Cheeky Beggar

Alex C

Just had a knock at the door, my mate goes to answer it as i am wrestling with the kids trying to get them ready for bed. He comes back in and hands me a card. written on it are the words

''My name is Steve, i am deaf and dumb and homeless / jobless, please have a look at my pictures and buy one if you like any''

I beat the kids into submission and make my way to the door, thinking if they are any good i may chuck the bloke a few quid. I get to the door and he starts showing me the 'works of art' he has created.

Well if i said they were complete **** i'd be being generous. They were cack ! My 3 year old produces better at nursery even when she isn't trying.

I take the time and look through them, but in the end said sorry but i wasnt interested. At this point he throws his arms up, shoots me a look of total disgust, mumbles something which i swear sounded like ''well **** you then'' and then stomps off back up my drive.

I was absolutely gob smacked. I did consider hurling some abuse back but then remembered he was deaf.

I told the Mrs what happened and she and my mates wife thought i should have just bought one.

My mate backs me up but called me soft for not chasing him up the drive !

So am i just a heartless so and so, or am i justified in feeling a little annoyed

Over to you guys - Wife will be keeping tabs as i told her she was a nutter ! :lol:

Edited by Alex C

Wouldn't be surprised if there was ****** all wrong with him ... if your going to play on a disability you have in order to get people to give you money then don't be rude when they politely say no and choose not to. :sly:

Wouldn't say you did anything wrong mate :good: and think he was bang out of order for what he did! :no:

I had a similar one a guy knocked the door handed me a card with photo ID he was on day release from prison ??? with a bucket of dusters, washing pegs and and assorted household guff and was charging £3 for a roll of dusters! (not heard of the pound shop!) when i said i wasn't interested he shouted a load of abuse about it being a stuck up ******* neighbourhood and stomped off.

NOt seen it since and not sure if it was legit or not! But odd

I had a similar one a guy knocked the door handed me a card with photo ID he was on day release from prison ??? with a bucket of dusters, washing pegs and and assorted household guff and was charging £3 for a roll of dusters! (not heard of the pound shop!) when i said i wasn't interested he shouted a load of abuse about it being a stuck up ******* neighbourhood and stomped off.

Had that before aswell, what the hell do they want us to do about it ? They've got themselves into the situation there in and don't think they should be discriminated against but they doesn't mean we should give em a free hand out and start paying there bills :/

you dont say how much they were asking for the TATT. Say NO be cause if you buy they will be back again. If you can see them from inside through window/porch ,mouth NO. Dont open the door so yoiu dont get into so called sales pitch,ITS TOUGH OUT THERE ,SO LETS BE CARE FULL! :beer::bye2:

Edited by hushpower

During my Apprenticeship there was a guy on the next bench to me who was deaf & dumb,is that not P.C these days,during tea breaks I learned some sign from him :good:

Never thought anything more about it and years later one of these Door Knockers turned up with his card and drawings and was being a bit too persistent...he eventually got told to **** off in a language he understood :lol: :lol: :good:

Azzurri

His drawings were very good :yes:

In 2 years, I've had 3 of these, so called ex lags, with ID cards. I just tell em no thanks and "shout" at the mentioned 3 dogs through the door, to stay. Ok, they're in the back, but they don't know that, and the worst thing they will get get is a bad lick :D

We've had one of these round recently, when he arrived it was in the middle of the most enourmous 10 min downpour and he was soaked to the skin, he asked if he could have a piece of paper towel to try and dry his face and hair. (was quite funny)

He seemed ok and was polite so I felt sorry for him so bought a few bits which we needed (although could have got cheaper else where) better that than him out nicking stuff.

There for the grace of God go a lot of us. I am sure there will be a lot of ex-bankers doing the same soon. I can imagine the response I'll get from kdubya when I turn up on his doorstop. :hmm:

I admire them for trying. No excuse for bad manners though.

We had a Pole come to door with same thing except card said he was a student and couldn't speak Ingrish. - I said no and they were basic pictures.

Dave

i've had similar but the pictures this Pole had were amazing, so much so that i was convinced they were colour printed.....still told him to jog on

you dont mind paying if there is a bit of tallent, but just scribbling on paper shows that they are just begging, I have two deaf Brickies, a deaf joiner and a deaf plumber, I also work closely with the college for the deaf, and none of them beg and would be very upset to know that otheres were giving them a bad name, this is how stereo types are started, you did the right thing in my mind. :good::good::good:

the same happened to me twice by the same chap,the first time it happened her indoors anwsered,and she said this guy held a card up to her face,it read my name is ivan i cant speak english and would you like to buy one of my paintings,she politely said no because they were kakka but didnt tell him so,anyhows the year after there was another knock on the door the wife went to anwser again but looked through the living room first to see who it was,and she instantly recognised the guy from last time,so this time i anwsered the door,he then preceeded to put a card not to close to my mug but close enough to see what it read and it said hello my name is steven and i am deaf and dumb and would you like to buy one of my paintings,and i not so politely said no followed by your a ****** liar and you come here last year sayin you couldnt speak the ****** lingo now **** off which he smartly did :lol:

paddy.