FAC application stumbling block

Hi all

today I have had my visit from a firearms licensing enquiry officer for my FAC airgun application. My gun safe and security is fine, and the interview the went well. I have allready had my shotgun certificate for a few years and have been using sub 12 airguns for years too, but for my application to be complete I must have a FAC holder vouch for me in that I am a safe and responsible shooter.

I have a fair bit of experience with .22 LR from when I used to shoot with my shooting partner before he passed away, who was happy to vouch for me when we talked about me applying for FAC air. Since he sadly passed away I dont know any FAC holders who could do this for me now.

During the interview I explained all this to the licensing officer and he said if another FAC holder could take me out and then vouch if in there opinion I am safe and responsible then this would rectify the situation and my certificate would be granted,

I am a reasonably new pw member but now comes the cheeky part :rolleyes: ...

Is there anyone who could help me overcome this stumbling block? if someone could take me out I would massively appriciate this and would pay for rounds (or pellets if FAC air) and use my car or pay fuel ect. and if theres anything I could do in return (few beers or an odd job ect.) I would do no problem!

I live in west yorkshire and drive so I am willing to travel a fair distance to anyone who is able to help me with this, its a bit of a long shot I know but if it helps me with my application then its well worth a try :)

many thanks.

It's common though I've never heard of it for air rifles, but I know a couple of people in West Yorkshire that needed somebody to recommend them to get a .22.

I expect someone local will be able to help you without travelling too far - where in West Yorkshire are you?

Edited by bedwards1966

It's a mentoring condition. quite common, I have had to vouch for someone before.

Hi artschool, thats what he mentioned. The FLO said as I have have experience using a .22 lr before with my friend he said one outing would be fine :good:

It's common though I've never heard of it for air rifles, but I know a couple of people in West Yorkshire that needed somebody to recommend them to get a .22.

I expect someone local will be able to help you without travelling too far - where in West Yorkshire are you?

Hi bedwards1966 im in Morley, Leeds.

For fac do you not need land to shoot over? If you want a bit of help just say you will be happy to have them shoot over your land not theirs for a day or two in return, that way you are exchanging something at the same time.

Just a thought,,,,

im sure that would not be a problem, but the land is been checked soon. the land would be fine for this im sure :good:

pending someone with an open FAC I think?

Edited by archiebald

• 2 weeks later...

I can help out in Wakefield although technically speaking they have told you to break the law? It might be my imagination but over land you can only use the landowners or lesse'e firearm in their presence?

Occupiers or servant of occupiers rifle. It was worded like that in the 1988 Act in order that Douglass Hogg could carry on his previous unlawful activity of shooting deer at his mates land.

J.

Strange. This happened to me today, got a call from my FEO asking for someone to vouch for me. Gutted as I don't know any rifle shooters...... I have also posted a thread in relation to the same issue.

Join SACS and phone the office 01698 885206 we will soon get you sorted but remember WEEGIES RULE :yp:

I am sadly in the same position and need someone who is prepared to vouch that I am a safe and competent shot in order to gain my FAC for a .22LR,

My "Mentor" would need to send a letter to the FEO stating that he had assessed me on several occasions whilst hunting and that without prompting I could distinguish between a safe and unsafe shot. Also that I had shot X amount of rabbits on these shooting forays.

I believe that I can accompany my mentor and use his rifle for him to make this judgement, then I could gain my FAC without restriction. Obviously I am looking for someone nearby and would of course meet any costs incurred etc.

So anyone around the Bicester area of Oxfordshire willing to help, then please get in touch

Regards

John

Am I reading this right. Applicants being required to go through mentoring BEFORE they are granted a fac.

This is becoming quite ridiculous. I can just about stomach mentoring conditions, following grant, in exceptional situations but before grant is ludicrous.

Easy for me to say but I would tell them no way, process my application as it stands. The police have no basis in law to insist on such nonsense.

This needs reporting to BASC, CA, SACS and the NGO.