New Benelli Boy -Semi Auto

Whitebridges

Every now and again you (i) fancy something different?

I've been using a lovely little Urika 2 20 bore on pigeons and have been getting on fairly well with it. In fact it's perfect, bar a bit of clout at the rangier cushies.I gave my old Browning B2000 12 bore away to a good friend. Space in the cabinet and time to research 12 bore auto's for pigeon shooting and a few clays every so often. I have never ever bought a new automatic. I have been through at lot of s/h Brownings and Beretta's all of which are good pieces of kit. So I had a good ol' scrummage in the browning and beretta racks in several dealers. Some far away some close to the house.

I shouldered all sorts of Maxus and A400's and didn't like any. Three mates are using M2 and one an M3 Benelli. They said get a Benelli, so I did, a Raffaello. I've used the M2 and it is so, so good but it's a plank to my eye. I have a few shims and things to play with but it isn't a mile out on fit. Might need an ounce or two in the butt end, we'll see.

This is the gun, not mine but so similar: lg_raffaello_12_gauge_silo.jpg

Not wishing to wind the old semi-auto threads up gents, you understand. More interested in views from Raffaello owners particularly and Benelli experts. Thank you. :D

Edited by Whitebridges

I have the Raffaello Crio 12 bore 3" chamber, compared to my other guns its very light, even with the lighness never felt the need to put weights in the butt, mine has the silver action.

Its a great gun handles well very pointable and I am at the moment using it all the time instead of the o/u's for skeet shooting. Will be shooting sporting clays soon and in 2 minds as to keep using the crio or go back to o/u as its such a good gun.

Mine even fires Hull Comp X 21G cartridges with is a good bonus with a s/a. Its easy to clean and not yet needed to drop the trigger group out to clean.

I have the Raffaello Crio 12 bore 3" chamber, compared to my other guns its very light, even with the lighness never felt the need to put weights in the butt, mine has the silver action.

Its a great gun handles well very pointable and I am at the moment using it all the time instead of the o/u's for skeet shooting. Will be shooting sporting clays soon and in 2 minds as to keep using the crio or go back to o/u as its such a good gun.

Mine even fires Hull Comp X 21G cartridges with is a good bonus with a s/a. Its easy to clean and not yet needed to drop the trigger group out to clean.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply BSV10, i'm pleased to here you are pleased with your crio. Gun balance is a personal thing as you will know. It just feels "top heavy" to me but i'll have a poke with her and see how it goes. They are lovely quality guns, everything is real nice and well put together.

Edited by Whitebridges

As you say gun handling is a personal thing, which is whare I don't find it top heavy, what surprised me how easily I got used to how it handles, considering my main gun was the SV10 prevail kick off (a lot heavier).

With other s/a I have found the stocks to be too short for me, fair enough the crio lop is slightly shorter than the beretta's, again this does not appear to be a problem.

As you have used a s/a before you would of got used to the re-coil and bolt cycling action in the corner of your eye. Which I only notice for about 1/2 a dozen shots if I have not used the gun for ages.

The only thing I have with it and all my guns is damaging the wood if I went out rough shooting, and was wondering if a synthetic stock would be better, but I prefer would stocks so will just have to be carefull with it.

I've had my Supersport about 12 months now, bought it new from Premier Guns and use it solely for sporting clays.

I'm embarrassed at the amount of different guns I've bought and sold since starting shooting about 2 years ago but I can honestly say I shoot better with the Benelli than any of the other guns I currently own or have owned previously.

I'm not a particularly well built chap so the lightness and speed of the gun really suit me whereas some folks reckon they are a bit on the light side. I did add a Briley magazine cap to replace the standard one which does seem to smooth the swing nicely.

I must add that the Supersport has a noticeably shorter stock than my other guns and this LOP clearly suits me personally as the gun very clearly goes where I'm looking and really does allow me to totally focus on the clay.

If youre as happy with yours as I've been with mine you won't be disappointed.

Iggy.

I picked up a benelli M2 in black in january and love it ! Ive shot my best score on the clays with it !

Have used it a couple of times roost shooting to good effect to ! Just need to get out decoying with it !

I absorbs recoil great and is rally comfy to handle and to date for me is the best fitting gun iv ever handled !

I would say if you are mainyl doing clays and can afford to, go for the supersport but as an alrounder i think the M2 takes some beating ! Great bit of kit and easy to maintain to :good:

Cheers SS, yes the M2 is a cracking bit of kit. Put 60 odd Fiocchi 28g through my new Raffaelleo today, never missed a beat, loving it. It's definately heavier on recoil than a gas auto, I suppose a little framed gent might notice this, but i'm a big ****** and the more the merrier. Any more Benelli fans out there? Cheers. :D

Another vote for benelli i brought a supersport carbon fibre model a month back and its never in the cabinet.I use it for everything pigeons, roosting, hares, clays my poor old winny 101 hasnt had a look in for a month its just a all round pleasure to shoot :D

D you still feel the need to put lead in the butt to change the balance? bound to gets some posts saying you should of got a hatstand :D For me I love the Benelli's I prefer the iinertia recoil system over the gas recoil.

