cutting down a shotgun barrel

timc20xe

I cut a cheap Spanish SxS down years ago to 24 1/2" never go to 24" incase you need to tidy up the ends of damage in future. Very easily done and tidied up with a file.

Drill the rib and glue the pip back in and put some glue or solder in the end where rib joins the barrels to fill the small gap. 

As to how far you can shoot, it's been a revilation as to how far out it will break clays with 21g compx carts. I would still use it on partridge or pheasant shoots, it's no high bird gun but standard game range is no problem. Many older guns have little or no choke.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’ve got a cheap SxS choker 1/2 and FULL and it’s not worth paying to have the chokes opened up by a smith. 

Might be worth having a gunsmith do just one barrel, leaving you with 1/2 + 1/2, which is not a bad choice for general use.

With a gun of very little value (and provided the bores are not chromed), you might try opening the chokes yourself.   Emery cloth wrapped round a cleaning rod, rotated by an electric drill at the breech end, would probably be the easiest method.   Adjustable reamers are tricky to use, and best avoided unless you have previous experience.   If (when?) you have made a mess of it, there is still the option of shortening the barrels.

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Where does the 24" measurement start from, is it where the barrel/s fit into the breech/chamber?

It is from the breech , thats the end of the barrel level with the cartridge head, to the tip of the muzzle .It does not include any parts of the barrel such as third bites or extensions , parts of a barrel that extend into a receiver as on an auto or pump . It does not include and extended chokes or any removable muzzle attachments .

On 14/03/2014 at 20:44, kcrabtree said:

How much length would you have to cut off a barrel just to remove the choke?

All the pigeon shooting books seem to recommend open chokes and short barrels so i could see the advantage of a 25 or 26 inch open open choked gun in a pigeon hide.

Does anyone remember the 25 inch Churchill guns?

I am sure that some of these Churchill guns were just sawn off for fashion.

Hello, I had 2 XXV type shotguns, AYA and a Army and Navy box lock, you need to read Major Ruffers book advocating short barrel high rib shotguns. Did Churchill patent the XXV type rib? The choke length inside the barrel would need an internal bore measurement , 

On 12/12/2011 at 16:06, codling99 said:

mmm interesting, ive been toying with the idea of shortning an old single barrel gun i have,for the simple reason i only use it for moles,and its a little long(because im short really) so when shooting in to ground,im a little to close to ground ,so a few inches of end would be brill,not worried about looseing value or reselling,scrap it when im done with it.so legally i can cut a bit of end aslong as its 24 " long at shortest from breech?

and what would be best to cut it off with?? hacksaw? sorry for hijacking thread,didnt want to start a new one on similar thing. :good:

Hello, just use a piece of angle iron as your hacksaw stop so you get a level cut

45 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, just use a piece of angle iron as your hacksaw stop so you get a level cut

Think he's either got it sussed or has given up by now. :innocent:

If I remember correctly, although the odds on this are diminishing, Baikal are the only guns whereby if you chop the barrels you can proportionately reduce the choke. We used to have a member who worked on them for the importers and gave the choke levels for the amount of barrel reduction. Obviously, you get to a point where you hit TC.

11 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Think he's either got it sussed or has given up by now. :innocent:

If I remember correctly, although the odds on this are diminishing, Baikal are the only guns whereby if you chop the barrels you can proportionately reduce the choke. We used to have a member who worked on them for the importers and gave the choke levels for the amount of barrel reduction. Obviously, you get to a point where you hit TC.

Hello, you may be right, never looked at posting date 🤔