Christmas dinner

oscarsdad

We've got the missus' family with us for xmas, her step-dad's a Merkin and they always do turkey for thanksgiving so I'm doing goose again this year for them and then when we have my family over a couple of days later I'll be doing a slow roasted brisket. Yum.

Oh and home made xmas puddings for afters with both dinners, they've been maturing nicely in the cupboard for the last couple of months.

Cheers

Ashley

I always cook a ham before Christmas. Boil it in Coke then finish off in the oven smothered in honey & mustard.

Turkey, rib of beef & leg of pork with all the trimmings and then some for Christmas lunch.

Indian buffet for Boxing day tea time cooked by a lovely Indian friend.

Diet & training twice a week in the New Year !!! :D

Seriously how is goose meat compared to turkey?

Much more flavour and juiciness compared to your average supermarket turkey, and the goose-fat that you get when you roast it makes incomparable roast potatoes.

You need to raise the goose on a trivet in the roasting pan to prevent the bird swimming in grease as it roasts.

When the bird is cooked, let it rest in a warm area for 15 mins or so to let the flesh relax and retain its juiciness, and meanwhile whack up the oven temperature and put some parboiled floury potatoes into the goose fat and back into the oven until the spuds are crisp and golden on the outside and meltingly soft on the inside. mmmmmmm.

This year, however, we are having duck for a change.

Yea! Turekey on Chrimbo day and cold on Boxing Day. Mashed tatties, not that **** false mash but propper mash with pepper, cream, butter and whisked till like thick cream. Pickled onions, Branston, cold stuffing etc. Nummm,nummmmm.

I always do three puds as well:

A three layer Black Forest Gateaux with two cans of black cherries, 3 layers of sponge well soaked in Kirsch and two pints of whipped double cream. Death by calories.

A big Triffle with about .25 of a bottle of sherry and of course double cream on top, Home made custard as well.

Home made fruit salad.

And of course the ubiquitous chrimbo pud.

All finished up with cheese and bickies. I always get a good bit of Stilton as I am the only one in the house that likes it. Tragic.

:lol: well done Uncle............sounds fab' :good: try Blacksticks blue if you can get it, it's the most lovely cheese available!

Edited by ziplex

I am going for a more traditional lunch this year and attempting a goose rather than the (American) tradition of turkey...

What are you guys going for?

(I really fancied a venison joint after seeing river cottage but a bit too expensive this year)

Anthony

Wish you were closer - I'd sort that for you. :good:

I'm having Beef rib. I like Beef roast and it is sunday after all! I've already shot a nice Roe this week so someone I know who is a bit skint can have a haunch for dinner.

This year as it's mine and the missus' first Christmas on our own I wanted something different so we're having the current vogue of a multi-bird roast. As it's just the two of us I thought something inside a goose would be a bit excessive, and I'd be eating it in me packed lunch 'til who knows when, so it's going to be a pheasant inside a duck plus the trimmings. I can't wait!