Reccomend a nice scotch

alexf

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now come on chaps - he asked for a smooth whisky.

Dalwhinnie every time :good: :good:

The first sip of Laphroaig comes as a severe shock to the taste buds (although the numbing effect afterwards can be quite attractive),

Talisker is by far the most 'tasteful' in terms of an immediate hit of peat, seaweed and gannet droppings. Excellent stuff :D :D

Now come on chaps - he asked for a smooth whisky.

Dalwhinnie every time :good: :good:

The first sip of Laphroaig comes as a severe shock to the taste buds (although the numbing effect afterwards can be quite attractive),

Talisker is by far the most 'tasteful' in terms of an immediate hit of peat, seaweed and gannet droppings. Excellent stuff :D :D

must try sometime.............. :lol::good:

Just happened upon this thread and am much cheered to see that many of you gentlemen "south of the border" have good taste in whiskies. For the record, an acquaintance of mine, who is a real enthusiast and something of an expert, reckons that 14 year-old Scapa is THE BEST. Hard to come by, though - Scapa was silent for a number of years.

Gimlet - you need to buy a map!! Highland Park - a Speyside???

The range of whiskys from Dalmore to support the river trust charities are all excllent. I was involved in the tasting process for all of these and i believe Dalmore really put serious effort into making these very drinkable and collectable.

I like the Dee Dram best, but all are excellent. I give a bottle to each of my land owners as part of our christmas bundle.

It is also good to know that each sale will put some money into the river charities.

Anything from Islay will be intense and not the 'smooth' you are after. I love them all, even been to them. Speyside can be a little burning in my opinion.

So for smooth I'd go for Oban, wonderfully complex but mellow enough, yet not flowery like the Irish wiskeys. If that's not easy to find, Talisker would be my other recommendation. Enjoy!

:stupid:

Just happened upon this thread and am much cheered to see that many of you gentlemen "south of the border" have good taste in whiskies. For the record, an acquaintance of mine, who is a real enthusiast and something of an expert, reckons that 14 year-old Scapa is THE BEST. Hard to come by, though - Scapa was silent for a number of years.

Gimlet - you need to buy a map!! Highland Park - a Speyside???

I'm sorry. I stand corrected. Damn good though wherever its from.

Meant to add Cull Isla but can't remember if thats how to spell it. Its a smokey masterpiece.

Have I got it right?

does it have to be a scotch? i drink (too much) Bushmills. obviously not peaty but smoother than barry white on a sledge. jamesons also nice tipple but not quite up to bushmills standard. as an aside, if you ever take a holiday to ireland, antrim i think it was, then you can take a trip around the bushmills distillery. more interesting than it sounds!

Having tried far too many for my own good, I have yet to find anything nicer than Tullamore Dew.

An Irish whiskey that has until very recently been very difficult to get hold of in the UK.

Has been available in ASDA since last Xmas and more recently in Sainsburys.

Not expensive at under £20.

One warning, once tasted it spoils the rest.

I have on one occasion got on a ferry to Ireland purely to purchase a few bottles.

Edited by 39TDS

Meant to add Cull Isla but can't remember if thats how to spell it. Its a smokey masterpiece.

Have I got it right?

Almost - Caol Ila, got a bottle in front of me now. Not bad at all!

Havent read all of the thread, but if it is really smooth you are after (ie 'beginners whisky' - not meant to be offensive), Irish whiskeys will fit the bill: Jamesons perhaps.

On the scotch front, Aberlour will fit the bill - stocked in most supermarkets too.

After recommending Dalwhinnie, I would also commend Ardbeg, which I was bought as a leaving present.

I havent left it yet.

In truth i find the scots exceptionally good at the whisky thing, so I'm surprised they want to ditch their biggest market.

My 'fellow feeling' for the Scots will translate into a 'love' of English whisky, if they decide to go for self rule instead of being amongst equals.

The auld enemy is no longer but simply a close friend.

Edited by Kes

As bertie says, Monkey Shoulder, tucked into some the other week and what a tipple, i`m not usually a scotch drinker, prefering bourbon then irish but this is great. :good::good::good:

And my son is named after the Irish whiskey "Paddy", after one too many on honeymoon 19 years ago :wub::wub: