Do I need a camo gun

otherwayup

I've been looking for a low priced second hand gun for wildfowling (and pigeons). In the price range I'm looking at (<=£300'ish) the difference between camo. and non camo. finish means the difference between getting the latest or an older model gun etc.

Is a camo. finish better at catching the eye of buyers than it is at 'not' catching the eye of birds?

I would agree with the post above, I have shot in full camo with veil before now and moved to scratch my **** or my nose and the prey have it on their toes, yet other times I have been out in normal clothes, not camo and they have not been bothered, but either way the prey will run or fly if they see any kind of movement.

Schmoo

Depends, often on the marsh you have to just lie on your back with the gun across your chest or huddle in a muddy gutter placing your gun often above the cill of the gutter for protection from the gloop. In these sort of situations i believe it an advantage over solid matt black. Though at night on a moonflight some American marsh pattens light up like they are painted brilliant white (they cannot shoot after a certain time in the USA). Mossy oak or duck blind seem to work well in most wildfowling situations i have come across though.

What you are very well off avoiding i believe is deep shiney bluing that flashes in the sun or a bright silver action for similar reasons.

Not got a clue about pigeons, never do it nowt for them to eat round me

I wouldn't say on the movement birds seeing you from it makes any difference (I own a black auto used for fowling) but a camo finish pays dividends when it comes to corrosion/dirt and salt air.

I notice more issues with my black synthetic than my old real tree print as it seemed to be a tad more hard wearing but that would be the only real benefit :good:

it makes no difference. its movement that catches a preys eye. its a gimmick like cammo knifes

Well said, you could have an orange gun as long as you kept it still, crafty prey can spot movement further than you think, even fishermen wear real tree clothing, what's that all about, real tree flasks, luggage etc etc.........

Having said that I've got a beretta auto in camo.... :hmm:

YES! and even camo your shells! every little helps!

Seriously though, matt black or camo will help to reduce the chance of something shiny catching their eye, and seeing a human shape near it. Thats where being completely still comes in.

Its not like you wont shoot any with a a blued o/u. but you'll prob get a few more chances with something less noticeable.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

I have been looking at this over the last few years and I believe that it is the non movement and non shiny that pays dividend combined with making sure the human flesh is covered I remember before all this realtree and mossy oak stuff was around we only had army surplus green and brown Camo and scrim cloth was the best thing around. In saying this I really like the realtree stuff

I think like everyone else is saying it's the movement that alerts the birds, not the gun. When i go out wildfowling the whole foreshore is littered with washed up debris, of all different types/colours so i would imagine that the birds would be used to seeing odd shapes/colours.

A flight a while back there were plenty duck, we were very well hidden- but they avoided getting within gunshot steadfastly. Needing to take a leak i got up and discovered a disgarded crip packet (the foil side out) on removal birds came in. Think about the number of gardeners who tie CD's up on strings to keep the birds off - are they all nuts? or Is there something in it?

I certainly agree about movement, even a turn of the head can flare them short at times. Is that not another issue than gun colour though?

Some guns look fantastic with the camo finish, but some guns dont look quite rite when they have a camo finish somehow. Personally I dont like them, as on most i've seen the camo rubs away after time leaving a layer of white instead. I'd much rather have a black synthetic gun, which is much more attractive to me but guns with a nice wood stock are very attractive but not as robust as synthetic stocked guns, and i wouldnt use a wooden stocked gun for wildfowling :good: :good: :good:

The choice is your's mate, everyone likes different things :good: :good: :good:

Some guns look fantastic with the camo finish, but some guns dont look quite rite when they have a camo finish somehow. Personally I dont like them, as on most i've seen the camo rubs away after time leaving a layer of white instead. I'd much rather have a black synthetic gun, which is much more attractive to me but guns with a nice wood stock are very attractive but not as robust as synthetic stocked guns, and i wouldnt use a wooden stocked gun for wildfowling :good: :good: :good:

The choice is your's mate, everyone likes different things :good: :good: :good:

I must admit i have spent a fair while with my stocks butt in the water on rising tides inadvertantly (sythetic SX3) so i understand your thoughts on that one. I do have the same dilema about certain guns i have a s/s 10 bore that needs a re-finish- part of me wants to prime is and cammo it and the other part wants to re-blue it coz cammo is just wrong on such a gun :hmm:

i once got given a side by side that needed the barrels re done and for a laugh i had it powder coated bright metalic blue with glitter mixed in, (it was a friend of mine who was setting up a powder coating buisness who wanted to try out the colour) i wildfowled with it for a season and can honestly say that it made no difference, i think the important thing is not to move till you have to.

A flight a while back there were plenty duck, we were very well hidden- but they avoided getting within gunshot steadfastly. Needing to take a leak i got up and discovered a disgarded crip packet (the foil side out) on removal birds came in. Think about the number of gardeners who tie CD's up on strings to keep the birds off - are they all nuts? or Is there something in it?

I certainly agree about movement, even a turn of the head can flare them short at times. Is that not another issue than gun colour though?

With respect, that is ridiculous! I don't believe there is any way in the world that ducks were shy of a crisp packet! As for the cds, they don't keep birds off crops.

Think they look good ,but if you get your normal gun i.e wood and blued barrels and put it in the middle of your decoys the pigeons will still land.

its the movement the birds see.

also its how well you hide your body outline with camo infront and behind you.

again more clever marketing of things that you dont really need.

tho i do like the look of the camo 391.

Edited by mr salt

my thoughts on cammo gear one big money making machine . i have been fowling for 30 yrs .cammo coat pants etc can be very expensive to get caked in mud. ( my opinion). never had any trouble with any old waterproof coat /and waterproof leggings does the trick ask any seasond old wildfowler. the whole art of wildfowling (keep still at shooting light/dusk. any sudden moves and they are gone. just watch crows and woodies.

With respect, that is ridiculous! I don't believe there is any way in the world that ducks were shy of a crisp packet! As for the cds, they don't keep birds off crops.

Many do, myself included- if it un natural they fear it, they dont have to understand it. Real wild duck are very similar to crows - especially late in the season. CD's might not keep birds of large fields of crops if 1. they remain in situe and the birds get used to them 2. if there aint enough of them.

• 2 weeks later...