correct.

They should have baited the fox into a safe (& short range) area and used a .22LR with moderator and subsonics.

At 50 yards or less that is the tool for the job and if it's a pest control company a few bags of sand, compost anything to soak up the bullet (just behind the bait) would have solved the unwanted attention because no one would be any the wiser.

Amateurs !!!

Cheers

AndyCM

That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter. I've shot trapped foxes less than twenty yards from where neighbours have been putting their washing out. They may look up and wonder what the thud is, but they're never alarmed because it doesn't sound like a gun.

Bait and a mobile backstop is the answer if they won't go in a trap. I do prefer a trap every time though as you don't have to hang around and wait for them - just turn up, do the deed and leave again.