A wander round some new permissions.

BiG_Al

Went for a walk around some new permission I've been given yesterday and at the first one noticed a few Pheaseant running out of some bushes so I loaded up and carried on mooching after a short walk past some good warrens headed upto a small wooded area and could see a cock and about four hens scattering in amoungst the trees so I had a shot and bagged myself a cock. :D First kill with my new shotty so I was well made up :yes:

After calling at the house to see if the land owners would like the bird (to say thanks for the permission) but was told I could keep it :good:

Driving off the land I noticed another cock so quickly but quietly got into the boot and grabbed the gun out of the slip loaded up and took a shot and got him. 2-nil ;)

Went to the next permission a few miles down the road to just show my face and get shown around and boy is it a great bit of land too!

Its got the lot woods, ponds, crops and about three differnt farm yards where I can park up. Will need to do some serious reccy work here but I can see there is a big problem with rabbits and crows.

Just a shame the land owner wasnt in to sign my permission form.

BTW. as the land owner rents out most of the farms will I be OK to just get his details on my form for the right to shoot or will I need the current tennents also? :hmm:

Went for a walk around some new permission I've been given yesterday and at the first one noticed a few Pheaseant running out of some bushes so I loaded up and carried on mooching after a short walk past some good warrens headed upto a small wooded area and could see a cock and about four hens scattering in amoungst the trees so I had a shot and bagged myself a cock. :D First kill with my new shotty so I was well made up :yes:

After calling at the house to see if the land owners would like the bird (to say thanks for the permission) but was told I could keep it :good:

Driving off the land I noticed another cock so quickly but quietly got into the boot and grabbed the gun out of the slip loaded up and took a shot and got him. 2-nil ;)

Went to the next permission a few miles down the road to just show my face and get shown around and boy is it a great bit of land too!

Its got the lot woods, ponds, crops and about three differnt farm yards where I can park up. Will need to do some serious reccy work here but I can see there is a big problem with rabbits and crows.

Just a shame the land owner wasnt in to sign my permission form.

BTW. as the land owner rents out most of the farms will I be OK to just get his details on my form for the right to shoot or will I need the current tennents also? :hmm:

I hope you let the pheasants get up on the wing before you pulled the trigger!?

I don't bother with any written permission so can't really comment on that

Maybe I will get more satisfaction from one in flight like you said, but as it was my first time out I was just glad to come away with a brace of Pheasants.

Well as the tenants have said its OK with them I will just get the owner to sign my permission slip, Just to stay above board so to speak.

Thanks for the reply. :good:

Maybe I will get more satisfaction from one in flight like you said, but as it was my first time out I was just glad to come away with a brace of Pheasants.

Well as the tenants have said its OK with them I will just get the owner to sign my permission slip, Just to stay above board so to speak.

Thanks for the reply. :good:

I'm sure you will unless you buy a 177 air rifle :yp:

Thanks Fud, didn't know I was going to upset soooooo many people with my post.

I did put up a post requesting a trip out with anyone to educate me and thank god for the nice chap that took me for a wander around his permission last Sunday. Just wasn't told that it was illegal to shoot a pheasant off the floor!!!

I was also warned about some of the comments you are to expect from a forum full of experts.

Read my other posts before you send out the lynch mob!

I've asked for advice and asked questions regarding shooting etc.

So don't get frustrated if someone makes a minor etiquette mistake............we all have to learn!

Ok, rather than all piling in, the guy has admitted that he is new to this.

'Sporting' and 'unsporting' is an abstract concept and can vary depending on who you speak to, so it can be confusing for a new shooter.

What hope have we got if every newcomer who makes a mistake gets stomped on?

Well done on finding permission, it is tough going for a lot of people these days!

As for the pheasant, there is nothing illegal in shooting on the ground, but when you get more into shotgun shooting you will find the thrill in the challenge of a difficult bird on the wing.

Good luck with your future trips out!

Al mate, don't be put off ny those few that sound like they "want to have a go at you for shooting a pheasant on the ground"! We all had to start somewhere and I will openly admit that I shot a few on the ground when I first started shooting (More years ago than I care to remember) - I was shooting for the pot then and if it was legal then it was "fair game" - No pun intended!!!!

OK, it might not be classed as sporting to shoot a pheasant that isn't on the wing but I can understand wanting to get something when out on your first outing on a new permission with a new gun, and I see no problem with that! The only thing you need to remember is that while there is a wealth of members only too willing to give out good constructive help and advice on this forum there are also a couple of "keyboard warriors" - which you will always get on the internet!

If you have any questions, no matter how silly they might sound to you, go ahead and ask and just try to ignore the "negative replies" you get!

I'm not too far from you so if there is anything I can help with just say the word, even if it means taking you onto a couple of my permissions to help you get a bit of experience. I don't have much in the way of game and the most of it is just rabbit, pigeon and corvids on my permissions (I do have a few deer but they are "reserved" for me)if I can help I will, you're more than welcome to join me occasionally! :good:

well done bud you can beat haveing your own permissions :good: as for the shooting birds on the ground when flighting ducks (not many pheasants down our way) i used to shoot the first couple on the water so i would always have some thing to take home and now with pigeons and crows ile shoot them on the ground over shooting them in the air.

Thanks frenchie, your welcome to drop me a P.M and show me how its done if you like. Would welcome as much input and help as I can get so I too can become like an expert like some of them off this forum.

Like you say, I am shooting for the pot because if your not you may as well just clear pests and shoot clays!

Edited by BiG_Al