Foreign Aid

jacksdad

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Financial disaster, I blame the City. It's a money merry-go-round. The problem is those that made fortunes off the back of this disaster have long since taken their bonuses and cleared off.

Re: Tax, as someone who owns a small business and pays a fortune in tax I genuinely have no idea what you are on about. We play our numbers by the book and I am in an over regulated industry so the result is I pay a fortune in tax, audit and accountancy charges. I think I would be happy with shorter working hours, no responsibility for the success or failure of the business and no responsibility for employees who count on getting paid each month.

Re: Charity, there is no difference between one pound 'given away' and another. The fact and the act is of 'giving'. If people exercise choice in where and who they give to, that is their business - it doesn't make them less charitable or racist.

Yours was the last kind of business I was referring to; I know how much regulation and transparency there is in your kind of business compared to many others - it's part of the reason the hourly rates are as high as they are and it's not something I have any gripes about. My point was that not everyone operates that way - not that everyone who is self-employed avoids tax.

Your point on charity is I believe universally agreed.

Assuming that everybody that is self employed has the same continuity of work as their PAYE brethren? Self employed folk have no sick pay, no holiday pay and lack security. The piffling difference in tax hardly offsets this. How many PAYE employees would leave their secure numbers to go self employed and take the risk. Not many.

If there were more jobs full stop there would be less need for cuts to public spending but as a huge chunk are going to foreign workers what hope is there?

There would be less need for the cuts in public spending if the money earnt by UK foreign workers didn't get sent abroad. Discuss.

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to make these points; same old same old.

As far as I'm aware the vast majority of people who are self employed do so through choice.

What planet are you on regards to security with PAYE employees? Not this one I venture!

My point was that if everyone operated legitimately then there would, amongst other things, be more money for public sector jobs.

No, you're right it's all because of foreign workers.

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to make these points; same old same old.

As far as I'm aware the vast majority of people who are self employed do so through choice.

What planet are you on regards to security with PAYE employees? Not this one I venture!

My point was that if everyone operated legitimately then there would, amongst other things, be more money for public sector jobs.

No, you're right it's all because of foreign workers.

No no, you're right Raja, its all because of self employed workers. Do me a favour.

Most self employed trades in Construction are self employed as working on the cards is virtually impossible now. Thats my point. With PAYE comes holiday and sick pay, free lance you get nixy plus a rake of other costs to keep books up, insurances etc etc.

Edited by ack-ack

What are we going to invest with and what military?

Well, instead of *giving* money or aid (of any description) to the likes of China, India, Africa etc I reckon we should just pool our resources and buy an African Country - nothing too big or flashy but something with good soil, a nice climate, mineral reserves and something by the sea that Easy Jet will fly to from Stanstead. I doubt it will cost that much - a handful of the most obscene Rolexs, a couple of Rollers with gold rims and a long weekend in Vegas with some blond hookers. Hell, I reckon there's a few lads at BAE who could hook it all up in a jiffy.

Then instead of decomissioning the Arc Royal we moor it off the coastal to our newly purchased African Country and then build a f-off military base there and a couple of Center Parcs by the Coast.

Job jobbed.

Well, instead of *giving* money or aid (of any description) to the likes of China, India, Africa etc I reckon we should just pool our resources and buy an African Country - nothing too big or flashy but something with good soil, a nice climate, mineral reserves and something by the sea that Easy Jet will fly to from Stanstead. I doubt it will cost that much - a handful of the most obscene Rolexs, a couple of Rollers with gold rims and a long weekend in Vegas with some blond hookers. Hell, I reckon there's a few lads at BAE who could hook it all up in a jiffy.

Then instead of decomissioning the Arc Royal we moor it off the coastal to our newly purchased African Country and then build a f-off military base there and a couple of Center Parcs by the Coast.

Job jobbed.

I'm with you on that, in fact I've already bought a little bit of Africa myself ;) If you promise not to laugh I'll tell you about it on Saturday

I am no spring chicken and for as long as I can remember financial aid has been given to most of the same regions in the world and the problem still persists to the same or higher level.Money is obviously not the answer and I believe never will be.

I certainly agree that charity begins at home especially in these trying times & all overseas aid from UK should be suspended for the foreseeable future.

I personally do not want our government giving on my behalf.Especially when their 'humanitarian and charitable' motives are questionable and are very hard to disagree with without being considered heartless or callous.Any private individual of course can contribute whatever they can afford should they so wish.

The only people who do not seem to be affected by the sight of chldren dying are the leaders of the regions concerned and they are the ones who are in the best position to do something about it.

Re: Charity, there is no difference between one pound 'given away' and another. The fact and the act is of 'giving'. If people exercise choice in where and who they give to, that is their business - it doesn't make them less charitable or racist.

