why some shooters do this???

Actionpigeons

Went out to do a little pigeon shooting today on some land that I share with a few other guns. Set up the hide and decoys with a couple of bouncers well out down wind.

Put the decoy bag and the gear we didn’t need back in the 4x4 and was driving off the field on the set aside to put the truck out of the way, when I noticed about a dozen dead pigeon stuffed down a rabbit hole.

Really don’t understand why people do this, why shoot some thing and just leave it to rot. Why not give it to some one to eat, or a least feed to ferrets not just throw away. :exclamation:

Edited by Actionpigeons

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have a few gun this way that do exectly the same mate,they set up on some stubble about 3 weeks ago[3 guns] and shot 55 60 when they finished all they done was chucked um on the muck heap, very fustrating as these 3 gun are the only people who are allowed to shoot this farm,

personal i think its bad sporting when they do this, be beta of on the clays

Edited by browning n spaniel

have a few gun this way that do exectly the same mate,they set up on some stubble about 3 weeks ago[3 guns] and shot 55 60 when they finished all they done was chucked um on the muck heap, very fustrating as these 3 gun are the only people who are allowed to shoot this farm,

personal i think its bad sporting when they do this, be beta of on the clays

I agree, it is bad sport.

If they want to just shoot some thing why not go clay shooting as you say. Get more shots to in the winter.

Edited by Actionpigeons

There's a chap on my only permission who shoots at anything that flies near him, then just leaves the day's bag on top of a hedge. He doesn't even make them inconspicuous. There's also been piles of empty shells, plas wads everywhere after harvest and general litter. He only ever shoots from two spots, so I try my best to clear some of the stuff up, mainly the empties.

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

There's a chap on my only permission who shoots at anything that flies near him, then just leaves the day's bag on top of a hedge. He doesn't even make them inconspicuous. There's also been piles of empty shells, pas wads everywhere after harvest and general litter. He only ever shoots from two spots, so I try my best to clear some of the stuff up, mainly the empties.

hes obviously a complete scumbag imagine what his house looks like! people like that ruin the reputation of shooting it does my ****** head in! i know wads cant really be helped but cartridge case and dead animals on hedge is a antis dream come true!they'd have a field day like i said its people like him who ruin it for the rest of us.

hes obviously a complete scumbag imagine what his house looks like! people like that ruin the reputation of shooting it does my ****** head in! i know wads cant really be helped but cartridge case and dead animals on hedge is a antis dream come true!they'd have a field day like i said its people like him who ruin it for the rest of us.

There's a public road that I walk along to get to my permission, bordering a large field with a fence and young hedge forming the boundry. One of his two regular spots is against this fence, and I've collected empty cases that he has ejected over the fence! The anti's dont even need access to the farm land to prove a shooter is littering the countryside.

There's a public road that I walk along to get to my permission, bordering a large field with a fence and young hedge forming the boundry. One of his two regular spots is against this fence, and I've collected empty cases that he has ejected over the fence! The anti's dont even need access to the farm land to prove a shooter is littering the countryside.

:lol: i have to laugh otherwise id cry :cry1: ! thats outrageous the bloke needs a good slap me thinks! dead shells on a public road/path is asking for trouble big time!

:lol: i have to laugh otherwise id cry :cry1: ! thats outrageous the bloke needs a good slap me thinks! dead shells on a public road/path is asking for trouble big time!

On the farm its self I've found a live, unfired shell under a tree, various hulls with no shot or powder but still primers, and two miss fired shells. These I have handed over to the farmer who says he will speak with him.

It's nice to jump to conclusions, but who's to say that the birds down the rabbit hole aren't freezer birds?

I stuff thawed freezer birds down a rabbit hole after I'm done. It gives me an excuse to go out later on to see if a charlie is sniffing around.

It's nice to jump to conclusions, but who's to say that the birds down the rabbit hole aren't freezer birds?

I stuff thawed freezer birds down a rabbit hole after I'm done. It gives me an excuse to go out later on to see if a charlie is sniffing around.

I know what your saying and I do the same in the summer months with the dead birds that I take out to decoy with, as the birds from the freezer are not worth keeping but I make sure they are out of sight. These where not decoy birds I am sorry to say. Found a few birds the other week under a sitter tree on the same land.

Edited by Actionpigeons

There's a chap on my only permission who shoots at anything that flies near him, then just leaves the day's bag on top of a hedge. He doesn't even make them inconspicuous. There's also been piles of empty shells, plas wads everywhere after harvest and general litter. He only ever shoots from two spots, so I try my best to clear some of the stuff up, mainly the empties.

well he hasn,t got any respect for the land or what he shoots then at all, he aint a sportsman just a complete richard head, what i would do is wait till he has shot once or twice then go on after him and take a few pics of the rubbish and dead birds and show the farmer the pics and do it before you even fire a shot that way it can,t be you who gets the blame :yes:

I do agree to an extent i leave an odd brace or two for charlie,we all know dead pigeons are the best decoys but even if you leave 5 every time surely that in itself is very wasteful,i dont think its just pigeons either game and that too the bloke hasnt got a leg to stand on as far as im concerned he needs to be taught a lesson!

Edited by tomhw100

I see piles of 30-40 odd most weeks, I'm sure they're not all decoy birds.

there not decoy birds don,t know anyone who takes that many dead birds for decoys,i take 2 for the rotary or turbo flappers, and sometimes discard them at the end of the session just because its not safe eating meat thats been thawed and refreezed or vice versa especially in summer, they are clearly being shot and dumped

There is a pigeon shooter round me that does alot of decoying as he is pals with a few farmers but leaves the the birds he shoots were they drop never picks up any ,even when he shoots a 100+ day ive even gone and picked the birds after he has finished a few times and made a few quid ,but it gets my back up when i see rotting birds all over the place .

I stick a few down rabbit holes if ive had them out of the freezer a few times but at most its 2 or 3 .

Not good in my book to see birds all over no need for it :angry:

I think leaving litter is beyond selfish when you realise its hard to get permission. At the end of the day if you dont eat pigeon you may as well leave them for the foxes as long as you hide them well away and dont invite controversy. The object is after all, pest control and if you aint into the taste there are plenty of grateful animals. If you've shot a really big bag then you havent really got a choice but to offload them to someone.

Have to say I like to have 10 to 20 in the freezer for decoys, they get left for fox bait, farmer more than happy, all he wants is fox and pigeon of his land, took him out lamping and he left every rabbit shot where it fell, and thats about 40, said it took to long to pick them up, can understand that, 40 pick ups at about 1 to 2 mins each is an hour lost, anyway its his land so do as asked