**Fuel Strike ** scare tactics already

huntsman

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find that the average salary for such a driver is way less than that figure which has been quoted for a guy working virtually around the clock.

The strike is not about Fuel prices its about pay and conditions, particularly health and safety issues.

Fuel prices are high due to government duty and VAT and thats the way they are going to stay...In fact a bit of research will reveal that we are not paying too much more per mile now than when I got my first sub 20mpg car back in the 70,s. Its incumbant on manufacturers to make vehicles even more fuel efficient and generally thats what they are doing because they realise that the real problem is the dwindling resource.

I have noticed however that even by hiking fuel costs it doesnt stop drivers from going everywhere at 100 miles an hour, or mothers walking there kids a short journey to school or even a fat lazy *** like me driving for a paper when I should be walking.!

With a little bit of sacrifice and effort its amazing how we can all reduce our fuel useage dramatically.

Alcohol fueled cars are the way forward, its easy to produce and would be realatively cheap produced in volume.

I work in this industry (not a tanker driver). The issue is NOT about health and safety...... all the big companies are top notch on this. There may be one or two smaller ones a bit dodgy (most of them are very good too though) and the odd daft driver. Anybody who trots this one out is either VERY misguided or daft

But clearly it won't be a cracking salary if the management have their way :rolleyes:

The executives in the company will no doubt be on large salaries (probably a bonus as well if they reduce the T&C of the drivers), the working class drivers have their T&C eroded whilst other working class people cheer on with "greedy drivers" or "man up" or "they need to wake up" pretty much doing the managements work for them. You couldn't make it up.....working class people helping to drive their fellow working class colleagues salaries down. It's amusing to watch from the sidelines...... :lol:

think you need to listen to yourself. I'm all for people earning a decent wage (& 45k is) but dont trot out this working class ****........... its offensive to everybody.

I think that's a big exageration Mark, as i said in one of my earlier posts, as a whole we have never had it so good over the last few years and the birds have come home to roost.

What we are not seeing is a huge amount of growth. Why do the kids have nothing to aim for?. They said the same when i left school in 1983 and i think since then i have spent 3 months in total out of work.

BTW i lef with one "o" level in geography :oops: DOH!

Let's not over egg the pudding here, times are tough but we are not on the edge yet. It is being used by some as an excuse for social unrest though.

Ah the good old class system again. When the drivers start to take the same level of decisions and have the same level of experience as the board members then perhaps they will pay them as much.

I'm sure a young chap will look at the tanker drivers salaries in the same way. It's all relevant .

My late father in law was finance director at Asda and was working class- his father was an engine driver on the railways so doesn't that rather blow your class theory out of the water dear boy.

I don't think it does blow my theory out the water old boy :P in fact I think you're getting a tad confused keggy :lol:

Let me explain it for you. Disregarding the execs bonuses I'll wager £20 that the execs won't be taking any form of cut whilst the people below them do. So I can't quite understand your comment about "same level of decisions blah blah blah pay them as much. That has no context here....AFAIK the drivers aren't looking at the execs salaries and wanting to be paid that much, merely protecting what they earn. However there seem to be a hardcore few on here that are cheering the tanker drivers demise. That young man may indeed look at the tanker drivers salary and think "ooh that's a lot of money, I'll do it for half that" but the young man should always remember there'll be someone who'll do it cheaper than him and where do you stop? There seems to be a market trend for companies and senior execs to be raking it in yet the employees are getting poorer and poorer. What amazes me is that the employees are letting it happen. In my company we made 1/4 of a billion profit this year, profit! £10m was the bonus pot for the 8 senior execs. However the company cannot afford to give their staff a pay freeze, let alone a rise! Instead a pay cut is in the offing.

Good for your Uncle but I didn't mean "working class" as being a particular "class" in society, more the fact they work for a living and not on popstar wages. By that definition (public school/uni/job) I'd even class myself as working class (perish the thought :P <- SARCASM ALERT before the abuse starts).

think you need to listen to yourself. I'm all for people earning a decent wage (& 45k is) but dont trot out this working class ****........... its offensive to everybody.

Depends what the definition of Working Class is......

Edited by Laird Lugton

Sadly i am also public school, just missed the uni bit out as i left at 16, worked 720 hours a week on a farm then a YTS scheme and got up afore a went t'bed. Lived in cardboard box in't middle of the M1

Working class in the old and true sense is somone who is in a blue collar role not covered by the professions or clergy i believe.

