Rough night ahead

scolopax

I am currently on a rig offshore Norway. A big storm is forecast for tonight and tomorrow, 36m wave height (which is huge). Something to look forward to.....

They are starting to down man some other rigs, we are staying put....time to search out that "Perfect Storm" DVD .

Now, i'm sure it won't happen but if it did all go boobies up, what is the procedure?

I'm assuming getting a chopper is out of the question? So do you all don the wetsuits and get in a floaty vessel of some description?

Last time i went on a rig for a consultancy/commissioning job they had a funky fairground ride bolted onto the rig, it was a lifeboat which completely sealed up with big bucket seats, restraints and BIG harnesses and you basically all sat in there in your survival suits closed your eyes and they release a locking device and it slides down a big ramp dropping you into the sea a safe distance from the rig, no matter what happens to it they always right themselves, not sure if things have moved on since then.

36m? :hmm:

Better send details to Wikipedia then. They quote :

It is common for mid-ocean storm waves to reach 7 meters (23 ft) in height, and in extreme conditions such waves can reach heights of 15 meters (49 ft). However, for centuries maritime folklore told of the existence of much larger waves — up to 30 meters (98 ft) in height

Bigger than folklore :o :o :o :o :o :o

Stop being a nooftah and get on yourself on the pool table, it's quite a laugh trying to play pool in a storm aboard a semi-sub! Not quite as pointless as trying to play pool on a jackup that had decided to jack itself down on one leg in the middle of the night though, forgone conclusion that all the balls would end up in the corner pocket on that one.

Be safe guv. I'm sure you'll be fine and it'll be 'an experience' :blink:. Best wear two pairs of kecks though just in case and maybe lay-off the roll-mops for breakfast given you're in Noggy land.

I thought to myself "I bet he is exaggerating". Looked at the weather report from Met office and it said "Sea State - High or very high, occasionally phenomenal". I bet that isn't a word they use often. What's after phenomenal?

Anyway stay safe.

I thought to myself "I bet he is exaggerating". Looked at the weather report from Met office and it said "Sea State - High or very high, occasionally phenomenal". I bet that isn't a word they use often. What's after phenomenal?

Anyway stay safe.

There isn't anything after Phenomenal. It's the top category 9 on the Douglas Scale for sea state.

However, Phenomenal means 14 metres or higher, and that's the top category. I think you're looking at 36 feet.

There isn't anything after Phenomenal. It's the top category 9 on the Douglas Scale for sea state.

However, Phenomenal means 14 metres or higher, and that's the top category. I think you're looking at 36 feet.

That's a bit disappointing isn't it. Such a great word for such little waves :lol: There must be something above that category even if it is "oh my God look at the size of that mother ******"

you lucky ******!

i would give my left nut to be on that rig (untill the vomiting starts) ive been out on a trawler in force 8 that was eerm interesting!

ive got a freind who translates shipping forcasts into the funnyst thing you will hear (he also reads out the menu for the loacle take-away place that has every one in stitches :blink: )

sea state ;high comeing very high later=== the seas is a throthing malestrom of hopelesness and death :lol: catch the nearest ship mate and give it a whirl