Buying and selling guns

Blamblamblam

Hello all

1st time post!

I know this 'person' who seems to think it's okay to buy and sell shotguns as a hobby.

As far as I'm aware doesn't this enter the realms registered firearms dealership?

The name 'Registered Firearms Dealer' is a bit of a give away!

Having a shotgun certificate entitles you have shotguns and to buy and sell as you need to, to enable you to shoot. I understand that one or more guns may be sold to finance others but that's different from buying and selling specifically to make a profit.

Surely it doesn't allow you to become an Arthur Daley of the firearms world?

Regards

Blam

To be fair, I cant see much wrong with it on a small scale. If he was selling half a dozen guns a week all year round and holding 20 odd at any given time I'd think something was up and he should seriously consider RFD status, but infrequently, like as a hobby, I cant see a reason for him having to be an RFD. A friend of mine buys older, low condition shotguns, cleans them up and sticks them on gun trader. He only turns one every other month or so. His FEO knows what he does and has never surgested he applies for an RFD certificate. :good:

Simply what has it got to do with you?

Bit harsh. It's an issue which could affect others on here, so I'm sure there are quite a few who be interested in an exchange of views on the subject.

BBB, welcome to Pigeon Watch. We can be friendly, honest!

Edited by Blunderbuss

Hello all

1st time post!

I know this 'person' who seems to think it's okay to buy and sell shotguns as a hobby.

As far as I'm aware doesn't this enter the realms registered firearms dealership?

The name 'Registered Firearms Dealer' is a bit of a give away!

Having a shotgun certificate entitles you have shotguns and to buy and sell as you need to, to enable you to shoot. I understand that one or more guns may be sold to finance others but that's different from buying and selling specifically to make a profit.

Surely it doesn't allow you to become an Arthur Daley of the firearms world?

Regards

Blam

have a chat with wabbitbosher he started it as a hobby he now sells in the trade section on pw top bloke he may help

colin

Simply what has it got to do with you? Its entirely his look out in theory nothing says how many you can buy and sell but the FE0 will ask questions after a while. s

This was a query I had as I was unsure of the legality of buying and selling as a hobby. As a new member and recently getting my own shotgun certificate wanted to improve my knowledge relating to firearms law.

I was also concerned that this person may have been unknowingly breaking the law. As a decent concerned citizen I was also looking out for his wellbeing and didn't want him to get into trouble if it turned out that he shouldn't be doing it.

That, simply is what it had to do with me.

Thanks for the replies everyone else

I think it's similar to car dealers/hobby traders if there is a profit then HMRC will want their cut and plenty of other laws come into play.

As long as the person is making the correct notifications it's up to the police to decide if they need to be an RFD.

Edited by HDAV

as every sale needs the police informing....if they note any suspicious activity they will make their own enquiries I am sure.....i sold a gun via guntrader to fund my hushpower, the lad who was buying it lived a fair way off, so he sent a friend of his who lives local to me to buy it, i sold it to his friend and put it on his friends certificate, who then went to his mates and sold it to him and put it on his certificate.

my FEO called me to explain why it had turned up on someone else's certificate so far away......and they admitted themselves they had a back log of letters and notifications to go through she stated Oh yes we probably have your letter of notification just haven't got round to looking at it yet

I am sure if they have enough letters from one person they will want to speak to them

I would question why the thread was raised on a public forum.

Ermmm maybe because it was a question to which he was seeking an answer from someone who could offer an Informed and knowledgable response, not some of holier than thou crowd.

Merry Flamin' Christmas :santa:

Edited by TaxiDriver

As Andy H says if his Firearms Dept is a bit suspicious about it, they will contact him.

A bit of a gray area realy he may have colected a few guns over a number of years and may have been having a clear out.

I know someone that has more than a dozen guns if they were to sell them in the next six months would that mean that they are a dealer or would it mean that they were retireing.

Paladin

First post - fairly leading question about firearms ownership. Whatever is said on here, the only real place to start is the Firearms Department. Always reminds me of information harvesting .

some of holier than thou crowd.

Hardly Xmas spirit yourself - bit of a silly dig really.

Have a nice day.