contacting BT faulty line

mikky

we have had an awful crackling noise on the line,impossible to hear and my internet keeps crashing,managed to get through to BRITISH TELECOM in mumbai almost an hour going round in circles i managed to get an visit arranged for between 0800 1300 hrs today...sat in all morning...no one turned up...so i rang INDIA again to speak to someone from BRITISH thats BRITISH TELECOM to be told the fault had been cleared at 0805 this morning,unfortunately the operator could not hear me properly......cos the fault had not been sorted...and if i wanted someone to ....come out again......it would cost me £ 130 quid..well i am a patient ,quiet sort of bloke,but i am afraid i went ballistic....so she said an engineer would call sometime this week.i pointed out that i didnt work from home and the engineer didnt have front door key...so she suggested if the fault didnt get any better i should call MUMBAI everynight after work....so if there are any BT engineers in the Bury area please pm me and i will sort you out with a few quid if you can fix it

my mates a tels engineer not bt..he disconnected everything and tested the line..the fault is definately from the house to the pole and beyond

mikky

I know what you're going through...

Sometimes I've had better luck telling my ISP that the broadband is broken and that the line is noisey, and they get the BT engineer to come.

However this only works if your dealing with an easy to talk to ISP.

It's like any very large company these days, money/profit first, choas etc 2nd, customer satisfaction last.

Good luck

We have had a similar experience with my MIL's home phone, she lives alone (apart from nighttime Carers) and has a "Lifeline" button, that doesn't work when the phone is out of action.

The road she lives in have had no telephones since last Tuesday , we have rung the BT Fault line in India twice a day every day since.

Each time we are told that the telephone will be mended by 1700 hrs the same day.

Its very difficult to remain civil, even when the operator ,is wishing God to bless us and not to worry, as he/she is working hard on our behalf and will take all our worries away. :rolleyes:

I am amazed that BT get away with this.

If your mate has proved the fault 'out' into the network then its just a case of getting an engineering visit.

Dont worry about the charges as you seem to be 100% sure (if you trust your mate) its 'out' therefore charges wont apply.

Your too far away for me to take a look fella.

Make sure they send an Openreach engineer and not a contractor ;)

tears ago we lived next to a pretty stupid lass.

her phone line went down so she came and asked to use our phone line to call and report it.......she then chirped up but i have brought my phone so it wont cost you anything! she genuinely thought that plugging her handset to our line would make her pay for the call and not us :lol:

the trick with call centre's state and go through the options stating that you want to leave as a customer.......you WILL get someone local and sympathetic to try and keep your custom

If your mate has proved the fault 'out' into the network then its just a case of getting an engineering visit.

Dont worry about the charges as you seem to be 100% sure (if you trust your mate) its 'out' therefore charges wont apply.

Your too far away for me to take a look fella.

Make sure they send an Openreach engineer and not a contractor ;)

could they run a new cable from the pole to the house or if the cable is damaged can they repair it

mikky

could they run a new cable from the pole to the house or if the cable is damaged can they repair it

mikky

I'm not a BT engineer, however the answer to both is yes, have had this exact repair done when a careless grab Lory working for next door decided to rip down our line.

if the drop wire from the house to the pole is damaged,they will run a new one.

If the wire is damaged 'mid span' or is deemed to be obsolete then it should be replaced. If its damaged on the house end (termed as 'lead in') then it may be repaired (if possible) without changing the full span.

However, there are many reasons why a line goes faulty and many different types of faults. What makes you assume its the dropwire?

Safest bet for you mate (unless you 100% trust what your mate is telling you) is to go to your local exchange and collar an engineer on the quiet and give him £20 to come and prove the fault before you report it. ;) Just incase its internal, as if it is, chances are there will be charges.

ITS NOT YOU THAT IS GETTING CHARGED IT IS YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER! Wither or not they pass those charges onto the end user is upto them.

Oh, and by the way im a telephone engineer not someone giving advice with the 'best intentions'.

If the wire is damaged 'mid span' or is deemed to be obsolete then it should be replaced. If its damaged on the house end (termed as 'lead in') then it may be repaired (if possible) without changing the full span.

