Most important sungle tip given to you

Grandalf

Just wondering what each of us would consider the most valuable single wildfowling tip that we were ever given.

I think mine would be a very simple 'Be there' given to me by marsh guide Sid Wright, Wash area, way back in the 60's.

His simple philosophy was that you had to put the hours in on the marsh so that you never missed that day when the geese did something odd - like flying right over your favourite hide at 20'!

How many times since then have people said to me 'you should have been here yesterday' after I had stayed at home because I thought there was not enough wind for a good flight and it was not worth the effort of getting out of a warm and comfy bed in the middle of the night?

(That should read single tip)

Sid Wright was right...

Edited by Grandalf

Always be 15 min too early for flight. Better that than to arrive 15 mins too late . You might as well stayed in bed !

Arriving a little early allows you time to move to a better position if neccessary , arrange your hide\ decoys , settle down before the birds start to flight and you are not disturbing other fowlers .

The only downside about being early is it also gives you time to get that bit colder , But come on guys we are suposed to be hairy , rough and tough wildfowlers.

"whether its 2 birds or 200 coming in, pick your bird before you lift your gun". my uncle always told me this when i started wildfowling, nothing worse as when a decent flock of birds takes you by surprise and you dont know which to shoot and by the time you shoot, its too late.

"whether its 2 birds or 200 coming in, pick your bird before you lift your gun". my uncle always told me this when i started wildfowling, nothing worse as when a decent flock of birds takes you by surprise and you dont know which to shoot and by the time you shoot, its too late.

Fell fowl to that a few times :lol:

A few people i know swear by it :yes:

You do the swearing about two minutes after you extract your hands from the almost freezing north sea!!

The pain is unbelievable but the method works.

After the pain you have just experienced having cold hands is hardly felt at all. :lol:

My trigger finger got so cold a couple of weeks ago that it took at least a week for the feeling to return to it. The 2nd barrel didn't fire on two occasions and I discovered it was because my finger was so cold i didn't realise I hadn't realised it.

Gave me a bit of a scare to be honest and in fact it's not 100% better now. Feels like I've slept on it and the feeling has returned about 90%, but it's struggling to get the rest back.

You do the swearing about two minutes after you extract your hands from the almost freezing north sea!!

The pain is unbelievable but the method works.

After the pain you have just experienced having cold hands is hardly felt at all. :lol:

I always assumed that was how it worked and opted for gloves and lots of tea......which brings me nicely to my next point......dont forget your flask :yes:

Edited by mpk