Child Benefit

AVB

You can argue whether the proposal that any household where there is a higher rate taxpayer in the family won't get child benefit is fair but my question is more around how is it going to be managed.

As I undertsand it I will be asked on my tax return whether anybody in the family receives child benefit. As present my tax afairs are my own and as are my wifes. Therefore I could answer that I don't know whether she receives child benefit (why should she tell me) and she could also claim that she doesn't know whether I am a higher rate tax payer (why should I tell her).

What is one expected to do in that situation? I presume they will say that unless you confirm positively that child benefit is not received it will be assumed that it is received. Seems unfair to me but the whole thing is imho.

There are so many things they could do to gain this money back, personally I think they should limit it to the first 2 kids. Again they choose to hammer the hard working and let the dole employed 6 children families get off scot free.

I wouldnt bother telling the HMRC any half truths, it will only drop you in the mire later on.

Did anyone read the headline about 49 million in child benifit leaving this country to foriegn familys because there parteners/husbands and family members work here ?..........apparently the hmrc actually transfer it straight out ?? Crazy

I'm with Nick Ferrari on this one - why should anyone receive any state assistance for having children? If you can't afford to bring up your own children then don't have any / so many; why should tax payers or anyone else for that matter chip in?

My understanding is that child benefit hails back to an age after the wars when the government was quite keen on getting people to breed and increase the Country's population - that can't be the case now and so "child benefit" or the concept of child benefit has run its course. It's just another benefit / state hand out that we have all taken for granted and think should be available as a "right".

They ought to stop giving child benefit to the ones who are breeding like rabbits. In general they are not high earners. Child benefit just encourages them to have more.

totally agree with this. the ones who are also breeding like rabbits generally seem to do a very poor job raising children anyway.

They will change it before Wednesday anyway, if they leave the limit where it is my wife stands to lose the child benefit and i`m sorry but if you pay tax and no matter how much you earn then it`s your tax why shouldn`t you basically get a bit of it back each week??

i hope so - i'm in the worse situation for this. i'm just over the threshold to lose it, wife does not work (career break to be at home with two children under 5) we get no other benefit from the state, my wife spends a huge amount of time helping to run a local pre-school, raising funds for them and generally doing a lot for the community. My work provides healthcare for my family (no burden on the nhs - and for this i get taxed!) and i'm about to lose £30 a week, it stinks!!!

a family paying a mortgage, running a car with two children on just over 44K are NOT 'well off' by any stretch of the imagination.

now compare this to a relative of mine - 3 kids (no 'planning' just 'arrived'), left school at 16, no real career (him or the girlfriend), gets money chucked at them, part time job, lives in a house the same size as mine (yes - the council own it rather than the bank), tax credits galore, has two weeks abroad a year (i currently dont - we cant afford it), got a house full of nice consumer goods. apart from 'books' of course, but three games consoles - hence why my daughter aged 5 can read and write better than his 8 year old. - where is the justice??? the system currently encourages / allows this and it stinks.

and the crazy thing its - my kids will probably end up saddled with student loans into late middle age to pay for his kids to live this cycle again.

rant over. :angry:

And here you are all moaning about a benefit that most of your parents would have inevitably received for you, i would imagine people moaned at your parents telling them not to have kids, and yet, here you are moaning about people have children.. get over yourselves...i have children, i wanted children!!...seems most of the people on here boast about earning stupid amounts of money, you wont be claiming your state pensions then will you...something else for you to have a grumble over.

Did anyone read the headline about 49 million in child benifit leaving this country to foriegn familys because there parteners/husbands and family members work here ?..........apparently the hmrc actually transfer it straight out ?? Crazy

-

to me that should be simple 'tap off' scenario.

Edited by pegasus bridge

And here you are all moaning about a benefit that most of your parents would have inevitably received for you, i would imagine people moaned at your parents telling them not to have kids, and yet, here you are moaning about people have children.. get over yourselves...i have children, i wanted children!!...seems most of the people on here boast about earning stupid amounts of money, you wont be claiming your state pensions then will you...something else for you to have a grumble over.

My parents received it because my dad did the same job as me, he retired at 55 and he paid his tax and as far as i`m concerned i pay tax i chose to have a child therefore giving me some of my tax back is fair, if you don`t pay tax you shouldn`t get anything, SIMPLE. I`ll claim my pension because i pay tax, however i`ll be retired at 55 so by the time it comes to state pension time it will not exist.

The Chinese have the right idea limiting children.

How about this for a system....

You pay tax and have no children you get a piece of tax back for less burden on the state.

You pay tax and have children you get a piece of tax back.

You don`t pay tax and have children, tough doo doo live with your life choice.

You don`t pay tax and have no children, what`s to worry about you don`t pay into the system therefore the system is closed to you!

totally agree with this. the ones who are also breeding like rabbits generally seem to do a very poor job raising children anyway.

i hope so - i'm in the worse situation for this. i'm just over the threshold to lose it, wife does not work (career break to be at home with two children under 5) we get no other benefit from the state, my wife spends a huge amount of time helping to run a local pre-school, raising funds for them and generally doing a lot for the community. My work provides healthcare for my family (no burden on the nhs - and for this i get taxed!) and i'm about to lose £30 a week, it stinks!!!

a family paying a mortgage, running a car with two children on just over 44K are NOT 'well off' by any stretch of the imagination.

now compare this to a relative of mine - 3 kids (no 'planning' just 'arrived'), left school at 16, no real career (him or the girlfriend), gets money chucked at them, part time job, lives in a house the same size as mine (yes - the council own it rather than the bank), tax credits galore, has two weeks abroad a year (i currently dont - we cant afford it), got a house full of nice consumer goods. apart from 'books' of course, but three games consoles - hence why my daughter aged 5 can read and write better than his 8 year old. - where is the justice??? the system currently encourages / allows this and it stinks.

and the crazy thing its - my kids will probably end up saddled with student loans into late middle age to pay for his kids to live this cycle again.

you want a bet....We do well on half that thanks..its all about the things that come first

Some people are so nieve, who do you think will be paying the taxes that pay for your state pension, the infrastructure of the country and the NHS in the future. It's an investment in the future of the country, not a freebie. 44,000 if your partner has to look after your children is a decent wage but nothing to shout about after all the higher rate taxes. (I get nothing near this)

What would you prefer, a future of kids who come from a unemployed family of 6 who think that dole and Xbox are the height of employment and kids from a decent family that have had a work ethic installed in them by decent parents and want to better themselves.

I know what i'd choose

Edited by Livefast123

of £49 a week that just abouts covers the nursey fees as if not if would not be worth the lass going back to work

we had a similar dilemma - and financially it was hardly worth my wife going back to work - our childcare fee's were £190 (for ONE!) a week though, for two it just was not worth it (with no tax credits availible) I am honestly not having a go at hard working (the emphasis on working) families here - i just feel bitter that i pay a lot of tax, pay my way, my family are not a burden on the nhs and i am losing the only little bit back we currently get. yes - in a few years time when the wife gets back to her career i'm sure i will 'feel' better off than my bone idle relative - but at the moment i'm not feeling it :good:

Edited by pegasus bridge

I say scrap child benefit for all....and then give tax allowances for the each child up to a maximum of 2, similar to MIRAS of years ago.....for non-tax payers or those that earn below the threshold then child allowance should form part of the proposed universal benefit. There are too many benefits that make the system complicated to manage, police, administer and indeed claim if you find yourself needing to.

Just my thoughts......

You say people earning 44 grand a year are not ,well off, i am a self employed decorator i have a mortgage run a car and have a family to keep my earnings are up and down,to earn anywere near 44 grand,i would class myself as fortunate and certainly ,well off,.