For all the wildfowlers and poachers out there.

billywoodsman

Thought some of you might be interested in this old short film of a wildfowler called Kenzie,it was before the days of gun safes as he has his gun collection hanging on a book case.Im sure you will enjoy watching this http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/330 there is some old film of pheasant shooting on the same site.

Enjoy your evening.

This is McKenzie Thorpe, a good friend of Sir Peter Scott and James R Justice. He lived in Sutton Bridge and was a wildfowler/poacher around the Wash. His book is called McKenzie the Wild Goose Man...interesting read.

The houseboat was on Sheps but true to gypsy tradition its alleged his relatives burnt it down on his death.

Edited by ayano3

This is McKenzie Thorpe, a good friend of Sir Peter Scott and James R Justice. He lived in Sutton Bridge and was a wildfowler/poacher around the Wash. His book is called McKenzie the Wild Goose Man...interesting read.

The houseboat was on Sheps but true to gypsy tradition its alleged his relatives burnt it down on his death.

Thanks for the info mate,will have to put the book on my wish list to santa

Thanks for posting the film. Very interesting as I can remember the houseboat being there when I used to visit the marsh as a kid. What the film dont mention is that all the streets where Kenzie lived was renamed after Prince Charles visit. They are now Princes Street, Kings Street Queens Street and Royal Close. I also heard that the people now living in Kenzies house stripped all the wallpaper off to find the paintings still intact on the walls.

Matt, save the link in favourites as I have. Incedentially Kenzie died in 1976 and is buried in Long Sutton

When I was a kid kenzies garden used to back onto ours , his garden was full of wild geese he nursed back to health , he was a real character as anyone who has read his book will know , unless he has been re-buried he is very much in sutton bridge church yard not long sutton hid grave stone is engraved with wildfowl, allenbys close was indeed renamed royal close after prince charles visited him at home.

• 2 weeks later...