morning with the big bores

aister

i had a great morning under the geese with my friend who is a big bore enthusiast. we arrived at our destination this morning at 7.15 and he armed me with his fred baker double 4 bore, he had his tolley double 8. we sat in between the big loch, where the geese were roosting, and a potato field and had the geese flight in over us. the geese behaved perfectly and left the roost at first light coming over us in small groups. not sure how many passed us somewhere between 300-400, at 9.30 the flight was done and we packed up. he had 5 geese and i also had 5, all greylags. thankfully we were not far from the vehicles as the 4 bore alone weighs 27lbs. the biggest surprise of the morning was when i fired a shell loaded with black powder, he had sneaked it in to the belt and never said, the flame and the smoke was impressive plus i got the goose. i missed a few but swinging the big gun is nothing like swinging a wee game gun, it takes a bit of getting used too. thoroughly enjoyed this morning and look forward to another outing in the x-mas holidays :good: :good: :good:

post-29954-0-60131300-1324403744.jpg

post-29954-0-62529000-1324403768.jpg

post-29954-0-76259100-1324403785.jpg

post-29954-0-21279000-1324403801.jpg

i had a great morning under the geese with my friend who is a big bore enthusiast. we arrived at our destination this morning at 7.15 and he armed me with his fred baker double 4 bore, he had his tolley double 8. we sat in between the big loch, where the geese were roosting, and a potato field and had the geese flight in over us. the geese behaved perfectly and left the roost at first light coming over us in small groups. not sure how many passed us somewhere between 300-400, at 9.30 the flight was done and we packed up. he had 5 geese and i also had 5, all greylags. thankfully we were not far from the vehicles as the 4 bore alone weighs 27lbs. the biggest surprise of the morning was when i fired a shell loaded with black powder, he had sneaked it in to the belt and never said, the flame and the smoke was impressive plus i got the goose. i missed a few but swinging the big gun is nothing like swinging a wee game gun, it takes a bit of getting used too. thoroughly enjoyed this morning and look forward to another outing in the x-mas holidays :good: :good: :good:

post-29954-0-60131300-1324403744.jpg

post-29954-0-62529000-1324403768.jpg

post-29954-0-76259100-1324403785.jpg

post-29954-0-21279000-1324403801.jpg

nice geese but the artillery would like their gun back please in case the russians get lippy LOL

Chuffing hell, thats some gun. What would something like that cost?

couldnt honestly say, he just laughs when i ask him how much he paid for it. not many nitro proofed double 4's around so i reckon it would be a fair bit, look at the price of some of the double 8's for sale :o

Good job!! Realistically, what is the max range of the four? What height were you taking most of the geese at?

Makes a 12 look like a toy!

ATB!

two seasons ago i got under a flight of geese with the 4 and i got 9, all the birds were the same, 70-80 yards up.

thats some gun!! had hold of a10 bore recently thought that was big enough? but 4 must go off like gw bush's shock and awe campaigns :lol:

KW

i could act tough and say no, never felt a thing, but honestly i was on my back 4 or 5 times with the b####r :lol: . its not as bad as you would expect, the weight of it saps up the punch, its more of a big push.