Scotland to go it alone ?

Harnser

Hmmm.. the statistics would say otherwise... North Sea peaked 5 years ago... it's a slippery slope only one way from here... Gas will last a lot longer but will run out at some point.... that IS a foregone reality... if you think otherwise you have your head buried in the sand and you are condeming your grandchildren to a potential life of misery and poverty!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_oil

Don't forget they have a lot of the next decades shortage - Fresh Water.

They'll be selling us water by the lochful within 10 years.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this independance thing has done is cause a divide...having worked with both on a regular basis I can honestly say there are good guys and ****** of all 4 of the elements of the UK...

besides - the uk is an insignificant little weisel of a country in global standards anyway - UK stand with the US like the wimpy kid in the playground who makes friends with the school bully... :yp: :lol:

Can the rest of the UK have a vote on Scotland being independant??

If so, they've got my vote :good:

I've worked offshore with a lot of skirt wearers, and found most of them to be a great bunch. The mickey taking is always a two way thing, and thats all it ever is.

Yes They get free University education and prescriptions, but have to pay the massive price of living in a third world country. Its not all rosey.

I really hope you get it quite frankly i am sick of hearing about it, lets see if you can afford all the freebies currently enjoyed and subbed by UK PLC,

with a population of around 5.5 million sectarian hatred is rife ethnic diversity is less than 1% you have a massive drugs and alcahol problem and short life expectation, huge migration away from the country of able young people and nothing to offer outside Oil which is a depleting resource.

You have no chance of defending yourselves on any scale (despite a very proud, heroic and universally celebrated fighting force) And lets face it folk wanting a bit of sunshine on holiday are hardly likely to pick up a copy of come to Scotland its still raining 2012 are they :P

:stupid:

Can't see it happening, the jocks may be a lot of things but they're not suicidal (well most of 'em). Mel Gibson's got a lot to answer for... :P

Also, I get the impression that the bulk of Scotland's revenues come from North Sea oil and gas.. What happens when they run out.. It is documented that the oil fields in the north sea have already passed peak and no new major fields are being discovered, i recon there is 20 years profit left in them. Gas supplies are still reasonably abundant but they too will peter out at some point, maybe 60-70 years... what happens then? Scotland will have lost it's main income stream and quite possibly be plunged into poverty!

There's so much more to the Scottish economy than oil and gas.

Of course there is there is also iron-bru and salmon farming :huh:

I dont find this to be the case anymore. It used to be so, but nowadays I find that the resentment definately goes both ways.

This is the case with me . Coming from just south of the Border in Cumbria , I used to see us as one country but life has taught me the extent to which the English are resented . Don't blame them in a way but it got boring long ago the stuff that emerges due to centuries old disputes . I see them as a different country and they should enjoy self determination . It definitely does go both ways now .

If Scotland leaves the union doesn't it also leave the EU? Trade would become much difficult piles of legislation would no longer apply (might be a good thing) Both treasuries would need some sort of agreement, would the Scottish pound be = to to sterling?

All the salmon farms are owned by the Norwegian and most employ Eastern Europeans.

Love the Scottish but they are soooooooo easy to wind up

On a serious note I think Mel Gibson does have alot to answer for, Braveheart really did result in a massive surge of nationalism, don't know what that says about the Scots or the film.

How do you think I feel - Father from Corby Northants, Mother from Ballykelly, Brother born in Antrim, I was born in BMH Rinteln (Germany) and my Grandparents are 2 from Aberdeen and 2 from Ballykelly... :blink:

Heinz 57.... or a pad-ock-guf-azi.... :blink:

Red Doe, the great lie seems to be totally based on the oil revenues. Are these not in international waters?.As somone has already pointed out,it's only that the stuff comes in through Aberdeen.According to overall figures, we still subsidise each head of population.

I personally have no issue with this, but we all need to pull together, we are too small to split.

I'm not convinced that the economy up there is any better than anywhere else. Please correct me if i am wrong but the bulk of both population and employment is in the central belt.

I have a few customers up there, both lowlanders and highlanders ( of which there does not seem to be any love lost between them) and none of them want independence.

I think it's Salmond and a power kick.

Given i have a foot in both camps with 1 lot of Grandparents Wejies, Scottish partner for 25 years, having lived in the NE of Scotland for 20 years, but i am a true born Norfolk boy whose other Grandparents were East Coast all the way back, i think i am allowed to comment.

I have seen the best and worst of the Scots, like everywhere else you meet good and bad and that i've met just as many a**eholes in England and elsewhere in the UK as i have up here.

However i will also say that i have been subjected to what iwould call rascist abuse on a number of occassions, NOT banter as some would ascribe - but always it has been in the smaller City environments and never in the Shires.

There are however some things i learnt very quickly;

1. Very, very few Scots will ever support England in anything - this is extremely deep seated and we'll never change it, so why worry about it. Personally i'm not a big footie fan but RU and i am at Murrayfield quite regularly - particularly once every 2 years for the 6 Nations game. Very, very patriotic support and always a great atmosphere, but because its Rugby its just banter and there is never anything over the top.

2. Only 1 in 3 Scots support Independence and most know that the strength of the UK is the Union.They may not admit it openly but many are as concerned with this as others are.

3. Salmond is an egotist and personally i do not want El Presidente Alex which is his dream - he even resorted to quoting a line from Flower of Scotland in response to the last few days - get over it Alex constitutionally the Scottish Parliament cannot implement any result of an Independence ballot it has to go to Westminster. He is now feeling cornered as he has been outmanouevred in the last couple of days and that will make him dangerous.

