why some shooters do this???

Actionpigeons

Have to say I like to have 10 to 20 in the freezer for decoys, they get left for fox bait, farmer more than happy, all he wants is fox and pigeon of his land, took him out lamping and he left every rabbit shot where it fell, and thats about 40, said it took to long to pick them up, can understand that, 40 pick ups at about 1 to 2 mins each is an hour lost, anyway its his land so do as asked

Sorry really dont understand your thoughts on this, to long to pick them up. If you have time to go and shoot them, why not pick them up. 40 rabbits left for the foxes. If this farmer does not want foxes on his land its a strange way of putting them of his land. I use 3 dead birds for decoying, and yes I leave them for the foxes. One for the flapper, and to for the magnet. Any I shoot I add to the plastic decoy pattern and then pick them up and take the home. If I want targets to get my eye in, I shoot clays

Iv been shooting a long time and I have never just left dead birds, rabbits all over the land. Ferrets need feeding threw the summer months, so I always have use for every thing I shoot

each to there own as they say

Edited by Actionpigeons

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i`m afraid i`m guilty of dumping pigeons and rabbits out of sight, the simple fact is if i don`t shoot them i lose my permissions.

Rabbits are good dog food, skin them off the dogs love them, and you can feed the bones as long as they are raw. Also there are a lot of people out there that will eat rabbits and pigeons now, organic food and all that. If I don’t use the rabbits or pigeons I shoot I give them away.

Iv got quite a few fox's around at the moment and they are more than happy to have my deads, half the time I havnt even finished shooting and they are waiting! I eat most of what I shoot but I don't leave them laying around where the puplic can see them and I certainly don't leave empties laying around!! I have found a few .223 live rounds laying on the hill in the past. Ss123

I try to pick up every empty shell that I shoot even though it can be a pain in the **** when using a semi auto shotgun. Any birds that is shoot (Corvids) I tread into the nearest dung heap, and any pigeons get breasted on the spot and the carcasses are trerated the same as the corvids - I believe that they rot down quicker in a dung heap, and even if they don't the "general public" and "Antis" are less likely to go rummaging around in dung heaps.

ALL rabbits get picked up and any that are inedible (Hit badly with the 12 bore) get frozen down ready to taken to one of my "bait stations" (When neaded) and the rest get eaten either by me or some of my elderly neighbours who thoroughly enjoy and appreciate them.

As for foxes - I bone the brush and offer it to the landowner (This way they can see that I am doing my job) and then bury the carcass in a dung heap.

The way that I see it is when a farmer gives me permission to shoot on his/her land they are allowing me a priviledge and to leave litter, empty cartridge cases or dead carcasses lying around willy nilly on their land is being disrespectul to their land and to them.

Having said that I don't have a problem with leaving a few pigeons or rabbits lying in a rabbit hole or under a hedge (Out of sight of the general public) to attract Charlie to where you might be able to get a clear and safe shot at him, but empty cartridge cases is definitely a very big NO NO!

me neither :lol:

Yickdaz & MM......12th May, Victorian times was "Branchers" day.....Culling times for young rooks/crows....cooked right, rook/crow pie is the best, pigeons ,rabbits....casseroled, plenty of onions, PERFECTION GIVE IT A TRY !!!.... and I'm reading that this meat is being shot and dumped....and I bet the same people eat Supermarket Chickens, full of injected growth chemicals, and don't think twice about it ???.....UNBELIVEABLE....no respect for the birds, they have just taken out, "ANT-IES", Would have a field day reading this kind of stuff posted on here !......It's no wonder 1000s of woodpigeons go to France and Belgium every week, they know what good food is over there...."Summary" :- good days shooting, leave all the pigeons to rot, and nip down to Macky-Donalds for a Burger...jobs a gudun...Sunday Roast "CHICKEN"....back to work Monday?????????...Looking forward to next week !!!

i cant beleive people shoot stuff and leave them were they lie its absolutley disgraceful,if your man enough to shoot animals,you should be man enough to pick them up and dispose of them accrdingly,if your really cant be bothered to take them to a game dealer, give them away or eat them your self at least bury them or burn them in an appropriate manner-not that i condone wasting pigeons or rabbits the fact o f the matter is if you dont have no one to give them to, you dont want them yourself and cant be bothered to get rid of them discreetley DONT SHOOT THEM!

