Krav Maga

Raja Clavata

Anyone have any experience of this, good or bad?

One of my clients is an instructor... looks awesome, far mor practical and useful than most martial arts..

Very good for keeping fit too... but if you are averse to getting physical, give it a miss... it is a contact sport :good:

I belive that its used as a fondation for brit forces hand to hand combat.

Ive only ever herd good things about it and would suggest that the reason MMA fighters dont use it is because of its violent nature to bring a fight to an end and for you to be able to escape !

In MMA they wouldnt want people eye gouging, ball kicking, snatching lips, biting ears, pulling open nostrels, punches to the throat etc ! :oops:

its violent nature to bring a fight to an end and for you to be able to escape !

Thats what I realised after spending a few months at classes. Most knife defence techniques ended with you thrusting the steel blank into any part of the 'attacker' you could, of course that was after hyper extending their elbow/knee etc. Exceptionally violent, and the pressure testing phase of training is a brilliant total body + cardio workout.

Its not over complicated in any way, it used your natural reactions in any situation and moulds it into a defensive action. Its brutal and very violent when used in real life ( but remember its not like this in the class as you obv don't try and kill each other )

People saying things like MMA are better for self defence are just stupid. MMA is a SPORT where you fight 1vs1, Most fights people get into ends up with 3or4 people kicking someone's head in! Krav Maga trains you to defend against this, its trains you against knife and gun attacks, attacks with bats and bars and all other sorts you will need!

Not as good for fitness as boxing but from a self defence point I have seen nothing better, there's a reason most special forces around the world are adopting this.

The guy who comes from Israel to do our grading has trained Spetznas, SAS, US forces, FBI and many others.

I have done boxing and other sports for years so know a bit about it ;) ... All depends what you want it for :good:

It's like any martial art. If you have a good teacher and train well, it will be a useful thing to learn, and should help keep you fit. BUT, it won't keep you long term fit like Kung Fu will, and a lot of KV I have seen seems to be run by a franchise that licenses instructors after an intensive 10 week or so course.

There is more **** talked about 'which style is best,' 'which style is more "real world" etc than you would believe.

If you want to learn a martial art, find a respected teacher who suits you and train hard.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I am doing some volunteer work in East Africa later this year which will take me away from the previously trodden paths on my other trips to Kenya as a tourist. I'd have little trouble handing over my cash or belongings to someone trying to rob me at gun or knife point but if I thought they were intending to do me in at the same time then I'd prefer to have a back-up option.

I consider having to implement Krav Maga techniques very much as a last resort and have always avoided physical confrontation whenever possible so think my motives for learning more about this are sound.

I may also take up a position on a board of trustees for a mutliple school project in rural Kenya some in the not too distant future, which will take me there at least twice a year, so this could have longer term value - especially if I live long enough to realise my dream of retiring to the coast out there one day.

So, I'm looking to book an induction but am a little concerned on the contact nature as I previously dislocated, nearly separated, and suffered short term nerve damage to my left hand deltoid muscle group in a push bike accident a few years back. Anyone know if this is likely to be a significant impediment to the training programme? As keen as I am for this I have no intention of that shoulder popping out again :no:

Must admit I did have some reservations about the commerical nature of some of the organisations offering this training around here so will proceed with caution. For example £67 per month is a bit deeper than I want to get into at the moment (as much to do with the implications of demands on time as anything else).

Thanks again.

PS - Matt, I'm 40lbs lighter since July based on a life style change - less in, more out plus lots of hours on the mountain bike and in the gym...

I looked into this last week my local dojo do it for £5 a session. I've just had knee surgery so to take it easy you need to ask instructor first. I would try and find a pay per session in case your shoulder gives up.

Edited by haggis