4. The Tories are, on the whole, reviled up here, it goes back to Thatcher, so Cameron needs to be careful. The Scots are stubborn enough to vote yes just to kick back at the Tories!! Again this is deep rooted and understandable. My partners Grandad was the Union Pit leader for the biggest open cast mine in Fife way back and you don't want to get her started on Thatcher and we were both on teh Poll Tax riots in the 80's :lol:

5. Ultimately what Salmond wants is control of taxes and revenues in Scotland so we will finish up with two differing tax regimes in the Country - not good.

I could go on and on and pop back at a few of the responses on here from both Scots (you know who you are) and English (you too) but whats the point because it'll just degenerate? I hope upon hope that it doesn't come to this because when we pull together as Welsh, NI, Scottish and English, because of our History, because of our character, because of our overall sense of fairnness and acceptance the UNITED Kingdom is a great set of Nations.

Please lets not get personal or xenophobic about this subject.

Given i have a foot in both camps with 1 lot of Grandparents Wejies, Scottish partner for 25 years, having lived in the NE of Scotland for 20 years, but i am a true born Norfolk boy whose other Grandparents were East Coast all the way back, i think i am allowed to comment.

I have seen the best and worst of the Scots, like everywhere else you meet good and bad and that i've met just as many a**eholes in England and elsewhere in the UK as i have up here.

However i will also say that i have been subjected to what iwould call rascist abuse on a number of occassions, NOT banter as some would ascribe - but always it has been in the smaller City environments and never in the Shires.

There are however some things i learnt very quickly;

1. Very, very few Scots will ever support England in anything - this is extremely deep seated and we'll never change it, so why worry about it. Personally i'm not a big footie fan but RU and i am at Murrayfield quite regularly - particularly once every 2 years for the 6 Nations game. Very, very patriotic support and always a great atmosphere, but because its Rugby its just banter and there is never anything over the top.

2. Only 1 in 3 Scots support Independence and most know that the strength of the UK is the Union.They may not admit it openly but many are as concerned with this as others are.

3. Salmond is an egotist and personally i do not want El Presidente Alex which is his dream - he even resorted to quoting a line from Flower of Scotland in response to the last few days - get over it Alex constitutionally the Scottish Parliament cannot implement any result of an Independence ballot it has to go to Westminster. He is now feeling cornered as he has been outmanouevred in the last couple of days and that will make him dangerous.

4. The Tories are, on the whole, reviled up here, it goes back to Thatcher, so Cameron needs to be careful. The Scots are stubborn enough to vote yes just to kick back at the Tories!! Again this is deep rooted and understandable. My partners Grandad was the Union Pit leader for the biggest open cast mine in Fife way back and you don't want to get her started on Thatcher and we were both on teh Poll Tax riots in the 80's :lol:

5. Ultimately what Salmond wants is control of taxes and revenues in Scotland so we will finish up with two differing tax regimes in the Country - not good.

I could go on and on and pop back at a few of the responses on here from both Scots (you know who you are) and English (you too) but whats the point because it'll just degenerate? I hope upon hope that it doesn't come to this because when we pull together as Welsh, NI, Scottish and English, because of our History, because of our character, because of our overall sense of fairnness and acceptance the UNITED Kingdom is a great set of Nations.

Please lets not get personal or xenophobic about this subject.

Great response - couldn't have worded it any better myself.... :good:

Nothing against the Scots whatsoever but I hate Salmond.

My opinion is...

Let them have independence, as long as it is FULL independence, with no more of of English pounds going north of the border. How will they pay us back for bailing out their 2 biggest banks?

Your right, cause Scotland hasen't contributed anything to the debt effort!

Remind me, if Scotland had it's independance, what would make England a rich and prosperous country?

Give it a few years and we'll be buying red noses to support the Scotch people. :lol:

No such thing as "SCOTCH" people, they are SCOTS

Don't forget they have a lot of the next decades shortage - Fresh Water.

They'll be selling us water by the lochful within 10 years.

We up north have more than enough water without buying it from anyone. The Suffeners on the other hand will suffer as they keep on squandering it,

I like "most" Scots as they sort of "get" us Northeners, but as with any race, be it English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish there will always be those that despise anything not native to themselves.

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

Your right, cause Scotland hasen't contributed anything to the debt effort!

Remind me, if Scotland had it's independance, what would make England a rich and prosperous country?

I appear to have hit a nerve.

It would not make England a rich and prosperous country at all. Just lessen our own debt by around £11 billion a year that is handed over to Scotland. In 5 or 6 years we could pay for HS2. Another contentious topic.

If Scotland leaves the union doesn't it also leave the EU? Trade would become much difficult piles of legislation would no longer apply (might be a good thing) Both treasuries would need some sort of agreement, would the Scottish pound be = to to sterling?

Salmond seems hell bent in Scotland becoming a member of the wretched and corrupt E.U. his other ambition seems to be to cover our beautiful countryside in ghastly wind turbine farms. He should get out more and talk to people and see what the word on the street is.

Blackpowder

Errr........... we are a rich and prosperous country, a very rich and prosperous country.....and so is Scotland.

Problem is so many people do not seem to realise it!!!!!

edited to add, post #66 :good::good::good::good:

Perhaps in love, character, personality and standard of living but financialy... The UK is on the verge of bankruptcy as are quite a few other nations in these dark times!