Give then a taste,you,ll be surprized at how good they are :good:

Ill take my chances thanks dude :lol:

Yickdaz & MM......12th May, Victorian times was "Branchers" day.....Culling times for young rooks/crows....cooked right, rook/crow pie is the best, pigeons ,rabbits....casseroled, plenty of onions, PERFECTION GIVE IT A TRY !!!.... and I'm reading that this meat is being shot and dumped....and I bet the same people eat Supermarket Chickens, full of injected growth chemicals, and don't think twice about it ???.....UNBELIVEABLE....no respect for the birds, they have just taken out, "ANT-IES", Would have a field day reading this kind of stuff posted on here !......It's no wonder 1000s of woodpigeons go to France and Belgium every week, they know what good food is over there...."Summary" :- good days shooting, leave all the pigeons to rot, and nip down to Macky-Donalds for a Burger...jobs a gudun...Sunday Roast "CHICKEN"....back to work Monday?????????...Looking forward to next week !!!

How can that be? How can you have respect for a bird? Ok, i wouldnt injure a bird for the fun of it, and i certainly wouldnt let one suffer. I treat them as im asked to, and that is by shooting them. The bird isnt bothered about it. Some things in life are just strange. I dont offer a prayer of thought for them once they have been downed, i just reload and wait for the next daft thing to fly past. Some might say thats not the right attitude, but then again, there are people on here who have never fired a gun, but will offer you all the advice in the world. Trust me, i do shoot a fair bit, and there are things that go on when out, that people dont post about. Birds get shot, and chucked in hedges. Just because ive shot it, that does not mean i have to take it home and offer it even more respect by soaking it in wine and onions. How many people shoot just to eat? I dont think anybody on here does that any more, do you? Thats the generation of a long gone era. Back in the days of yor, that was a way of life. Sometimes people had to shoot to survive. These days, the price of cartridges outways the cost of a pumped up chicken from Tescos. Its just what happens. Im sure you are a shooter with vast experience, but i dont think you can honestly say that ever time you go out shooting, you so so because you are hungry. Ok, now about this "anti's" thing. REALLY? Do they sit at home drinking a cup of Elderflower tea, monitoring PW for posts about the slinging of dead birds after a good days shooting? I cant see that either. Ive never had a gang of them knock at my door, shouting about the mindless slaughter of crows, but if you eat them, we will leave you alone! Would it not be easier to just go out, shoot some birds, and if you dont want them, either sitck em in the hedge (circle of life an all that: ref The Lion King) or just bin em. Right, now enough of all this daft talk, im eating my hyper fulled, injected chicken Mc shot-shot burger. :good:

you should be man enough to pick them up and dispose of them accrdingly,

Surely it's not a problem to let them rot into the ground. I mean, that's kind of how nature works. Plus it's good fertiliser.

I'm not ashamed to say I leave shot bunnies if I've already got a few in the back. Unless I'm asked to clear them up, I'm doing the landowner a favour by getting rid of them.

Surely it's not a problem to let them rot into the ground. I mean, that's kind of how nature works. Plus it's good fertiliser.

I'm not ashamed to say I leave shot bunnies if I've already got a few in the back. Unless I'm asked to clear them up, I'm doing the landowner a favour by getting rid of them.

i get ure point,its not how nature works leaving multiple dead rabbits in a field in one sitting,alot of permissions have footpaths and ramblers,farm hands livestock etc, which probably wouldnt be impressesd walking into a field full of dead and decaying rabbits its ok saying you may be doing them a favour by getting rid of rabbits but what about magpies, crows,rats and charlie being encouraged by your buffet you just left for them?

Went out to do a little pigeon shooting today on some land that I share with a few other guns. Set up the hide and decoys with a couple of bouncers well out down wind.