However, there are many reasons why a line goes faulty and many different types of faults. What makes you assume its the dropwire?

Safest bet for you mate (unless you 100% trust what your mate is telling you) is to go to your local exchange and collar an engineer on the quiet and give him £20 to come and prove the fault before you report it. ;) Just incase its internal, as if it is, chances are there will be charges.

ITS NOT YOU THAT IS GETTING CHARGED IT IS YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER! Wither or not they pass those charges onto the end user is upto them.

Oh, and by the way im a telephone engineer not someone giving advice with the 'best intentions'.

If there is loads of noise on the handset would that cause the broadband to be intermittent

mikky

We have had a similar experience with my MIL's home phone , she lives alone (apart from nighttime Carers) and has a "Lifeline" button, that doesn't work when the phone is out of action.

The road she lives in have had no telephones since last Tuesday , we have rung the BT Fault line in India twice a day every day since.

Each time we are told that the telephone will be mended by 1700 hrs the same day.

Its very difficult to remain civil, even when the operator ,is wishing God to bless us and not to worry, as he/she is working hard on our behalf and will take all our worries away. :rolleyes:

I am amazed that BT get away with this.

We had similar experience over the Christmas period. To give an idea of the mil’s problem is that she had a stroke and is a bit uncertain on her feet. One time we got a call in the early hours and went round there. She had lost her balance and was upside down in the dry bath. It was funny to me but a devil to get her back out. It was very frightening and unpleasant for her. Another thing that was irritating was that the lifeline provider, which is the local council, didn’t give a monkeys and just were very aloof. It is very frustrating because although the people on the other end in India are very pleasant and helpful they just don’t seem to understand the situation on the ground this end. I could not get through to them the potential seriousness of the situation to my Mother in law. All they kept on saying was that the fault would be looked at and they knew about the problem. The houses all around her had lines into them ok but hers was out. Eventually after demanding to speak to a supervisor I managed to speak to someone that spoke English well enough to understand the seriousness of situation and he upgraded the job to critical rather than a job. It’s like shouting help and everyone just walks on by.

Whilst with BT, I too had this problem, went through all the usual procedures, re boot and stuff, then about 2 in the morning, phoned the help line. Got an Indian guy, from India, who said he would fix it. I asked how he could fix it from India, a few thousand miles away. He said that it was called "technology".

So he did some stuff, and I waited, But his technology did not work. I pointed this out to him, how could his technology from the third world help me, in the country that technology was born. He said that this was "progress". I laughed.

He then said, "it is 2 in the morning, time you were in bed, so go to bed and when you wake up it will all be fixed and working properly". I insisted that he sent me this disclosure in writing, which he declined, and just said "trust me".

I thanked him for his efforts, and bade him goodnight.

It all worked fine in the morning...

These Indians are GOOOOOD!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: flagged dowm an openreach engineer that was passing my house going to another job...told him the story..1 hour later all back up and running again...fault was in the junction box up the pole...he pinged it and said it was 27 mts from the house

happy days :yes:

mikky

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: flagged dowm an openreach engineer that was passing my house going to another job...told him the story..1 hour later all back up and running again...fault was in the junction box up the pole...he pinged it and said it was 27 mts from the house

happy days :yes:

mikky

Good result.

Now you know what I have to put up with out here. The thing is that the people working for the UK companies call centres are the best there is. They will be the best English speakers and the best trained. If you are dealing with an Indian company, as I generally am, then the service is ten time worse. They will lie through their teeth just to get you off the phone. I have resorted to finding out the telephone number of the CEO or the like and ringing them up at night screaming "don't you know who I am". That doesn't work either.

Good job on getting it fixed - now whack in a claim for loss of earnings for the 2 appointments they didn't show up for.

As soon as my 12m contract with BT was up (had to have line reconnected) I was off, so many bad experiences with them, I won't deal with them (directly) ever again, although they do keep trying, even ringing to try and get me to switch back, when they ask why, I tell 'em straight!