Clocked up about 350 through her now BSV10, no I won't be messing about with the balance. Took a bit of getting used to but I like it a lot the way it is.

Cheers for replies fellas. Tried 4 different flavours of ammo. Fiocchi 28g Top One, flawless. Gamebore 28g Black Gold F2, ejected half way across the range, what do they put in these things? Yikes! No trouble with these, but they are a bit punchy. Express Super Comp 28g, 3 ejection fails, don't think the gun liked these much. Noticed think blue powder deposits in the action. Shame as I like these a lot through my O/U. Hull Sovereign FITSAC 28g, top draw never missed a beat with these. Might take a bit more running in before I can try other loads? Any thoughts?

Bloody loving the gun though..... Cheers all.

Got a sbe2 and a m1 super90, I also have moved from gas autos and find the benellis lighter but better balanced than berettas. the recoil thing is more to do with the bolt cycling than recoil. One of my mates has a supersport with a balance wieght on the stock ****, he recons this reduces the recoil even more. :good: :good:

Clocked up about 350 through her now BSV10, no I won't be messing about with the balance. Took a bit of getting used to but I like it a lot the way it is.

Did not think you would mess with it, they made them to work well as they are.

Cheers for replies fellas. Tried 4 different flavours of ammo. Fiocchi 28g Top One, flawless. Gamebore 28g Black Gold F2, ejected half way across the range, what do they put in these things? Yikes! No trouble with these, but they are a bit punchy. Express Super Comp 28g, 3 ejection fails, don't think the gun liked these much. Noticed think blue powder deposits in the action. Shame as I like these a lot through my O/U. Hull Sovereign FITSAC 28g, top draw never missed a beat with these. Might take a bit more running in before I can try other loads? Any thoughts?

Bloody loving the gun though..... Cheers all.

I use Hull Comp X 21G and 28G also have used Hull HV's as well all of the fibre variaty, only tried clay cartridges through it. Have rarely used other than Hull's apart from when I ran out of cartridges on the odd ocasions and some one gave some cartridges to me to finish the round. The hull's I found don't spit that far when ejecting.

Only ever had one cartridge miss a beat, not sure why it played up.

I bought my Cri second hand and had been only fired twice, shot 21G from cartridges the first time I used it, used a few 28G every now and then.

I own a black Benelli M2 Longmag and have to say its the best handling s/a I have ever used, especially after buying the longer recoil pad and adjusting the shims to get a good fit. It has never missed a beat, whether eating 24g clay loads to 40g AAA. Being a non gasser, the recoil is a little punchy but the comfortech system does help smooth things out. The Crio chokes are superb and have never loosened during a days hard graft. OK , she can be a tad lardy with 8 shells on board, but she does shed weight with ease when giving vermin the good news :good:

I own a black Benelli M2 Longmag and have to say its the best handling s/a I have ever used, especially after buying the longer recoil pad and adjusting the shims to get a good fit. It has never missed a beat, whether eating 24g clay loads to 40g AAA. Being a non gasser, the recoil is a little punchy but the comfortech system does help smooth things out. The Crio chokes are superb and have never loosened during a days hard graft. OK , she can be a tad lardy with 8 shells on board, but she does shed weight with ease when giving vermin the good news :good:

Thanks for the post Pointer, yes the M2 is an awesome gun, i've only ever shot the 3 cart limited one. I can imagine it being a pretty good vermin destroyer especially in FAC mode.

I stuck half choke in mine (the one with three notches), it throws pretty tight patterns judging by the way I fluked a few off the high tower. It was rock solid in the gun after 3 shoots.

I gave her a clean up yesterday and everything was so so simple. Took the whole gun apart, cleaned the lot, stuck it back together and it's all rearing to go. Probably unnecessary after a few hundred rounds but was pleased to be able to put it all back together....there were more than a few bits on the table.

I unscrewed the choke cleaned it up and put a dab of the supplied oil on the thread and everything went down nice and thumb tight.

sounds like a quality gun. been a franchi gas auto fan for a while now due to there light weight and low recoil.

also cycles 24g upward :good: . if i ever change an m2 sounds a good weapon to look at.

I liked the look of the franchi's darn good VFM.

Had a massive CUp on the pigeons Saturday on a cut overwintered mustard cover crop. Shot 8. should have been 80. Forgot bouncers, batteries, set up in the wrong place. Should have got in the ditch..... but didn't and was lazy etc...etc. PPP=PPP. There's alway's another day.... :D

Another few hundred through the gun today and I reckon the trigger is a bit heavy. I don't know what it pulls but it's on the heavy side. Anyone had any tweaks to their Benelli triggers?

I daresay it's straightforward and thinking I might get it looked at.

Trigger seems ok to me but each to his own I have an SBE 1 I find it fits really well and I love to shoot it and hit good birds with it. Bit light for goose carts but ok as you don't fire many. Mine won't cycle 21gm carts but it's 3.5" chambered. Mind you every time I pick it up and mout it I think what a nice gun! ;)