Put the decoy bag and the gear we didn’t need back in the 4x4 and was driving off the field on the set aside to put the truck out of the way, when I noticed about a dozen dead pigeon stuffed down a rabbit hole.

Really don’t understand why people do this, why shoot some thing and just leave it to rot. Why not give it to some one to eat, or a least feed to ferrets not just throw away. :exclamation:

I wouldn't ponder on this one too long. the answer to your question is 'it's because they are *******

if you read my earlier posts on this thread i,m totally agaisn,t the shooting and dumping of game,pigeons etc ok the odd one or two used as decoys that have been frozen then thawed out in summer, i do it myself but i don,t dump sackfulls of them.

also if you want to do a poll of how many on here actually eat shot crows i bet it will be a one sided one :yes:

i get ure point,its not how nature works leaving multiple dead rabbits in a field in one sitting,alot of permissions have footpaths and ramblers,farm hands livestock etc, which probably wouldnt be impressesd walking into a field full of dead and decaying rabbits its ok saying you may be doing them a favour by getting rid of rabbits but what about magpies, crows,rats and charlie being encouraged by your buffet you just left for them?

I've discussed this with someone in the past. The vast majority of bunnies you shoot aren't going to be sat on public footpaths. Along with that, even if you had a record night, you'd not have a sea of dead rabbits across a field. Thirdly, people just don't notice stuff like that. They might do if it's perfectly flat and nothing's growing, but most of the time there's something on the ground, because the rabbit wouldn't be out eating soil for fun.

I wouldn't ponder on this one too long. the answer to your question is 'it's because they are W*?#!ers'

I'm interested. On an average night out lamping, how many rabbits do you bring home? The last bloke to completely slate people who left rabbits where they were shot had never shot more than 10 in an evening.

I've discussed this with someone in the past. The vast majority of bunnies you shoot aren't going to be sat on public footpaths. Along with that, even if you had a record night, you'd not have a sea of dead rabbits across a field. Thirdly, people just don't notice stuff like that. They might do if it's perfectly flat and nothing's growing, but most of the time there's something on the ground, because the rabbit wouldn't be out eating soil for fun.

I'm interested. On an average night out lamping, how many rabbits do you bring home? The last bloke to completely slate people who left rabbits where they were shot had never shot more than 10 in an evening.

its not uncommon for us to shoot 15-20 with airguns we have shot a fair few 40 bags and a 55 in the harvest before and beleive me if there was 50 rabbits in a field you would notice them,at times when wev'e shot that much some are kept for eating some go to ferrets and dogs and the remainder goes to the game dealer. There is loads of public footpaths where we shoot with dog walkers who have their dogs off leads-im sure a women and her kids would be well impressed with fido bringing 2 or 3 maggot ridden rabbits to their feet!

Edited by tomhw100

post removed, I am getting to old for this

Couldnt agree more Billy

Edited by docholiday

Spot on mate.

Not everybody has the capacity to deal with large numbers of game, we are asked to clear the rabbits and the farmer is more than happy for them to be left where they fall.

Edited by Gnome of the Woods

its not uncommon for us to shoot 15-20 with airguns we have shot a fair few 40 bags and a 55 in the harvest before and beleive me if there was 50 rabbits in a field you would notice them,at times when wev'e shot that much some are kept for eating some go to ferrets and dogs and the remainder goes to the game dealer. There is loads of public footpaths where we shoot with dog walkers who have their dogs off leads-im sure a women and her kids would be well impressed with fido bringing 2 or 3 maggot ridden rabbits to their feet!

Obviously it's down to the area that you shoot over. If you're shooting a small field and you get a 50 bag and leave them then it's going to look quite odd.

As I said though, if the landowner just wants them shot and doesn't care if someone complains that their dog has brought a dead rabbit back, then it's fine. If someone complained to me that their dog picked up a rabbit, I think I'd laugh at them - it's the countryside - you'll always find dead things in hedges.

foxes,crows, general vermin are left out of sight...anything else is eaten or goes to the butchers..

nothing that can be used is left...if i cant use it i wont shoot it..

im lucky in a way as the farmer lets me keep the vermin down and doesnt want everything shot apart from foxes.. :good: