Pajero SWB 2.8

foxbuster

I'm currently on the search for a nice Pajero, was just wondering whot one on here and is there anything i should be weary of when looking over them besides the obvious. Any help/advice would be greatly apprieciated. Have looked on some of the owners forums, but these can be slightly biased in favour of them. Cheers.

i had one for 3 years mate (2.8 swb)heavy on juice,but if that bothers you then you dont want one,had to have my input shaft seal done around 100,000 miles,common on pajeros,apart from that and low mpg i couldnt fault it,as has been said,great off road,could pull a house down and comfortable regular servicing keeps it all running well,sold it to a PW member who travelled from watford to buy it,would sure have another...

DAZ

Edited by rabbiter

Have had 5/6 pajeros and shoguns over the years in the family, had both 2.5's and still got a 2.8. Look for rust as they are getting older so if you can find one which weas undersealed when it was imported. Service history etc as a well looked after one will after you.

Manuals are slightly better on fuel than autos, but harder to find. Excellent off road ability, fit a decent set of tyres and you will have an excellent shooting truck.

NO chance - 2.8 TD swb does about 18 mpg round town and not a lot more on a run - but lets face it you dont by a 4x4 to take on a run. I bought the one off rabbiter (on here) and it was a peach (but drank like an sailor)- the wife eventually killed it on the motorway but as far as shooting trucks go they are brill if you can afford the fuel. I also had a Isuzu bighorn (aka trooper) 3.1 TD whilst I was over in NZ and I have to say fuel wise it was a lot better and it was a LWB so had plenty of room - which to be honest the swb shogun lacks big time. If i had the choice over here and was in the market for another shooting truck I would probably go for the isuzu to be honest - The shogun can be made to go quicker than the isuzu but that really shouldnt be a concern...

forgot to say my SWB was an auto - the autos obviously use more juice due to the drive train..

I had a Shogun and still got a 94 2.8 Paj. I love it. Like has been said you don`t buy them for economy but I get low to mid 20`s mpg. I took the rear seats out of mine and use it as a van. Its got a winter pack and has two batteries. If you get one, change all the filters at least twice a year and the glow plugs when you have a problem starting. Not many Paj are manual, they are mostly the Shoguns. Have a look on the owners club website. POCUK.

My father in law has two lwb Pajero's a 2.5 and a 2.8. The 2.5 is very thirsty and lacks guts but the 2.8 is a different beast having more grunt but is still pretty thirsty fuel costs being comparable to my 2.5 disco on a run. He services them regularly and hasnt had any major problems. Just add both are auto's. :)

Mick

Edited by luckytrigger

Evening Foxbuster

Yeah I have got a short wheel base 2.8 auto Pajero on a '93 L plate and can probably give you a few pointers as a result of my experiences.

I could have gladly set fire to the thing when I got it, but to be honest now I have got it sorted I love setting off shooting in it.

Right! Things you need to watch out for when buying one:

1. Check water pump for leaks around the impeller shaft. If they loose to much water they cook and knacker the cylinder head.

2. Cylinder heads are prone to cracking on the 2.5 and the 2.8's as a result of the above and they are expensive to replace. Watch for white smoke/steam particularly at start up and take it for a good long test drive and watch the temp guage for wild fluctuations. It is no good checking for emulsified oil as this does not happen on the Paj/Shoggy for some reason when the head is gone.

3. Check the bottom pulley is running true and not wobbling as they have a habit of comming loose and ********* the end of the crank.

If you know someone who knows the Paj/Shogun take them with you when you go to have a look at one.

If you get a good one they are a pleasure and for the record I recon I can get pushing 30 to the gallon on a run, put your boot down or run round town and yes the economy is pants!

• 2 weeks later...

Got to agree with most of the points above, I have a SWB.

They are brilliant but thirsty, however, they run on up to 95% veg oil with very few additions.

If you use shop bought oil then there is no preparation, just cut it with some diesel/petrol upping the mix if it gets really cold, for best results fit a heat exchanger to pre heat the oil, once again, cheaply done, if you DIY it, well under £100. You're then paying in the region of £1-1.10 a litre.

If you are happy to do a little more work then waste veg oil will get the cost down to circa 60p a litre. It needs, filtering and heating, that's all. At 60p a litre then 20-25mpg is relatively immaterial!

Bought mine for just over £1000 on eBay, had initial problems with is starting but after having Glow plugs

changed and new battery it fires up first time, even after being left stood for 2-3 weeks least year in

freezing temps.

There great spec for old motors, and tough as old boots. On the downside there heavy on fuel.

img0288il.jpg

The above is the day after buying, looks mush worse now :)