Sight Problems

PatK100

20 or 30 years ago I used to do a lot of clay shooting and was quite good at it regularly scoring 49/50 and the occasional 50/50 at general sporting clays. Now I have retired and from a nagging son I have rekindled this old hobby.

The problem is I now wear spectacles of the varifocal type, for shooting purposes I have purchased a set of safety glasses with prescription inserts for the distance part of my prescription.

I am finding now that I can hit targets coming towards me or going away from me quite easily as I can rabbits that are quite close and low down, the problem I have is with quick, high crossing targets in that I cannot see them until it is too late to hit them, so any advice you can give or equipment you can recommend would be gratefully received.

Just a little more information for you is that I am right handed with a right master eye, if I try keeping both eyes open when shooting I can see nothing as it is all a blur but if I close my left eye at least I can hit the targets going and coming.

Really beginning to look forward to the cracking this problem now.

BTW Happy New Year

I had a similar problem last year, maybe not as pronounced - but I did struggle to pick up some crossing targets (I'm 40 something, short sighted and wear single focus glasses all the time).

I revised my prescription before Christmas - and it has made a lot of difference - I was half a point down on my right eye (I'm right handed, left eye dominant)

I wonder if the new prescription you have is crisp enough, it may be worth geting a free /cheap eye test again to really double check that prescription?

Most prescription glasses and inserts will show a distortion of the image if you try and look through them with your line of sight more than a few degrees away from the centre of the lens. This will be reduced if you have shooting glasses that position your eye in the centre of the lens when you mount the gun(rather than ending up looking through the top 25% of the lens with normal glasses)ie. shooting glasses with a prescription lens rather than an insert. It may also help if you make an effort to point your nose at the target rather than trying to see it out of the corner of your eye.As a varifocal spectacle wearer I found both of these things made a big difference.

The comment that if you look at the target all you see is a blur suggests a visit to your optician might be helpful!

Edited by T.C.

I tried inserts in safety glasses...total waste of money, very little peripheral vision. You will be far better off with shooting glasses.

Specsavers will sort you out, buy a largish frame and they have tinted lenses, if you want to you have the choice of different types of lens, you can purchase the very best, or some that are cheaper.

Otherwise just Google shooting glasses.

Edited by BlaserF3

I got two pairs of distance glasses from Specsavers - one tinted lenses, for £85 last year. They have a tilting frame so that I look through the middle of the lens rather than the top.

I went the same way except I plumped for brown photchromic - even in overcast the slight residual "brown" picks up blaze clays well.

I use the doyle shooting glasses with the px inserts and have no problems. You say you don't see the clay till too late. When I started back into shooting I was looking down the barrel waiting for the clay to come into view, rather than doing what I should have been doing, which was mopunting the gun and looking for the clay, not the bead. Do you think that may be happening. Also, it is worth checking if the Px is right. I was lucky with my local specsavers, the optician I had was trained in sport glasses prescriptions, so he knew to move the centre of the ground lens higher to compensate for the head down posture of shooters. May be worth a check.

I too went down the Specsavers route and am very pleased with the results.

Got myself two pairs of distance prescription, large framed, tinted specs - one grey/brown for sunny conditions and the other made up in an orange tint which is great on overcast days for about £90.

Being large framed most of my field of view seems to be in focus as opposed to just the central section as would be the case with the insert type specs.

Hope this helps.

I too went down the Specsavers route and am very pleased with the results.

Got myself two pairs of distance prescription, large framed, tinted specs - one grey/brown for sunny conditions and the other made up in an orange tint which is great on overcast days for about £90.

Being large framed most of my field of view seems to be in focus as opposed to just the central section as would be the case with the insert type specs.

Hope this helps.

Depends on the specs, but I know what you mean. That is why I chose the Doyle ones, the insert is large enough that you would have to be almost squinting over your own shoulder to be outside the Px lens area :lol:

I'm '40 something' myself and wear glasses daily to avoid furniture, cats and my own feet :oops:

It may seem extreme but I wear contact lenses when shooting - I use disposable ones that cost approx £10 for 30 so they're not expensive and I buy them on an 'as and when' basis. Granted you'll need a Px for them in order to be sure that all is as it should be but I find the difference when shooting is amazing - so much of the field of vision is blurred when wearing glasses and peripheral vision falls away dramatically. Lenses give an interrupted view and crossing clays are picked up much more quickly rather than sneaking up from nowhere - I appreciate that's not your problem area but it is for me :hmm:

I guess we all have to deal with the ravages of time in the best way that we can and this may be of no help to you at all - glad you've returned to the sport and, as long as it's still fun, just keep going :good:

Oh the joys of gettin old(er). I went down the route of getting single vision photochromic lenses in aviator style frames from specsavers for clay shooting. At least I can see the clays from all angles with no restricted peripheral vision due to the large frames, which for me has helped with my scores no end. Cost me around £120 if I remember. :good: