What a weekend - 611 pigeons

Topgunners

Another great day. :blush::blush:

So what decoying tools are you using? :good:

Right folks .

Here goes.

After yesterday's 2nd 400+ day we had to go down to Gloucester and reccy a fair bit of land I have acquired but haven't visited for a while and on the first call the gardener/caretaker said they had seen 3 cub foxes and parents roaming around their grounds and could we have a flush through with the dogs.

Also, there were at least 5 MAGPIES flitting around the main house.

So we spread out across the land and Alan flushed the spinney with the springer. Within a few yards dropped the 1st Magpie and walked right down to the lake and then we double-backed to the parked truck & shot 2 more Magpies. Knocked the gardeners door and showed him our spoils. Well pleased.

We were about to join Terry who had set up in Coventry (where we had shot yesterday) and on the way popped into another farm on the way back through Stratford , and were informed by the Farmer's Son that he had a couple of fields of blown wheat,.

We went for a look and set up 2 Hides 30 yards apart along a hedgerow with the wind behind us and placed 12 decoys in front of each hide and 2 x Magnets.

We started shooting about 2.30pm and by 5.00pm had shot 109 and then rang Terry who had shot 75 and he had packed up.

I sat there and did a LOOOONG calculation and worked out that we needed 8 more to make 600 for this weekend and over 1,300 for the last fortnight.

We decided to "bash on " till we got them and it was the longest wait for 8 birds we had in two weeks, (and then shot 11 more for luck.)

Altogether today we shot 203 pigeons, (with 35 missed birds missed in total).

This has to rate as our BEST EVER weeekend/fortnight in years.

A lotta, lotta miles travelled and a lot of spent cartridges.

Full resume as follows.

June 24th 129 pigeons and 1 Crow

June 25th 148 pigeons

June 26th 37 pigeons

June 28th 33 pigeons

July 1st 351 pigeons and 75 Crows / Rooks (with assistance from Lurcher Boy)

July7th 7 pigeons

July 8th 408 pigeons and 1 Crow

July 9th 203 pigeons and 3 Magpies

Total 1,316 x pigeons

77 x blackies 3 x Magpies

Dave K

Congrats on yer results Dave. They're certainly showing incredibly well these days.

I always enjoy reading your posts as they always remind me of a ransom note with all the bizarre font sizes and colour changes!! :good:

Watch out you might be on the next WANTED reward poster.

:good::good::lol:

Dave K

Dave K you sure fell into the slurry pit and came out smelling of roses. A very good run. I'm sure you did a lot of miles and spent a lot of time on recons. Tell us more; the crops, conditions, decoy patterns etc. if it's not a secret recipe :good: Well done.

Yo Highlander.

You are bang on(pardon the pun)

We did over 200 miles this wekend travelling round reccying our farms and most of our shooting didn't start till mid-day.

We shot the 300+ pigeons and 70 odd crows on stubble (just been combined for silage).

Then we had 2 days on Blown Barley and this weekend on Blown Wheat.

We shot in red hot sun,no wind last week.

Sunday was the windiest day and the birds were "shifting" but turning into our patterns luvverly.

Our patterns are "The LUNG" or the good old horsehoe with a variation depending on wind direction (if any)

Dave K

well done topgunner like the old saying goes you only get out what you put in . ps do you do any work?

You certainly don't get shooting like this by just dropping lucky, and

Yes. I work full time as a service engineer.

Wish I didn't.

:good::good:

More time for shootiing then.

And we thank you ALL for your comments.

Dave K

Thats great shooting but its just as well we areant all that good ie 100,000 estimated pigeon shooters in the UK and if they all got 1,316 in a year (never mind 2 weeks), that would just about wipe out the pigeon population in the UK (as happened to the Passenger Pigeon in the USA). I dont want to rain on anyones parade, or be acused of sour grapes but lets all remember that even the humble wood pigeon can be 'shoot out' if hammered enough, yes? Axel.

Nice post Dave- ( topgunners ) if any ones wondering who the terry guy is its me :good: , william is my lads name me and dave and the rest of our crew will be out this weekend too hope fully doing half as well would be a :good: bonus. How are the rest of you lot doing what's your plans for the weekend? Terry :good:

Thats great shooting but its just as well we areant all that good ie 100,000 estimated pigeon shooters in the UK and if they all got 1,316 in a year (never mind 2 weeks), that would just about wipe out the pigeon population in the UK (as happened to the Passenger Pigeon in the USA). I dont want to rain on anyones parade, or be acused of sour grapes but lets all remember that even the humble wood pigeon can be 'shoot out' if hammered enough, yes? Axel.

I doubt it Axel. They breed like rats, flying rats obviously :good:

LB

sound slike you had a cracking time on the days , well done indeed ( may i ask what you did with all the pigeons )

cheers

ed

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO INCLUDE TYPES OF DOGS TO PACIFY THE LIKES OF SCOLOPAX & JOHN5

We save 2-3 dozen for decoying in the freezer.

I will breast and freeze a load for my casseroles/flasks.

