...just watched the Police attacked by dog

huntsman

The thing that disturbed me was that the police officer put his forearm out to defend himself, now that was plain daft, major arteries just under the skin!!! he made no attaempt to kick it, i would have stuck the boot in as if my life depended on it!!!

I think the policed need to do one of 2 things:

Ban them from being kept in this country, once and for all.

Train the police better to deal with them, perhaps give them a cattle prod type tazer for dealing only with dogs. :no:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a police dog handler I got called to a stand off where a couple of response officers were wanting to lock up a man who was wanted on warrant and he was threatening them with his two Staffies. He was stood on the street with the dogs off leash at his feet and wouldn't listen to reason. As was always the case the van's Pepper Mace canister was empty. In the end I had one dog held up in each hand by the scruff of their necks but not before they had bitten the same officer twice. Fortunately laddo's house was nearby and so I was able to chuck them into his outhouse and lock them in.

I used to regularly get called to deal with dogs in houses where warrants were being executed, but rarely did the dog cause any problems. Usually they could be confined in a garage or bathroom while the search was in progress.

It sounds like this dog was more than a bit psycho'

<Edit> I don't know if any of you who have posted suggestions on how to have dealt with the dog have actually faced up and tackled a dog like this. Going by the comments I would suggest not. In my experience the hardest dogs to deal with are the bull terrier types. They are usually small enough to cause you to have to bend rather than fight on your feet, they are as hard as nails, often it is like getting a grip on a bottle they are so muscular. They have short, powerful jaws that you can't prise open as you can with a long nosed breed such as a GSD, and you can't easily disarm them by pulling their lower jaw down to their chest as you can with a GSD. One came at my police dog one night. I kept my dog close to my side on a very short leash and kicked the terier as it came in. The dog was focussed on my dog not me so this was a lot easier than if I had been the target. I rolled that dog over at least six times by kicking it in the ribs before the owner got it on a leash. Every time I kicked it the damn thing came back in again.

Edited by UKPoacher

Some are looking at a small snapshot of the incident and overlooking the bigger picture. Five officers were injured which suggests there was a lot more to this than the video shows.

The guy who owns the dog has subsequently been charged with possession of a banned dog, a pit bull, not a staffy.

The video doesn't look good but it doesn't show the other four officers getting injured, nor how the dog was eventually taken down before being shot.

BBC link

Edited by Bagsy

Great ideas from some on here........ you are only seeing the last parts of this and the last officer to be injured.......

1- CS does not work on animals... full stop.... horses sheep or dogs

2- pepper spray does...... ok so you spray it..... what next.... you have in effect injured it and its fight/flight instinct will kick in.... its now very angry....

3- Taser..... 5 second burst what are you going to do in that five seconds? Do you have a plan or cage nearby? Taser will put the animal down for the time of the "burst" then what, i refer you to point 2

4- Dog shelds / co2 great for fending off.... what happens next? point 2

5- pole and collar... you need to contain it first. Then have at least two people trained and a cage to put it in when its poled.

6- firearms officer....... magic what about authority or response time...... then safe backdrop on a small moving target.....

7- intelligence / planning ......... yeah right what if the dog belonged to a visitor to the property? this was not some big raid, just a routine call arrest attempt thousands done every day

The police are not in possession of a magic wand or the power of hindsight like some on here.

Speaking to an FEO once every five years does not an expert make.

hp

Edited by happypig

If a dog bites your arm you use it to your advantage. Push across and down on it to make it side step - you'll most likely be able to force it to fall over sideways. If your other arm is still functioning then grabbing it's far front leg from underneat it really helps. Once it's lead on it's side you fall to your knees on it's ribs. That in an ideal world results in broken ribs, punctured lungs and a dog that's in no fit shape to fight. It will most likely kill it. At the very least you force it into a position of submission where it doesn't have the dexterity to get up even if it wants to so the only damage it can do is to what it already has hold of.

Sorry NJ, but that just shows how out of touch some people are with this breed of dog.

That dog IMO was trained to do exactly what it did in the video,

they have endless energy, & are only bred for one purpose.

