Muntjac buck this morning

Dunkield

I was able to go for a stalk this morning, so got to my ground at about 06:30.

It all seemed very quiet as I got ready, had a quick spy round just to make sure nothing was right up close and made my way off, luckily the wind was perfect.

Did my usual spy a lot, walk a little, but couldn't see any deer at all which is unusual.

I decided to hold up for a little while just to see if anything was moving and just caught the white flash of a backside disappearing down into a dip.

Looked like roe to me but I only saw it for a split second, I walked to to where I predicted it was going hoping it was just walking not running.

Once I got to where I guessed I would see it, there was nothing to be seen, I waited again for a bit and saw a horizontal line in the woods.

Got the bins on it and there were 2 tiny muntjac, the buck knew something was up but I am fairly sure couldn't see me.

He barked which spooked the doe and off the pair of them went :(

The direction the buck went in was pointless following so I opted to track the doe, after about ten minutes I saw her again but she was still walking pretty quickly.

I had a hint of a shot, it would have been at range and with her walking quickly so not ideal, as I hesitated she was gone.

To be honest I felt like that was it, 2 half chances gone, you don't normally get much more than that with muntjac on this land, roe will stand there for hours but muntjac are away on their toes...

I decided to 'keep calm and carry on' and continued a very slow stalk though the woods, when I got that feeling when you know you are being watched, I very slowly brought my bins up and did a 360 degree scan, and sure enough a decent sized muntjac no more than 60 yards away frozen to the spot staring right at me.

As there was a tree between us I moved no more than a foot to my left and 'hid' behind it, looking out every 15 seconds or so to see what he was going to do.

If they think they haven't been spotted after a while they either carry on feeding, or trot off to be on the safe side.

I was now close to the tree and managed to slowly get the rifle up against the side of it, through the scope I could see it was really decent buck still staring staight back at me so just kept still for a bit longer. Luckily he turned broadside and I wasn't about to miss this last opertunity so shot him as he turned.

He dropped on the spot, I watched him for a while and then wandered over to just how big he actually was.

Answer, pretty bloody big, certainly a medal not sure what sort, I will get it measured anyway, I am just trying to decide whether to get <another> shoulder mount done, personally I think he deserves it.

P1030312 (Medium).JPG

P1030315 (Medium).JPG

.223 round for scale

P1030316 (Medium).JPG

you can tell you're from Bucks (and that's not a deer joke) - you're shopping's all from Waitrose ;)

Only because we can't afford to shop at M&S ;)

nice one looks a corker, as for the fridge I'd be very much single if I did the same :lol:

It was Mrs D's suggestion (but she had been shopping all day with friends)

'He' is now in the freezer and having heard back from the taxidermist will be on his way down there next weekend.

I will get it scored and post the after pictures but as it will take about 6 months don't hold your breath.

I am tempted to stalk again in the morning, but can't afford to shoot another one :blink:

Nice write up. It's nice when you get a decent writer that doesn't bang on about all the technical information all the time.

Definitely get it mounted. I always think a deer of that size always deserves it. To me it's a sort of respect for the deer thing.

It has to be said though strawberrys in march that's utter madness surely they should be one of those great British summer treats.

Nick

Well done mate :good: thats a cracker, never seen such girth :blush: definately gold :yes:

Having measured the last one as gold only to be told it's silver I am not making any predictions or setting my expectations. I am having it mounted as it is such a fine specimen that deserves as much. I can sense you and Nik want to hear the unedited version of the story so I will save that for the cafe :-)