I have a load of "old boys/girls" up the club that love to eat them.

Friends who have dogs(Lurchers and greyhounds); that we drop a load round to and what is left are dropped into piles at a couple of landfill/quarry sites that I have permission on .

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

and then we go back late at night and shoot the "BASIL'S" with the rifles.

Dave K

I cannot believe I have just read that.!!! :good:

If you can't find a home for them don't shoot them, I do not regard dog food as a fitting end use for woodpigeons.

I was pleased you were getting those good bags, maybe more than I would personally shoot but each to his own etc. But to then read that you are dumping part of the bag really does form an opinion that you are shooting too many.

There must be gamedealers or butchers who will take those extra birds off you, rather then let them rot away in a pit some where.

Guest john5
I cannot believe I have just read that.!!! :no:

If you can't find a home for them don't shoot them, I do not regard dog food as a fitting end use for woodpigeons.

I was pleased you were getting those good bags, maybe more than I would personally shoot but each to his own etc. But to then read that you are dumping part of the bag really does form an opinion that you are shooting too many.

There must be gamedealers or butchers who will take those extra birds off you, rather then let them rot away in a pit some where.

yep i agree with you mate,.shooting big numbers just to look good , does not do the sport any good at all, next it will come under tighter restrictions and pigeons will be removed from the general liecence, still if you are just doing it to "impress" by posting on a public forum , what the hell ....................

True..................shoot what you need........(when shooting for food.........)

Big bags are good, if you make use of them. By sharing, giving or selling them on...

Vermin control is another question though.................If they are there in numbers an are causing that much damage then they need to be got rid of.....

You must have a big freezer....................

I cannot believe I have just read that.!!! :good:

Obviously scolopax you did not read the post PROPERLY.

MOST of the birds we shoot are put to a good cause and what is left are NOT just dumped in a pit to rot.,

BUT if you read my comment. " THEY ARE LEFT IN TWO PILES TO ATTRACT THE FOXES,SO WE CAN CARRY OUT PROPER PEST CONTROL ON ALL OF OUR PERMISSIONS AND NOTHING BETTER,(BAR RABBIT) TO ATTRACT THE FOXES WITHIN RANGE."

So until you know the TRUE meaning of the words PEST CONTROL and not just Pigeon Shooting I suggest you SHUT THOSE GREEN EYES of yours as they are dazzling me.

And we will carry out our task/s as requested by the farmer/s .

As I am pretty sure if we packed up after shooting 20 or 30 birds by 9.00am and the Farmer saw the birds "BATTERING" his crop for the rest of the day . HE WOULD BE NONE TOO PLEASED.

Dave K

I cannot believe I have just read that.!!! :lol:

I was pleased you were getting those good bags, maybe more than I would personally shoot but each to his own etc. But to then read that you are dumping part of the bag really does form an opinion that you are

shooting too many.

yep i agree with you mate,.shooting big numbers just to look good , does not do the sport any good at all, next it will come under tighter restrictions and pigeons will be removed from the general liecence, still if you are just doing it to "impress" by posting on a public forum , what the hell ....................

John 5 . I will comment on your addition as well.

We DO NOT shoot big numbers "just to look good" or impress a Forum as you said.

BUT we shoot BIG numbers because we are EXPERTS at our job, AND we put in a lot of HARD WORK, MILES,and EXPENSE.

Do you have any idea what it is like to BUY 2,000 cartridges and are running out in a FORTNIGHT.:lol:?:lol:?:lol:?:lol:?

And most importantly; we have years of experience and field-craft to acquire these BIG BAGS.

And i will Trumpet%20smile.gif .JUST for you.!!!!!!

This is a PIGEON FORUM and I have inputted hundreds of hours to this FORUM, assisting members who are new to the "GAME", or are having a lean time (just like we do on MANY occasions), also revealing some of our "secrets" when requested and most of all INVITED members on to our shoots and given them a good days pigeon shooting. ERNYHA(R.I.P), LB, NTTF to name some of the PRIVILIGED FEW.

So when we do have a good day we are pleased to talk about it and also to assist members directly/indirectly to achieving bigger bags themselves by taking heed of what is required and not to get despondent.

I also spent the last 4 years driving round knocking doors DAILY to acquire these permissions and that is why we have a combined acreage of 18,000 acres in 3 COUNTIES.

And the ONLY people we are concerned with IMPRESSING; is the FARMERS.

It is not our fault that some of the members;on this forum or others, can only dream Sleeping%20cap%20smile%20-%20animated.gifof the "PURPLE DAYS" that we achieve, but that is life.

And I wondered when the "Green eyes of Jealousy" :D:D:lol: would rear it's ugly head but I DON'T CARE and neither do the rest of the CREW and take great umbrance on PETTY COMMENTS like yours and others.

:) :o :o

WHAT EVER TURNS YOU ON.

So enjoy your day(s) out shooting pigeons for SPORT and we will carry out our PEST CONTROL as PROFESSIONALLY as we can, and do.

Dave K