Its all very well saying you should of done this or that but these dogs have the force to break bones in half with there jaws. When you have one clamped on your arm

taking chunks out of you then come back and tell me you could of killed it with a boot to the head.

I witnessed a Staffordshire bull terrier attack and a guy trying to get it off his mate hitting it over the head with a steel baseball bat after 10 attempts the dog

was still going eventually they dragged it off and it had to be put down by injection later.

Some of you are not giving enough respect of how tough these dogs actually are when trained to be fighters or guard dogs..

and for anyone saying its the Breed go and boil your head these dogs are what we as humans make them no breed is a born killer

and for anyone saying its the Breed go and boil your head these dogs are what we as humans make them no breed is a born killer

No, but they were bred for fighting.

If you wanted a guard dog you wouldn't go and buy a cocker spaniel.

And the reverse, you wouldn't get very far trialing a staffy.

Some breeds are naturally aggressive, they were bred for it, hence born to it. Some breeds do not require training to attack what they perceive as a threat to their pack or territory, in fact they need proper training not to attack

Great ideas from some on here........ you are only seeing the last parts of this and the last officer to be injured.......

2- pepper spray does...... ok so you spray it..... what next.... you have in effect injured it and its fight/flight instinct will kick in.... its now very angry....

3- Taser..... 5 second burst what are you going to do in that five seconds? Do you have a plan or cage nearby? Taser will put the animal down for the time of the "burst" then what, i refer you to point 2

5- pole and collar... you need to contain it first. Then have at least two people trained and a cage to put it in when its poled.

6- firearms officer....... magic what about authority or response time...... then safe backdrop on a small moving target.....

7- intelligence / planning ......... yeah right what if the dog belonged to a visitor to the property? this was not some big raid, just a routine call arrest attempt thousands done every day

The police are not in possession of a magic wand or the power of hindsight like some on here.

hp

Simple tactic here...

1) Have 2 officers either side of front door with a long net, about 4 foot high!

2) Knock door in!

3) Open door.

4) Stand police offer 4 foot away from door making noise encouraging rabid fido too him!

5) Dog rushes into net.

6) Net drawn and dog immobilised.

7) Tranquilise and cage dog!

The owner was known to have a dog that had bitten someone previously. So there was no excuse for what happened other than poor planning!

Edited by secretagentmole

I hope I never have a tussle with a pit bull type - they are all muscle.

Hell, it's a gun down 5 minute job for me to get a pigeon out my cocker's mouth when she's feeling stubborn (not mean angry mind you).

I reckon you would need something like a long screw driver - you would break a kitchen knife on one.

hp

I'm with you on all points except point 2 - pepper mace. On the few occassions I have been able to find a can of the stuff that wasn't empty (we are talking the days when CS was issued to officers and pepper mace was only carried in dog vans) it worked a treat is as much as the dog disappeared as far from the scene as it could get in as short a time as possible. The downside to this of course is that this would undoubtedly cause a problem elsewhere.

Simple tactic here...

1) Have 2 officers either side of front door with a long net, about 4 foot high!

2) Knock door in!

3) Open door.

4) Stand police offer 4 foot away from door making noise encouraging rabid fido too him!

5) Dog rushes into net.

6) Net drawn and dog immobilised.

7) Tranquilise and cage dog!

The owner was known to have a dog that had bitten someone previously. So there was no excuse for what happened other than poor planning!

Yeah. Right. What could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

No, but they were bred for fighting.

If you wanted a guard dog you wouldn't go and buy a cocker spaniel.

And the reverse, you wouldn't get very far trialing a staffy.

You would actually, well pitbull to be precise its called 'bandog dread' and has more working title than any other breed, just shows what a good owner can do with a dog.

Edited by bicykillgaz

So I guess next time this happens the police should contact a few of you 'well informed' people for tactical advice during such a spontaneous incident. I'm sure your split second advice would help so much. Or no better still maybe some of you could go out and try and sort out the situation yourselves (no - thought not, leave it to the old bill to deal with) I didn’t notice anyone coming out of their houses to help the officers.