Sadly i have to agree with your point about having somone who will do it for a lower cost. We know the price of everything now in this country but the value of nothing.

My point about the pressures and decisions taken at a senior level are based on what i saw my father in law go through and perhaps it i sdifferent now but back in the 80s, the staff did come first.

We do try and squeeze the last drop of profit out of everything. Can i ask what level of turnover created the 250 mill profit?.

Sadly i am also public school, just missed the uni bit out as i left at 16, worked 720 hours a week on a farm then a YTS scheme and got up afore a went t'bed. Lived in cardboard box in't middle of the M1

Working class in the old and true sense is somone who is in a blue collar role not covered by the professions or clergy i believe.

Sadly i have to agree with your point about having somone who will do it for a lower cost. We know the price of everything now in this country but the value of nothing.

My point about the pressures and decisions taken at a senior level are based on what i saw my father in law go through and perhaps it i sdifferent now but back in the 80s, the staff did come first.

We do try and squeeze the last drop of profit out of everything. Can i ask what level of turnover created the 250 mill profit?.

There was a very interesting article in the economist a few years ago which sadly I can no longer find online. The summary was that over the last 20 odd years executives whose bonuses are aligned with shareholders interests are taking an increasingly larger share of company profit at the expense of the other staff. The capitalism we used to have has been replaced by a very greedy type which as you say sees the employee as just another cost that should be squeezed as much as possible in order to return value to shareholders. Your comments on cost and value are very true.

Using the above theory as a basis for the tanker drivers I'm amazed some people on here are cheering for the tankers drivers to be screwed over.....because it'll be coming for them at some point....

I'd have to look at the company accounts to tell you the turnover, if I get a chance I'll look. What I can tell you is that the profits are record breaking, bonuses all round for the 8.....

I liked the way the fuel strikes kicked the Labour Government in the backside . This lot need the same x 10 because it is destroying the country . You can say all you want about it being down to the last lot but they can only extract so much from us to make up . I think it is blatantly obvious whose interests are at Camerons' heart and it is none of you folks . Even the ardent Tories who comprise the majority on here .

Ah, you noticed.... :lol:

I'm sure if you look there'll be a thread on here somewhere justifying the 45% top rate tax as well. As usual the ones that get us in the **** walk away and make more money from the misery they've caused and the rest of us get screwed. And before you all tell me I'm a communist, I am a top rate tax payer.

fuel-532_1478348a.jpg

Rediculous,People must think they have to brim up I had to wait 2 hours last night, just to get some fuel

what aload of ********

SNN2704NEW-_1478558a.jpg

funny enough the local asda has shut it's petrol station as there is no fuel left and the local sainsurys petrol station there queing down the road to get in to, well dont get paid til weekend so will wait until pay day to fill up as i normally do, if there is none left then tuff

Just filled my Disco up to the brim :yes: , and an extra 100 litres in 4 x 25 litres containers, and I will be filling up every couple of days, I am not panic :P buying, :D just calmly anticipating a repeat of 2000 :look: and putting things inplace to prevent the same situation that I was in then :lol:

Ive just filled up my van with 65 litres derv plus 40 litres of unnleaded for the machines in jerrys and a further jerry can of Derv about to fill my spare van up also.

Panic buying maybee but as im selfemployed, no fuel equals no work.

I have to admit I filled up early today, my tank said 160 miles left and I had 240 to go, but the tesco I had called into already had massive queues at the filling station so i filled up at the next station along, it was a couple of pence more expensive but there was no way i was getting caught on the motorway and paying 10p /litre more. I got caught 12 months or more ago and had to pay 1.42/litre at Hilton services - work car and fuel but I don't take kindly to being asked to bend over and accept a shafting!

Oh what a bunch of imbecilic lemmings this countries drivers are....any fuel shortages will be caused by panic and indescriminate buying by the public not by a tanker drivers strike.. The Government has already announced that the Army will step in to drive tankers...my Nephew in the RTC has already been briefed and he reckons they could actually improve the distribution with the equipment they have at their disposal....and if there is an embargo of the refiners would soon clear the trucks away with a few 100t dozers

Just buy in the normal way and stop cocking it up for the rest of us... :mad: