What a weekend - 611 pigeons

Topgunners

Thats great shooting but its just as well we areant all that good ie 100,000 estimated pigeon shooters in the UK and if they all got 1,316 in a year (never mind 2 weeks), that would just about wipe out the pigeon population in the UK (as happened to the Passenger Pigeon in the USA). I dont want to rain on anyones parade, or be acused of sour grapes but lets all remember that even the humble wood pigeon can be 'shoot out' if hammered enough, yes? Axel.

I doubt it Axel. They breed like rats, flying rats obviously :good:

LB

Yes, I'm sure you're right but I do get a bit concerned when on the one hand, there's the pro pigeon shooters hitting them non-stop, plus others who obviously know what they're doing and also getting regular big bags. I just wonder how long we can carry on getting them in these numbers, thats all. PS Got 30 on some swathed OSR Wednesday, which was enough for my freezer but boy, was it hot!! Cheers, Axel

LB

Yes, I'm sure you're right but I do get a bit concerned when on the one hand, there's the pro pigeon shooters hitting them non-stop, plus others who obviously know what they're doing and also getting regular big bags. I just wonder how long we can carry on getting them in these numbers, thats all. PS Got 30 on some swathed OSR Wednesday, which was enough for my freezer but boy, was it hot!! Cheers, Axel

You have 30 more than me then Axel :good:

LB

well said topgunners.keep up the good work. theres always 1 or 2 everywhere you go.

as vim or jordan would say. you are the one of the few that can actually walk the walk as well as talk the talk :good:

Thank you vert. your comment is much appreciated.

:good::D:D

Dave K

I did read your post TG, two or three times to make sure I could establish the facts as far as stated.

My point was that I believe wood pigeon deserve better than to be relegated to dog food and much better than to be dumped in a pit. Whether you justify this by stating it is for attracting foxes or not this is still dumping in my opinion. Admittedly you have not said how many you disposed of in this manner but I would guess from the bags you have been accounting for it is quite a few. If you fill your freezer with pigeon breasts why not use the remains of these birds as your fox bait and take the rest to a game dealer?

Its easy to dismiss any critical postings as jealousy TG but I imagine quite a few others were thinking the same as myself. Some of us think of the woodpigeon as a sporting quarry that deserves a bit of respect in death as well as life.

Guest john5

so you think that you are the only one to buy cartridges in large numbers, your not that unique, neither do i go "dumping" pigeons in what amounts to be a stink bed to attract ground vermin, an act that is illeagal , neither do i post such flagrant acts , as i have sujested before on this forum but it falls on deaf ears , this forum is monitored by DEFRA and other protectionist bodies, acts like yours accompanied by your writings will get pigeon shooting banned, or at the least resticted ,. as i have already said , and you have just reinforced by your graphics, you do it to "blow your own trumpet".

so you think that you are the only one to buy cartridges in large numbers, your not that unique, neither do i go "dumping" pigeons in what amounts to be a stink bed to attract ground vermin, an act that is illeagal , neither do i post such flagrant acts , as i have sujested before on this forum but it falls on deaf ears , this forum is monitored by DEFRA and other protectionist bodies, acts like yours accompanied by your writings will get pigeon shooting banned, or at the least resticted ,. as i have already said , and you have just reinforced by your graphics, you do it to "blow your own trumpet".

Man has a point! Defra can easily cut our strings! :good::good::D

the pigeon is a pest, if they are present in numbers large enough to get a bag of this size then they will be posing a serious problem to the farmer.

Yes they deserve respect, but i personally feel a great amount of respect for any animal taken for sport or vermin control. You have either spent the time to stake out the land or watch flight lines, spent lots of money on equipment, and all of this goes towards trying (and often failing) to outsmart your quarry.

So by shooting a good bag like TG has managed is not disrespecting to the pigeon, he is simply doing a job, and on this occasion the hours of hard work and hundreds of pounds paid off and he was able to do the farmer a serious favour and enjoy some stunning sport (you have to remember they dont just die.... they still have to be decoyed and then shot)

dog food in my mind is also a very valid use for the pigeon or any animal, it is feeding another animal and is a damnside more right than feeding your dog tined food made of basically the same animal.

I might not personally have a use for this number of pigeon

However i know enough people, game dealers etc... that all of them could be put to use.

Would i stop if i was on for a day like topgunners has had recently. Hell no! i'm only human, i enjoy shooting, and animals being killed is all part of that and i enjoy it.

sorry if you find this offensive or disrespecting to pigeons, but its my personal opinion.

However dumping is wrong, the pigeon deserves to be put to use, even if it is bait.

Pack it in you lot :good:

We are all jealous of what the Topgunners can achieve a regular basis.

I was very fortunate enough to shoot with them a few weeks ago for which I am very gratefull, cheers lads :good: .

The birds came in with near suicidal tendencies and I was allowed, no, encouraged to take all the shots I wanted and have never shot so many corvids as I did that day.

When I missed (which was quite often) Dave nailed them with ease.

They do the reconnasense, get the results and most importantly, keep the landowners happy.

If I had their skills I would be a very happy shooter.

The suggestion that pigeon may be to good for dog food is bordering on the ridiculous.

LB with 4 pigeon eating dogs.

Pack it in you lot :unsure:

We are all jealous of what the Topgunners can achieve a regular basis.

I was very fortunate enough to shoot with them a few weeks ago for which I am very gratefull, cheers lads ;) .

The birds came in with near suicidal tendencies and I was allowed, no, encouraged to take all the shots I wanted and have never shot so many corvids as I did that day.

When I missed (which was quite often) Dave nailed them with ease.

They do the reconnasense, get the results and most importantly, keep the landowners happy.

If I had their skills I would be a very happy shooter.

The suggestion that pigeon may be to good for dog food is bordering on the ridiculous.

LB with 4 pigeon eating dogs.

:good:

Topgunner (and a few others on here) has permission to shoot over some good agricultural land, as such, a lot of us envy him and his friends.

They have an obligation to the Farmers to protect the crops from an agricultural pest (the wood pigeon).

If they don't do the "job", they would/could lose their permissions.

Try telling the Farmer that you are packing up early, as you have shot enough to feed your friends and relatives.

Or, you won't be shooting today, because nobody wants any wood pigeons.

Those of us that shoot regularly, always end up with surplus birds, I pick through mine carefully discarding the hard shot, but keeping some for the rotary/bouncer/floater, some for the freezer and friends, some for the Dealer and anything left (including other feathered vermin), are buried.

I agree with anyone who says the wood pigeon provides some good sporting shooting, I also show it respect by despatching wounded birds immediately, but it is probably the biggest agricultural pest in this country, which is why its covered by the General Licence.

Lets just accept that any group with a common interest, are still going to have different views on certain aspects.

Thats fine, but lets not berate anyone that doesn't agree whole heartedly with our opinion.

Sometimes, if you can't think of anything nice to say, its best to say nothing.

Topgunner (and a few others on here) has permission to shoot over some good agricultural land, as such, a lot of us envy him and his friends.

They have an obligation to the Farmers to protect the crops from an agricultural pest (the wood pigeon).

If they don't do the "job", they would/could lose their permissions.

Try telling the Farmer that you are packing up early, as you have shot enough to feed your friends and relatives.

Or, you won't be shooting today, because nobody wants any wood pigeons.

Those of us that shoot regularly, always end up with surplus birds, I pick through mine carefully discarding the hard shot, but keeping some for the rotary/bouncer/floater, some for the freezer and friends, some for the Dealer and anything left (including other feathered vermin), are buried.

I agree with anyone who says the wood pigeon provides some good sporting shooting, I also show it respect by despatching wounded birds immediately, but it is probably the biggest agricultural pest in this country, which is why its covered by the General Licence.

Lets just accept that any group with a common interest, are still going to have different views on certain aspects.

Thats fine, but lets not berate anyone that doesn't agree whole heartedly with our opinion.

Sometimes, if you can't think of anything nice to say, its best to say nothing.

that about sums it up :unsure:

Topgunners

do you have any photo`s of these BIG bags you are getting

id love to see

post-11-1129534479.jpg

IMG_0246_editedcopy.jpg

and this is where we are probably shooting on this weekend. 2 x permissions with fresh combined barley, swaffed rape and combined turnips. Went for a reccy this evening and the pigeons are hitting it already.

Shooting5004.jpg

Shooting5003.jpg

I will be out about 04.30am tomorrow morning shooting Corvids for another farmer with a problem. Then move onto one of the above.

Dave K

dave keep doing what you do mate ******** to every one else think,s

it's a job thats got to be done .

love to of got together with the crew but mile,s apart mate will make it impossible ( not had a invite i know )

big bag for me comming soon :unsure:

The guy in the middle in the top pic is good looking but the one in the middle of the second pic doesn't look like a very good shot. :unsure: ;):good::sly:

NTTF

P.S.

Dont tell him I said that Dave :o :o :o as I am sure he plans on backing me up when I get there....that is if he lets me have a shot at all :yes::lol::lol::no:

NTTF

That's you relegated to humping all the tackle.

:P:);):D :o

Dave K

The guy in the middle in the top pic is good looking but the one in the middle of the second pic doesn't look like a very good shot. :good::good::lol::lol:

NTTF

P.S.

Dont tell him I said that Dave :lol::lol::lol: as I am sure he plans on backing me up when I get there....that is if he lets me have a shot at all :lol::no::/:/

NTTF

That's you relegated to humping all the tackle.

:/:/:/:lol::lol:

Dave K

and I don't just mean the pigeon cradles.

:lol::lol:

Dave K

Personally I think Topgunners put his case very well. It's always easy to criticize the professionals and perhaps those who do it for fun rather than a living should think again. Woody is now officially the most common bird in the UK and IS classed as the biggest agricultural pest AND shooting has always been the only effective means of control. Each to his own but remember the old maxim...united we stand, divided we fall and shooting Woody is possibly more easily justified as a pest control method than a sport!

Dumping of dead birds is not on but then again how many people who shoot actually eat their quarry? Certainly not many in this country which is why most of the birds handled by the game dealers end up on the continent OR in pet food!

Think the full picture before you rant on!

• 2 weeks later...
Personally I think Topgunners put his case very well. It's always easy to criticize the professionals and perhaps those who do it for fun rather than a living should think again. Woody is now officially the most common bird in the UK and IS classed as the biggest agricultural pest AND shooting has always been the only effective means of control. Each to his own but remember the old maxim...united we stand, divided we fall and shooting Woody is possibly more easily justified as a pest control method than a sport!

Dumping of dead birds is not on but then again how many people who shoot actually eat their quarry? Certainly not many in this country which is why most of the birds handled by the game dealers end up on the continent OR in pet food!

Think the full picture before you rant on!

Thank you Highlander.

Dave K

For what its worth I take my hat off to you guys, you do what you do very well, its clear at no small expense of effort or cash to yourselves.

Getting that ammount of land and keeping the owners happy is no small feat!

To those who moan about taking too many, well, the DEFRA licence on the matter doesn't say anything about what you do with the birds (pigeon be it ferral or wood). If you are there to control a pest then you do it very well, if you are there for sport then good on you. You don't make any attempt to lie like many would and say they all get used which would be easily done, you have the required minerals to tell it like it is.

You show the due respect to your quarry, good ammo, kit and you don't shoot that number of pigeon being a bad shot!

To those that are moaning, well, what do we humans do with our dead? Hmm? Burn it or bury it in the gound to rot. To say that due respect is not being paid is just wrong.

Hats off to you guys, well done and keep it up!

Dave

I hope your going to put all those corvids your going to shoot to good use, send a few down to the old folks home, pass on a few to friends & family, sell a few to the game dealer.

Keep up the good work :no:

SS

:D:lol::lol:

We gladly give them free to the "BOZZIES".

ONLY !!!!!!!!!

Dave K