Best 22 LR Sub HP rounds

coneyhunter

The Winchesters are good, accurate and quiet. In my 452, the Eleys are just as accurate, if not better, and are slightly quieter. If my local shop had both I'd buy Eleys, but the difference isn't enough to make me travel further for them.

I'd like to try Lapua subs, but haven't seen them in stock.

its a bit pointless asking for recomendations, whilst saying your CZ loves winnies, as all rifles are different, my 452 hates winnies, yet loves eleys, but the ruger, I'll say loves CCI's, see what I mean, the ammo my rifles like, yours may hate, therefore wasting you money on trying them out, you obviously have found an ammo already, its good on the bunnies, so stick to that,

Forgetting the way individual rifles like/hate different ammo you need to look at the wider picture.

Eley have always had a half decent accuracy reputation based on their target background. Their 40g HP sub is from this stable, with accuracy at the forefront of their intentions. They have lost sight of the purpose of a HP sub.

It is quite accurate, but its terminal performance is poor, expansion is a joke in comparison with the Winchesters, Magtech etc which have a MASSIVE HP that peels back like a mushroom creates a big wound channel and generally imparts most if not all its energy.

Its a bigger picture, and a balance of accuracy and performance is required!

I'm no fan of Eley in the field, Magtech does for me!

Each to their own!

:good:

If Winchester stopped making .22 rounds and I was faced with using Eley subs for the rest of my life, I would weigh my rifle in for scrap, crochet a large flag with "rabbits please die" on it and spend the rest of my days waving the flag at rabbits and hoping for the best.

Hello all,

ive recently been using Winchester super X 40 Grain sub HP's through my cz 22lr and was wandering what people are using and any reccomendations, i find these bullets very accurate and kncoks down bunnies well

my annie hates everything except cci or remmies

If Winchester stopped making .22 rounds and I was faced with using Eley subs for the rest of my life, I would weigh my rifle in for scrap, crochet a large flag with "rabbits please die" on it and spend the rest of my days waving the flag at rabbits and hoping for the best.

I assume your gun doesn't like eley subs

I tried Remington Subsonics (38g) and found them perfectly accurate enough, pretty quiet and quite cheap (£5.95 per 100) in my rifle so I see no reason why I would want to try any different type of ammunition!

The way I see it is "If it aint broke then why try to mend it?) :hmm:

Edited by Frenchieboy

I tried Remington Subsonics (38g) and found them perfectly accurate enough, pretty quiet and quite cheap (£5.95 per 100) in my rifle so I see no reason why I would want to try any different type of ammunition!

The way I see it is "If it aint broke then why try to mend it?) :hmm:

You hit the nail on the head find the round your rifle likes and stick with it. However you do need to start again when you can't get them any more I move regularly and have to use what is sold in the new area. I now have 3 types my gun likes and I can normally get at least 1 wherever I move to.

My Weihrauch likes Lapua SK. If you're shooting at 70 yds or less and your rifle likes Winnies you're unlikely to improve on them. Lapuas really make a difference in my rifle at longer ranges.

I was zeroing my HMR one day with the target at 100 yds and when I'd finished, just out of interest, I shot a group with the .22lr, which is zeroed at 70, just to check the exact drop at that range. It was a perfectly still day, fairly cool, and I was shooting off bags seated at a table. I emptied a mag into the target and as I watched the shots strike the initial hole just got slightly bigger and slightly blacker. I'd have been delighted to get that from the HMR. It might have been luck- I certainly don't shoot like that all the time- but the best I could do with Winchesters was about an inch.

The Lapuas do have a much smaller nose hollow than the Winnies and IMO they are slightly more prone to ricochet, though they are hard hitters. I never use anything else.

a mate turned up with a brno .22lr some years ago, he was new to rifle shooting and wanted me to mount the scope and help zero it, he had bought about 200 eley subsonics with him :lol:

i threw them in the lake and gave him a box of yellow jackets, he looked like he was about to cry at the time but later realised it was for the best

a mate turned up with a brno .22lr some years ago, he was new to rifle shooting and wanted me to mount the scope and help zero it, he had bought about 200 eley subsonics with him :lol:

i threw them in the lake and gave him a box of yellow jackets, he looked like he was about to cry at the time but later realised it was for the best

I'm not surprised he cried, top quality ammunition the Eleys.

I hope this was a turn of phrase and you didn't actually chuck them in the lake!

I bought 50 yellow jackets and still have about 45, theyre noisy and foul barrel, had to give a serious clean before I could use anything else.

Ely have been making quality ammo for decades, those yellow jackets were poor quality tut by comparison to the subs. And yes I use eley subs to great effect.

my rifle loves eley's but also like cci's and winnies at closer ranges, the eley are the most accurate then the cci and then winnies but the winchesters are by far the best when it comes to expansion, i generally head shoot so expansions not the most important thing for me i'd rather have that little extra accuracy so i'll be sticking with eley's a long as i can get them.