New head torch...

leeds chimp

After quite a few sessions now night fishing I have decided to look at a new head torch as the one I have is ****** :lol: £2.99 jobbie...19 LEDS and could not light up my feet...ended up calling over my personal gilly (pete Beretta28g) over all the time so could see what I was doing

What should I be looking for with all this lumens talk and been told that Cree are a good brand?? :unsure:

Advice please ladies and gents

I have used Petzl head torches for about 20 yrs. I still favour the basic type of bulb for maintainence etc. Found a Petzl Zoom at a car boot sale 2 yrs ago, offered 20p for it and got it. Washed the elastic, replaced the battery and off we go.

Lumens is indeed the measure of light output: bigger numbers, bigger light :good:

I think head torches are about 180, handheld torches go up to 1600 or so, they use a Luxeon star single LED, amazing technology!

Cree is the main manufacturer of LEDs, supposed to be the best but the unbranded ones from China are pretty good.

I have one and it is truly brilliant :good:

I use it when searching for shot rabbits and fox etc. in the field and it has an amazing beam for such a dinky thing, got mine on amazon and I believe there are some fakes on the bay so buy from a proper seller.

I have one and it is truly brilliant :good:

I use it when searching for shot rabbits and fox etc. in the field and it has an amazing beam for such a dinky thing, got mine on amazon and I believe there are some fakes on the bay so buy from a proper seller.

Is the range on the spot light as good as they say (528ft)

not paying £70 for one...

but if its 210 lumen that gives me an idea as seen a few cree ones alot cheaper

I bought a "200 lumen" crapper from ebay and all I can say is don't bother, I gave it away to a mate at work and bought the led lenser.

The 170 lumen H7 will do everything you need and can be dimmed down to nothing, batteries last for ages and everything about it oozes quality.

Is the range on the spot light as good as they say (528ft)

I guess it can throw light that far(161m), at 100m you get a solid bright beam and with the beam spread you get a near floodlit area out to 10-20yds.

It makes my fairly expensive old petzl look like something out of a cracker :unsure:

I guess it can throw light that far(161m), at 100m you get a solid bright beam and with the beam spread you get a near floodlit area out to 10-20yds.

It makes my fairly expensive old petzl look like something out of a cracker :unsure:

Cheers for that,i'm seriously thinking of the H14, i can use it long side my night vision

Cheers for that,i'm seriously thinking of the H14, i can use it long side my night vision

I should think it will be pretty epic beam wise as its 20% brighter than the H7 and with a bigger reflector, I also have the T7 and P14 and they have all been really reliable with excellent focusing beams. There are loads of higher lumen torches but most have fixed fairly flood lit beams where as the lenser's go to a nice tight spot too.

i got one of them mate very good and as my lad works at go outdoors he get 70% discount too boot

colin