I am very very very lucky

jonno 357

Was out lamping last night. Myself and my buddy both shoot and both have lamps on the rifles. I was using my 17hmr for the long stuff and he was using 22rimfire for close work

Anyway I had the lamp battery in my left jacket pocket because the strap had broken on the battery pouch. I have another pocket above this, and this is were I kept my live ammo. I must have dropped a live round into the pocket where I had the battery.

Can you see the picture building ? The 17hmr shorted out the battery terminals and the round exploded in my pocket :sly: :yp:

I can tell you for a few seconds I almost **** my pants. I felt a very sharp burning sensation and I though my mate had shot me :yp: :P

I dropped my pants and my mate shone the torch. Phew no damage !!! :good::sly: Wedding tackle still in one small piece :rolleyes::yes:

I will post the picture of the case later that exploded and the bullet head that shot out from the case. You can even see the arc burn marks on the bullet head from the terminals

Oh BTW got 16 buunies and even shot a 90 ish yard bunny (head shot) after the minor event :(

I think there is a lesson in here somewhere

rimfire17hmr003.jpg

rimfire17hmr002.jpg

Shoot safe

Jonno

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly just glad you are ok, I am sure it freaked you out!

Given a basic understanding of physics I would have said you would have to be extremely unlucky to get seriously hurt or killed by this happening. In order for a rifle round to gain its lethal kinetic energy the combustion of the shell needs to be tightly constrained, by a lot more than just the casing, in order for the pressure to build with only one way of release (via the barrel).

When the shell went off the build up of pressure in the casing was far too much for it since it wasn't in the barrel so it gave up. There would have been some energy imparted on the round but it would not have much energy, certainly not enough to kill or wound someone. High pressure will always take the path of least resistance to dissipate (much like electrical potential) and in this case the casing was weak and failed, the majority of the energy dissapating that way rather than sending the round off at high velocity.

I would think you might have gotten a minor flesh wound if you were unlucky, certainly some mild powder burns if it was close to skin.

Not trying to be a smartarse, just sharing my view..

Still, not what you want to happen anywhere near the family jewels mate! :rolleyes: Lessons here for us all I think...

I used to do some clay pigeon shooting with a club organised by a local police unit.

They always used to put the used shells into a pile with the empty cartridge and clay boxes and then burn them.

The last time I went (many, many moons ago) a couple of unused shells had been included in the pile, and they went off with a woosh.

No bang, no explosion, just a whoosh.

However, be aware that there are some careless **** out there.....

Don

I used to do some clay pigeon shooting with a club organised by a local police unit.

They always used to put the used shells into a pile with the empty cartridge and clay boxes and then burn them.

The last time I went (many, many moons ago) a couple of unused shells had been included in the pile, and they went off with a woosh.

No bang, no explosion, just a whoosh.

However, be aware that there are some careless **** out there.....

Don

Jonno - this is not a 'go' at you. I wouldn't have thought that the incident that happened to you could have happened at all!

Don

Id say it would be a different matter with a centerfire round?? :rolleyes::yes:

Frank.

I am suprised it happened at all, the short must have been a good contact held for a while to generate the heat required.

Rimfire/centrefire/SG shell all roughly the same really in principle. If the pressure isn't constrained and directed then the energy will dissapate in all directions at once with no lethal energy in any one direction.

Still wouldn't want to try it, though :good:

Very lucky mate, all rimfire rounds should be contained as due to the nature of the primer (in reality the round is just one big primer) if you are carrying them loose in your pocket a good knock could cause them to bang together and set one off which in turn.........you get the picture...unlikely I know but still a possibility.

I don't want to go off on one (AGAIN!!!) but too many people think "oh it's only a rimfire".....I've still got the scar from my act of ignorance and stupidity :rolleyes:

P03

I had a near miss a couple of years ago.I carry my small battery in an over the shoulder canvas bag and it had the metal buckles and tips on the straps.Whilst walking back after a sucessful sit out for a fox,I started to smell smoke and then I could feel heat by my leg,the strap had shorted the battery and had ignited the canvas :rolleyes: I hurled the bag off my shoulder and as luck would have it pulled the strap and the wires away.

I then stomped out the small flames :yes: I now use insulating tape at all joints and terminals and in some instances duck tape too.I would advise you all to check that all terminals/joints have no bere metal at all.

Stay safe Boys and Girls Њ

Mythbusters on sky tested a similar idea to this, the idea was people would use a .22lr for a fuse replacement in their car and a short in the car would result in exactly what happened to jonno and so the myth went the driver would get his gentlemans parts re arranged.

The tested the myth and discovered it to be exactly that, the part which is most dangerous is actually the case (as the lighter component), however the case still retained enough energy to break through the crash test dummy's clothing a good few inches away from where the round was set off, so they could cause some damage, but in this instance nothing life threatening.

However i still wouldnt want to get hit in the side of the leg by a HMR case under its own power. You got lucky mate, glad your ok.

I will have some pics later of another guy who got lucky recently, this involved someone elses' handloads and too much powder.