Do you know someone who has a gun licence who shouldn't?

On Jeremy Vine on BBC 2 in the next two hours.

Do you know someone who has a gun licence who shouldn't? Well this should be interesting. So anyone who has a grudge against someone is going to be queuing up to phone in..........

Trashy journalism akin to Jeremy Kyle.....

Edited by Laird Lugton

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i do but the cops always seem scared of fighting it hard in the Courts. Its not down to me to decide who should or shouldn't have one but if it was down to shooters to decide you could bet we would make better desisions as we have more to protect than our jobs. I hope heads roll on this one.

How the heck do the media consentrate on his "six" guns when he only used one and not consetrate on the fact that the Cops made a poor call and had reason to revoke his ticket earlier

On Jeremy Vine on BBC 2 in the next two hours.

Do you know someone who has a gun licence who shouldn't. Well this should be interesting. So anyone who has a grudge against someone is going to be queuing up to phone in..........

Trashy journalism akin to Jeremy Kyle.....

What a surprise - the BBC being irresponsible with uninformed reporting <_< . This "debate" was obviously on the cards when all news reports made a point to emphasise that the firearms allegedly used by Atherton were legally held. We all know what happened in the wake of Hungerford and Dunblane and the pessimist in me expected a similar reaction to the Cumbria shootings. Now we have the Peterlee shootings to add to the list.

I'll go out on a limb and say I think it is time the UK firearms laws and processing were revised, but not under pressure from the uninformed, gun-fearing masses.

In a word "yes".

I don't know anyone personally, but there's a few off here who at the very minimum should do a psychometric test.

I reckon on the third ink blot test when Masterzone2 has yet again seen another picture of a butterfly with his favourite handgun that he had had to hand back in because of Tony B. Liar and the conspiracy with the free masons and the illuminati that followed Dunblane.... well that ought to be enough shouldn't it? :lol:

On the flip side, if anyone thought I was crackers or needed an interview with police approved head shrinker then rather than get all huffy puffy about it and bang on about how it interfers with my right to bear arms I reckon I would just crack on with it safe in the knowledge that I'm not hat stand.

What about the mods on every shooting forum having a "nut nut report to plod" button?

Its not down to me to decide who should or shouldn't have one but if it was down to shooters to decide you could bet we would make better desisions as we have more to protect than our jobs.

So you reckon that FEO's are only worried about their jobs when they give their recommendation as to whether the Chief should issue a certificate or not?

I think the FEO which makes the recommendation and the Chief who issues it has a hell of a lot more to lose than the average shooter. At first their job/livelihood/pension, but what about the thoughts that "if I hadn't signed that certificate that man might not have shot his whole family dead"

Wouldn't want that hanging over me, not at all.

What are we going to do, grass each other up every time someone jokes about shooting a paedo or has a slug of sloe gin during the shoot lunchbreak?

Divide and conquer....

Edited by J@mes

Well, I listened to Jeremy Vine and didn't think it too bad, from a shooters point of view, very impotent.

The ex cop's point about it being harder to get a taxi licence than a gun licence is probably true in some respects.

As a shooter you are not coming into contact with the public or children etc and the main difference is: Shooting is a hobby!

So you reckon that FEO's are only worried about their jobs when they give their recommendation as to whether the Chief should issue a certificate or not?

I think the FEO which makes the recommendation and the Chief who issues it has a hell of a lot more to lose than the average shooter. At first their job/livelihood/pension, but what about the thoughts that "if I hadn't signed that certificate that man might not have shot his whole family dead"

Wouldn't want that hanging over me, not at all.

What are we going to do, grass each other up every time someone jokes about shooting a paedo or has a slug of sloe gin during the shoot lunchbreak?

Divide and conquer....

At the time of issue yes i think its more about them and thier job, guilt sure yes thats a lot to live with. I am not talking about flippant comments from fools over lunch but Drink is a massive reason not to grant my mate is carrying some of the aftermath of that one when an otherwise good soldier mixed stress and heavy drinking with an an automatic rifle and an argument. I also know of a guy with some pretty serious convictions and prison time (including assult on police) who now has an FAC, hopefully all will be well but how will that one look if it all goes badly wrong sometimes we do realy need to say no and mean it

Yes i do but the cops always seem scared of fighting it hard in the Courts. Its not down to me to decide who should or shouldn't have one but if it was down to shooters to decide you could bet we would make better desisions as we have more to protect than our jobs. I hope heads roll on this one.

How the heck do the media consentrate on his "six" guns when he only used one and not consetrate on the fact that the Cops made a poor call and had reason to revoke his ticket earlier

Why did the police make a poor call? Do you understand what is necessary to revoke a SGC or confiscate forearms? No? I thought not. It's attitudes like this that fuel the tabloids.

What do you suggest?

I'm sure you can imagine just how complex the system must be when you consider the niche areas like veterinary humane killing, deer stalking on national trust land etc. none of which I have any experience with, so I can't have a full picture of how to improve licensing.

I do think however that evidence of "good cause" should be shown for owning a shotgun. I know of more than one person who lives in an inner-city flat with shotguns and have never used them for any purpose, sporting or otherwise. I also think that a Canadian style licensing system would help, where an individual has to attend a course and prove safe proficiency with a firearm before they're allowed to walk into a shop and take one home. Currently, any simpleton who is uncapable of even operating their TV remote can get a SGC, a gun and some carts, head home and then try to work out how to use the thing. I'm amazed more new shotgun owners don't have ND's.

Just an observation about the criminal records criteria - Not having one just means you haven't been caught. Some of the most prolific criminals have never been caught. I don't have any bright ideas about this one though and their proposed phsyc profile from a GP is just as useless.

Hypothetically; a chief FEO who conducted an interview made someone out to be an idiot for enquiring about reloading shotgun carts. They were told unequivocally that you can't reload ammunition. Don't ask me how I know this. ;) So maybe making sure firearms officers are actually informed might be a good place to start!

Edited by sterling

If the BBC News are to be believed the Gov't have already thrown their hat in the ring and said they have no intentions of changing legislation in the wake of the shooting in Durham

Let us hope that is the case. We have a culture in this country of piling legislation on top of legislation without properly enforcing existing law. Whether that's down to fear of litigation or the ECHR I don't know, but whatever it is it needs to be addressed.

In the most notorious incidents of murder committed with legally held firearms since and including Hungerford there had been the gravest doubts about the fitness of the person responsible to hold firearms expressed both informally within that person's community and formally to the police, repeatedly so in the case of Thomas Hamilton.

Police already have powers of confiscation if doubts about a person's suitabilty come to light, without necessarily revoking the ticket.

It is too early to judge in the Durham case, and its always easy to be wise after the event, but in the past police would seem not always to have exercised the powers available to them. The reasons for that need to be established. Throwing bad law on top of bad law doesn't solve anything.

Was it in the Durham area that there was a FEO who was selling guns that had been handed in?

Not exactly. What he did (allegedly) is put those who were going to hand in their firearms for destruction in touch with someone who would pay good money for the gun. He made nothing, both parties benefited, but it is against policy.