Fact of the matter is the sooner people realise that the country is full of these num nut wasters (the majority of whom are benefit grabbing do nothings with extensive criminal records) breading, keeping and training dogs capable of being lethal weapons and quit exercising their right to waste oxygen by making useless post incident comments the better. I'm sure the shoe would be on the other foot if you came across some youth with one of these type dogs whilst you were out enjoying a day in the park with your kids.....

The worst part of this whole thing is that the scum that keep these animals for criminal purposes will probably see this video as an incitement to utilise their dogs in a similar manner.

It will be interesting to see if the owner gets a custodial and if so what term?

I am snow blind to it.

You see a street full of bins (and it's not bin day), cars that have been abandoned outside their owners houses and like on police camera action the Old Bill go knocking.... Not in work, fag on the go, well 'ard dog and a house full of mates smoking gear, drinking larger and watching day time telly. Turns out warrants outstanding, so back to the station for that flawed process to start over again.

And just think, their vote counts the same as mine or yours :lol:

What amazes me is that none of the oficers drew their batons, faced with a dog coming at me id use whatever I had to hand to try and maintain a distance and fend it off.

I cant criticize them for trying to get away, they were probably trying to phone for backup.

Got to love some of the keyboard warriors on here !! Its ok saying i'd do this and i'd do that, but when that set of jaws on legs was flying at you, your mind would be in overdrive ! This dog was quite clearly trained to be like this by the halfwit, scumbag who owns it ! Perhaps your criticism should be better vented at him and like minded morons !!

Dogs are very strong for their size, however humans are much smarter and heavier. It strikes me that these officers had no training on how to deal with an aggressive ( and actually not all that large ) dog. One officer appears to be actually offering the dog his arm to bite, like in dog training, I don't know why he thought that would help. As NJC110381 wrote, you can control a dog using weight and intelligence - as long as you don't panic - although if it was me I would be backing slowly away and kicking it hard every time it came near. It might have a strong bite, but it'll hurt a lot less through a boot.

When I was in the army many years ago I was trained to deal with attack dogs. I have never had to use it but it seems the police are not trained. The going in to the dog and offering your arm is part of the training. He will bite you and it will bloody well hurt but while he is locked on you and another clamp his jaws closed and he cannot open them. Dogs have strong jaws but only in one direction The danger is ripping which he will do if not clamped. Then you kill it using a technique I will not describe but basically his heart is very close to the gap between his front two legs. Had the police been trained they would have still sustained injury but it would not have been so serious.

Edited by Vince Green

When I was in the army many years ago I was trained to deal with attack dogs. I have never had to use it but it seems the police are not trained. The going in to the dog and offering your arm is part of the training. He will bite you and it will bloody well hurt but while he is locked on you and another clamp his jaws closed and he cannot open them. Dogs have strong jaws but only in one direction The danger is ripping which he will do if not clamped. Then you kill it using a technique I will not describe but basically his heart is very close to the gap between his front two legs. Had the police been trained they would have still sustained injury but it would not have been so serious.

In our Force dog handlers were expected to deal with dangerous dogs. There was never any routine training for other officers. It is not a common situation.

What you say about offering your arm is spot on for some large breeds. I don't know what you are trained to do next, but there is a simple method and that is to take hold of the windpipe with your other hand. None of this would work with a bull terrier though. It is designed to deal with GSDs and the like that were traditionally used as guard dogs.

i cannot believe how many people are deffending dangerous dogs with stupid comments and bull type owners advocates

as i have said before , they are the dog of drug dealers and knuckle heads who want to look hard

they are a banned breeed and every support should be given to the police and poor **** who had to attend that scene

its long overdue for that type of dogs extinction

i cannot believe how many people are deffending dangerous dogs with stupid comments and bull type owners advocates

as i have said before , they are the dog of drug dealers and knuckle heads who want to look hard

they are a banned breeed and every support should be given to the police and poor **** who had to attend that scene

its long overdue for that type of dogs extinction

Bit harsh tarring every owner with the same brush, i have no desire to look hard which is why my dogs are called baggins and Tia not Satan and tyson! I hate the image these breeds have been given by these type of idiots but there is a hell of a lot less of these type of owners than you suggest but admittedly a hell of a lot more than there should be.