own up

david hunter

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why is the sky blue, why is grass green? Why do people feel the need to take the moral high ground on harmless threads that are put up for a bit of banter?

i was pointing out that you should do your upmost to identify what your shooting at,& having abit of banter about ilegal shooting of quarry shouldnt have been posted.

i was pointing out that you should do your upmost to identify what your shooting at,& having abit of banter about ilegal shooting of quarry shouldnt have been posted.

Yes of course you should I don't think anyone is arguing that. The op wanted honest answers to his question not a trial by keyboard jury.

if a racer is in the field it doesnt meen its nogood as a racer,it could be on a long race & in need of food or water or just a rest.so it would come in to decoys the same as woodys.& im sorry but if you dont know the difference between a woody & other pigeons you shouldnt be shooting pigeons. as said shooting racers is ilegal

So how about explaining the difference then as said I have never seen one. I was under the impression that this forum was around to help each other out not just bitch about those less in the know

When does a racer become a feral? One place I shoot has ferals all around the cow sheds, some are 'racer' type not seen any ringed, there are also white and other onimental types, they cause a problem and I shoot them. Ofcourse a racer off-track may start hanging around there, when I'm I allowed to shoot that one? I agree to being able to see the difference between a woodie and a feral on the wing!

So how about explaining the difference then as said I have never seen one. I was under the impression that this forum was around to help each other out not just bitch about those less in the know

Just google 'woodpigeon' and 'racing pigeon'. You should be able to find pictures of both.

They are TOTALLY different.

yes chaps i thought the forum was adout helping others. or dont you want to give to much away. woodpigeons have white bars on the wings you can see from quite a distance the bird is normally bigger than racers and ferals and al so have a slower wing beats. ps i have to :yp:

yes chaps i thought the forum was adout helping others. or dont you want to give to much away. woodpigeons have white bars on the wings you can see from quite a distance the bird is normally bigger than racers and ferals and al so have a slower wing beats. ps i have to :yp:

All this is fine if you watch them coming in from miles away, but as i said - walking round a plantation shooting pigeons coming over the tops of the trees is a different matter (and also the place i bagged one last time)

Regards,

Gixer

Yep, I've shot one.

Looked like a feral, came into the decoys, started to land next to the magnet and got shot.

There were plenty of ferals about that day, so an easy mistake to make in my opinion.

racing-pigeon.jpg

feral_pigeon.jpg

I don't think they're THAT easy to recognise, especially when mixed in with a group of ferals.

Tripe! You are talking out of a hole in yer bum! If you can spot what type of pigeon it is as it fly's over a ride in a wood you must have amazing eyesight! :rolleyes:

Racers hanging out with woodies are no longer racers! They have gone feral....

Regards,

Gixer

gixer, racers hanging around with woodies have not necessarily gone feral. if there on a long race(5,6or even 700miles)they will roost up with other pigeons for the night,or come down with others to eat & drink.& if you shoot at a flashing glimps of a pigeon shape, that pigeon shape could be alot of things.it could well be that racer on a long race (that someone has bred,fed,trained,looked after & payed money on to enter a race)that might be on its way to winning the race & quite possibly a large amount of money & possibly a car. so what i am getting at is,if your out woody shooting you have to make every care thats its a woody you are shooting at.

if a racer is in the field it doesnt meen its nogood as a racer,it could be on a long race & in need of food or water or just a rest.so it would come in to decoys the same as woodys.& im sorry but if you dont know the difference between a woody & other pigeons you shouldnt be shooting pigeons. as said shooting racers is ilegal

:good: :good:

Racers are very obviously different from Woodies both in size and flight pattern, but there's no way you can tell a feral from a racer

I agree...the answer to the question is not to shoot ferals whilst shooting woodies unless your 110% certain....can't say I've ever seen racers or ferals roosting in woods though...I'm not saying it doesn't happen by no means it probably does I've just never seen it...I've obviously seen them, come in with decoying pigeons though