what would you like to see at your butchers

colin lad

hi all i am a butcher at the local farm shop and for the last 2 months have been trying new home made products,

started with home cured bacon i have done unsmoked,smoked and sweet cured,

these have been very successful so much so i have been told i can try what ever i like,

have also made chorizo, pancetta and corned beef still in experimental stage but all taste great but cant think what to try next,

if you was to go into your local butchers what would make you say wow must try some of that???

colin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+ 1 with the porkpies and also a decent pie full stop , you just cant get a good homemade pies for love nor money , then my local butcher started doing them and he hasent looked back , you got to book them now or there all sold :yes:

Yes I would go along with that, I would also like to see a picture of the Butcher with an Apple in his mouth, "or have I seen that already somewhere"?

Again on the decent pork pies. Even better if served still warm/hot as nothing beats a hot pie and a cuppa when you work outside all day. Our local butchers struggled for custom for a while due to supermarkets everywhere. Started to make hot meat sandwiches and coffee's on a morning and pies and now he is always busy when you go in.

A lot of butchers seem to stay stuck on selling just cold meats. In this day and current financial climate you have to expand and cover all bases to keep the till full. If the hot pies and cuppa's work then stick a table outside and a few chairs if possible. A decent A board out on the pavement also helps to attract a degree of passing trade too. It doesn't matter what you have in the shop if people don't actually know about it though. Getting people in for a sausage/bacon butty though means the other goods you sell get noticed while they wait for their hot food.

Infact, why not look into doing a 'special' each month with pies? Different fillings to suit the weather/month/season etc? Turkey and cranberry for the Christmas month, Rabbit and ? for Easter.... :lol: :yp:

How about offering a service to create cuts that aren't available in supermarkets, but drop up in TV cookery shows and reciepe books (assuming you get whole carcass) Beef on the Rib etc, 3 bird roast as well as good sausages, bacon, proper black pudding.

When I am feeling flush and want a treat i get some meat from here http://www.berryhillfruitfarm.co.uk/shop.htm not cheap but lovely, could also try some billtong/jerky and decent pork scratching are a must!

My local butcher has started selling fresh bread as locally only have a greggs, and free range eggs hen and duck.

:good:

Again on the decent pork pies. Even better if served still warm/hot as nothing beats a hot pie and a cuppa when you work outside all day. Our local butchers struggled for custom for a while due to supermarkets everywhere. Started to make hot meat sandwiches and coffee's on a morning and pies and now he is always busy when you go in.

A lot of butchers seem to stay stuck on selling just cold meats. In this day and current financial climate you have to expand and cover all bases to keep the till full. If the hot pies and cuppa's work then stick a table outside and a few chairs if possible. A decent A board out on the pavement also helps to attract a degree of passing trade too. It doesn't matter what you have in the shop if people don't actually know about it though. Getting people in for a sausage/bacon butty though means the other goods you sell get noticed while they wait for their hot food.

Infact, why not look into doing a 'special' each month with pies? Different fillings to suit the weather/month/season etc? Turkey and cranberry for the Christmas month, Rabbit and ? for Easter.... :lol: :yp:

we do teas, coffee rolls sarnies etc have seating inside and out hot food is on its way

colin

Another 1 for pork pies with jelly, and decent black pudding and white pudding, pease pudding, home made pies, have you tried game pies....

I also had a pork pie with black pudding chunks in with loads of jelly, it was heaven in a crust... :drool:

breakfast quiches......

oh god im hungry now...

:shaun:

Pork pies

Cornish Pasties, done the right way - I was taught by the late great Peter Morris of St Columb

White pudding

Proper butchers burgers in various flavours

Fats, goose, pure beef dripping

Hamper/meat box in single old dear size to family feat

hope this helps

How about making hampers up for Christmas

Giving people the choice of what they would like in them .

Like coldmeats,pies or differant cuts of meat.

Believe me I would much rather get a present like that then I would smellys or Slippers.

Or even gift vouchers now who wouldn't use one and also it could also get you new customers ;)

xxxxSuzy

Someone serving with the biggest breasts ever,and a low cut top.Oh,and i nice **** too,wearing a very short skirt.I know im probabaly stretching it a wee bit noo,but if you had some top quality beef olives on show too,that would have me slavering even more than i normally do,which is quite copious.