House sold but where to put the money

ME

We have just sold our house. We are moving into rented for a while until we find somewhere else.

In the meantime we will have a fair bit of equity (six figures) that we need to put somewhere safe but with good access i.e. not tying it up for 30 days.

What are the suggestions then boys? Split it across a few banks? Bung it under the mattress? Bury it in the garden? Spend it on guns and hookers?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have just sold our house. We are moving into rented for a while until we find somewhere else.

In the meantime we will have a fair bit of equity (six figures) that we need to put somewhere safe but with good access i.e. not tying it up for 30 days.

What are the suggestions then boys? Split it across a few banks? Bung it under the mattress? Bury it in the garden? Spend it on guns and hookers?

Loads of room in my account, I will PM you details on how to pay it in.

Blackpowder

ING direct??

If it's a choice between these then, probably the last. But if you are open to new and exciting ideas, are clever and handsom - then you could always by my special magic beans.

Max out on the premium bonds. Then stick the rest somewhere else.

Not a bad shout at all... capital is safe, only makes up a small portion of your dosh and...... you never know...£££££££££££££££££££££££

From memory though, I think it takes a couple of weeks to extract your cash, although no obstacles or fines, just administration delays.

Paul

Edited by Vipa

Well done on selling the house - that's an achievement alone, let alone walking away with a six figure sum in equity! :good:

Indeed Nick, that's why we are gonna take the cash and get out. It also puts us in a great position to buy.

The equity is great but we couldn't buy a decent house down here for anywhere near the money we have, so it will only ever be tied up. In hindsight, if I had taken a few more risks in the '90's then it would have been more, ho hum! (coulda/shoulda/woulda!) My next mortgage commitment is enough to make the bravest of bottoms twitch. :unsure:

ME

We did same at end of 2008 - sold then rented - what a nightmare - couldn't rent because we had no abode - couldn't invest the money because we had no current utility bills - fortunately SWMBO had a account in Nationwide so half went in there and other half went into "Icesave" Yo Ho !! - because we hadn't got the money and we are retired (No income except pension) struggled to rent but proved we could cover three month with Premium bonds -- in end it all worked out- Gov giving us our money back - rented - saved at 6% (I could do with 6% now)- bought a bungalow and done it up.

I think Tesco do a internet saver at 2.75% - you can put in and take out with no penalty which is about all you will get in this day and age - Max withdrawals is £10k a day but they are all the same.

Good luck

dave

ME

We did same at end of 2008 - sold then rented - what a nightmare - couldn't rent because we had no abode - couldn't invest the money because we had no current utility bills - fortunately SWMBO had a account in Nationwide so half went in there and other half went into "Icesave" Yo Ho !! - because we hadn't got the money and we are retired (No income except pension) struggled to rent but proved we could cover three month with Premium bonds -- in end it all worked out- Gov giving us our money back - rented - saved at 6% (I could do with 6% now)- bought a bungalow and done it up.

I think Tesco do a internet saver at 2.75% - you can put in and take out with no penalty which is about all you will get in this day and age - Max withdrawals is £10k a day but they are all the same.

Good luck

dave

We are renting a house round the corner from my brother at a very reasonable rate. It is already empty and we can't wait to get in there. It is a lovely house.

I will look into those two, cheers :good:

Max out on the premium bonds. Then stick the rest somewhere else.

Not a bad shout at all... capital is safe, only makes up a small portion of your dosh and...... you never know...£££££££££££££££££££££££

From memory though, I think it takes a couple of weeks to extract your cash, although no obstacles or fines, just administration delays.

http://www.nsandi.com/savings-premium-bonds?tabid=g#cashing-in1

By post:

We’ll issue your payment within eight working days of receiving your form, unless you ask us to defer payment until after the next prize draw.

or online/phone:

We’ll normally initiate your payment within three working days of receiving your instructions, unless you ask us to defer payment until after the next prize draw. Once we've issued your payment, you'll normally receive it within two working days.

The other thing to watch though is the time you need to hold them before you will be entered into the draw:

http://www.nsandi.com/savings-premium-bonds?tabid=c#whenenterdraw

You’ll need to hold your Bonds for a full calendar month following the month you bought them before they become eligible to win prizes. For example if you buy Bonds in March, they will be eligible for the May draw onwards.

As an alternative, why not use it to go for one of the new tlds and consolidate all your websites under one banner?

Well funnily enough, I used to manage a very large fund of about 30,000,000 usd for a client who is now sadly demised in Nigeria.

If you send me details of where you bank it, I will help you mutiply your money tenfold by claiming you are a relative.

There may be a few pounds to pay upfront in release fees etc but rest assured, It will be profitable. :good: