Crow in the pattern

*zinc

H guys

I was speaking to a guy the other day and he advised to put a crow decoy in a pigeon pattern.

The set up we use is whurlie at the front the the horseshoe coming off this.

The guy then advised to put a crow inside the pattern as if it has landed up.

Any one do this/tried this and does it work?

Apparently it's because the crow is smarter then the pigeon so, if it's good enough for a crow then it's good enough for the pigeon.

If you follow that logic, I would suggest you add a cunning fox, a clever badger, a devious magpie, a smart jackdaw, an eagle (for its eyesight) and an elephant (they never forget).

With that layout the pigeons will be super confident. :lol:

If I see rooks/crows near pigeons on a crop, I will put a few crow decoys 20 yards away from the pigeons (I don't mix them up).

It is noticeable to me that pigeons will come in to a crow only decoy layout, but crows rarely come in to pigeon only decoys.

Its also my experience that crows/rooks do not like pigeons on a rotary, it seems to really spook them, but crow decoys on a rotary really draw them in.

I put 2 crows about 15-20 yards outside the pattern last week and i think it worked? The pigeons werent put off by it anyway. Its supposed to give the pigeons more confidence in the area as crows are more easily spooked etc. Seems to make sense.

If you follow that logic, I would suggest you add a cunning fox, a clever badger, a devious magpie, a smart jackdaw, an eagle (for its eyesight) and an elephant (they never forget).

With that layout the pigeons will be super confident. :lol:

If I see rooks/crows near pigeons on a crop, I will put a few crow decoys 20 yards away from the pigeons (I don't mix them up).

It is noticeable to me that pigeons will come in to a crow only decoy layout, but crows rarely come in to pigeon only decoys.

Its also my experience that crows/rooks do not like pigeons on a rotary, it seems to really spook them, but crow decoys on a rotary really draw them in.

I go with the above.

I put 2 crows about 15-20 yards outside the pattern last week and i think it worked? The pigeons werent put off by it anyway. Its supposed to give the pigeons more confidence in the area as crows are more easily spooked etc. Seems to make sense.

I think this is another one of these pigeon shooting myths. Pigeons have no way of knowing that crows are more 'clever' or 'wary'.

If you want to decoy pigeons, it makes no difference if you put crows in your layout. If you want to shoot a few crows, add some crow decoys.

Used the tactic many years back a cpl of crow decs outside the pigeon pattern and do remember shooting both decoying pigeon and crows, it got so busy with birds comming in that the pigeon and crows were dogfighting over the decs , was great to watch and never seen the likes of it again but then I dont use that tactic now or shoot crows.

I eventualy pulled in the crow decs after downing about 25 of both pigeon and crows and left the pigeon decs out.

I also put a few Magpie decoys in the pattern, or on a fence post/hedgerow if near by. As most people know, Magpie's are very wary birds, and if they are on the ground etc, then other bird's should get confidence by this, and hopefully come into the pattern.

Human beings know magpies are wary. I'm not sure any birds do.

tried putting a single crow in the pattern.....definatly works, think it gives the pigeons confidence...what i do like to do is to put plenty of black bootpolish on the crow decoy and give it a good buff up..it looks a treat....i put a few pigeon decoys on the lawn out side the dog kennells and they didnt bat an eyelid.......then took them away and put a shiny crow deek out they all went balistic...it looked so menising

ditchman

• 2 weeks later...

tried putting a single crow in the pattern.....definatly works, think it gives the pigeons confidence...what i do like to do is to put plenty of black bootpolish on the crow decoy and give it a good buff up..it looks a treat....i put a few pigeon decoys on the lawn out side the dog kennells and they didnt bat an eyelid.......then took them away and put a shiny crow deek out they all went balistic...it looked so menising

ditchman

Nice thanks alot for trying this out. W still have not managed to get out shooting due to the weather, or working during the pigeon shooting weather. But all good advise. WellI exept for the single barrel. I dont want a single barrel for pigeon shooting!