Frontera or Cherokee

tikka.223

Right,after much pondering I've narrowed my search for a 4X4 down to a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 litre petrol or a 1997 Frontera 2.0litre petrol.

It will do very little miles as will be only used for shooting and for the winter(if its as bad as last year).

Is one as capable off road as the other?

Problems?

If it was you who had the choice of these two what one would you go for and why?

TIA

I've had both the trucks you mentioned and there's no competition Frontera all day long fantastic truck. Neither of them are great on fuel though. I went with the petrol 2l sport first and only swapped for a Lwb as the family is getting bigger, I had the Swb for five years all I did was put a new radiator and alternator on it started and stopped great all that time, used AT2 tyres on it and was never stuck.

Good luck looking, (the Cherokee was bloody comfy though)

neither is probably the wrong answer but I'd still look for something diesel, in your situation a fourtrak or trooper would be high up the list

+1

When I was buying I had the same requirements as listed.

I narrowed to Fourtrak or Trooper 3.1 and chose the Fourtrak... :yes:

neither is probably the wrong answer but I'd still look for something diesel, in your situation a fourtrak or trooper would be high up the list

I'll remind you of that the next time my SWB is transporting your **** round most of the SW Herts countryside ;)

I was turned off the idea of a Frontera as heard they go through transfer boxes and are then pretty much useless. Also a lot were used by horsey people so have had a hard life towing horse boxes. What bout a 3ltr petrol shogun we had one of the earliest ones with over 200,000 miles on the clock we drove it into the scrap yard still with 6 months mot on it as we were offered a diesel trooper for silly money from a friend and no one could beat the scrapmans offer for the shogun. Also I bet the MPG aint worse than a frontera and better than the cherokee.

Thanks for the replies.

Been and looked at a 97 Frontera today,12 months MOT and has two problems that I found.First is the rear diff is leaking all be it very little and the heater switch for the fan doesnt work but apart from that its rough enough :lol:

Asking price was £750 maybe Im expecting to much.

I have a swb series a frontera 2 litre petrol apache,its brilliant for lamping and driving around fields,fitted with grabber at2 i have never been stuck,so quiet i scared a woman walking her gog as she never heard me,roof comes off with 4 clips to make a safe standing area,a lot more comfortable than a defender back breaker.

Not a lot of power,but then plenty for a shooting truck which is all its used for,fuel economy is poor especially if its in 4wd with 3 fat blokes in it lamping.

Buy it :good:

Join 'muddyfronteras' do some mods and get insurance through frank pickles,my one was under £200,thats cheap shooting truck

Thanks for the replies.

Been and looked at a 97 Frontera today,12 months MOT and has two problems that I found.First is the rear diff is leaking all be it very little and the heater switch for the fan doesnt work but apart from that its rough enough :lol:

I would have thought that for £600 you could pick up a good one people are practically giving large 4x4s away as the cost of fuel is going up and up you should have no problem finding a good one.

Thanks for the replies.

Is it leaking from the diff plate or the pinion seal?

The diff plate is a well known issue...

Edited by garyb

Is it leaking from the diff plate or the pinion seal?

The diff plate is a well known issue...

Its from the diff plate,took the jeep for a test drive(5mins) and when I came back there was a strong smell of transmission fluid gad a look underneath and it was comming out of the plate.A repair had been made on it with instant gasket but it hadnt worked.There also was a shudder comming from the rear when moving off on the test drive,prop shaft needing attention?? :rolleyes:

I can't comment on a Jeep but I can about the Frontera. I am in the process of selling my Frontera 2.0 Sport (I am just waiting for the buyer to collect and make the final payment). I have had it for 4 years and in that time I have never got it stuck once regardless of the weather or terrain and it has cost me very little to maintain and keep on the road.

I was at an equestrain event the other month and there was a Disco stuck in the mud with a horse box on the back with a horse in it - My Fronty pulled it out without any problems!

The Frontera 2.0 Sport is (In my opinion) the perfect 4X4 for shooting out of, especially if you are lamping and have someone to do the driving for you. By undoing the 4 clips from inside the motor the rear section of roof lifts straight off and all you have to do is to fold the rear seats forwards and you have a perfect lamping motor. As for rear difs or transfet boxes all I can say is that I have never had a single problem with mine and never had any signs of oil leaks! Repairs are quite easy to do, spares are reasonably priced, it is not overly expencive on fuel and the insurance is reasonable! The only thing that I will fault on the Frontera 2.0 spoprt is the fact that there is not all that much room in the back for shooting equipment (Decoys, rotorary, hide, etc: unless you fold the rear seats forward which can be done in a matter of a couple of seconds.

In a way I will sorely miss my Fronty and I am only selling it for economic reasons as it has just gone through yet another MOT without having to have much spent on it.

I have had pretty much everything 4x4 to date i am presently using a Trooper which is my second Isuzu after the trooper i would go for the fourtrak then a Shogun a mate of mine bought a cherokee jeep 2.5 diesel and it had low mileage used for private use only 1 owner from new and it was a pill cylinder head went electric motors for the windows packed up and this was a newish vehicle he paid around £8000 for it and got £2500 at auction within a year of buying it i am not mistaken the diesel engine jeep use is the Alfa Romeo commercial engine i am sure it has four cylinder heads . my opinion only

Good luck John

Edited by steyrman

I have had pretty much everything 4x4 to date i am presently using a Trooper which is my second Isuzu after the trooper i would go for the fourtrak then a Shogun a mate of mine bought a cherokee jeep 2.5 diesel and it had low mileage used for private use only 1 owner from new and it was a pill cylinder head went electric motors for the windows packed up and this was a newish vehicle he paid around £8000 for it and got £2500 at auction within a year of buying it i am not mistaken the diesel engine jeep use is the Alfa Romeo commercial engine i am sure it has four cylinder heads . my opinion only

Good luck John

I think the engine you are refering to is the VM unit, it has four cylinder heads and is a bit of a pig to work on to say the least.

If I were to make a choice it would be the Frontera, better vehicle all round and a damn sight cheaper to maintain.