Yup, but as I say, I prefer to give to something that will more than likely save a life or prevent major suffering. £ for someone in a third world despot run country who is dying of malnutrition or de-hydration or £ to Joe Blow selling the Big Issue........ no brainer.

What so people don't die on the streets in the UK and need the help of the Salvation Army? People don't die of Cancer and need help from Marie Curie or Cancer Research? Old people don't freeze and die each winter and need help from Help the Aged? Children don't die and don't need treatment at Great Ormand Street?

Throw a tenner into any of the buckets for the above organisations and at least you are guaranteed it won't end up on the wrist of a General or Politician....

What so people don't die on the streets in the UK and need the help of the Salvation Army? People don't die of Cancer and need help from Marie Curie or Cancer Research? Old people don't freeze and die each winter and need help from Help the Aged? Children don't die and don't need treatment at Great Ormand Street?

Throw a tenner into any of the buckets for the above organisations and at least you are guaranteed it won't end up on the wrist of a General or Politician....

Personally I prefer these people Giving what we can.

Per capita and asa a broad base of all ills that can be cheaply cured, it hits my switches and by-passes any junta.

I must now sue the Daily Mail for stealing my editorial commentary: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016677/Cameron-warns-Africans-Chinese-invasion-pour-billions-continent.html

We are complete mugs that "give" money and aid away and our "thanks" is a kick in the nuts and the next wave of disgruntled suicide bombers and terrorists.

Now give it a few years and wait for Chinese security services occupation of sections of Africa :yes:

What is purpose of the aid? We are buying good will in the hope of contracts to supply services, build stuff, flog guns, etc. The government pay the aid but recover that through taxes paid by UK companies who "win" contracts.

Cameron's point about China winning the new scramble for Africa is a more important story than some journos eavesdropping on some mobile phones, but it's lost in the chatter.

Don't complain when we can't export or source raw materials because the Chinese/Russians/Septics/French have knocked up a sports stadium/hospital/US AID/brown envelope and locked us out.

A further issue is that of ensuring we're spending what little aid we give wisely. I'd spend it all on mercenaries such as the Wild Geese and simply depose anybody who won't "buy British," so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment...

Edited by Flashman

Prob been said before but its a free country

Please find below our suggestion for fixing the UK's economy.

Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 10 million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them £1 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.

Ten million job openings - unemployment fixed

2) They MUST buy a new British car.

Ten million cars ordered - Car Industry fixed

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage -

Housing Crisis fixed

4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university -

Crime rate fixed

5) They MUST buy £100 WORTH of alcohol/tobacco a week .....

And there's your money back in duty/tax etc

It can't get any easier than that!

P..S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.

Also………..

Let's put the pensioners in jail and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks.

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell.

They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling, pool and education.

Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid would be free, on request.

Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens.

Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The criminals would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week. Live in a tiny room and pay £600.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out.

Think about this (more points of contention):

COWS

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Appleby almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the county of Cumbria?

And, they even tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 125,000 illegal immigrants wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also;

Think about this ... If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is time for us grumpy old folk of Britain to speak up

What is purpose of the aid? We are buying good will in the hope of contracts to supply services, build stuff, flog guns, etc. The government pay the aid but recover that through taxes paid by UK companies who "win" contracts.

Cameron's point about China winning the new scramble for Africa is a more important story than some journos eavesdropping on some mobile phones, but it's lost in the chatter.

Don't complain when we can't export or source raw materials because the Chinese/Russians/Septics/French have knocked up a sports stadium/hospital/US AID/brown envelope and locked us out.

A further issue is that of ensuring we're spending what little aid we give wisely. I'd spend it all on mercenaries such as the Wild Geese and simply depose anybody who won't "buy British," so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment...

At last the sense of reason. Flashman for PM.

antuk99 ...... Correct, I'll go with that .... :good:

As we have discussed before the problem is that it doesn't cost Millions to do that it costs 10 Trillion do do it (using the accepted definition of a Trillion being 10 to the power of 12).

http://globalrichlist.com/

I'm a little peturbed by some people's calousness towards others, but then we're all greedy and look after number one first just some of us dress it up more cleverly. I say that having worked for a charity, support charities and work to help others each day, albeit for a pay packet.

They are people. They are suffering. They've got ****** all. Realistically we've got loads as we're all on computers reading this and we all fire lead in to the air for fun. It can't be fixed easily, it would have happened if we could. But I think we should try nevertheless.

I spent a little time in Uganda working for a charity. When you live with these people, you realise how fortunate we've got it and what we take as our right to have is greed. After 4 weeks of nothing but smokey tasting water, a Sprite never tasted so good, so good that it took me 30 minutes to drink it. Back home, I'd hardly even notice the taste.