17hmr or 22lr

marinejim_165

not sure whether this has been discussed before but i was wondering what people prefer 17hmr or 22lr. I no what the differences are on paper and have used a 22lr to great effect i just have a slot for 22lr and 17hmr on my ticket. just wondered what people think of the 17hmr compared to the 22 or if any body wants to let me come out with them in exeter to see a 17hmr in action that would be most appreciable.

cheers James

Edited by marinejim_165

It's a commonly asked question on here, a search will reveal plenty of answers.

Really it's down to the shooter and the land and the ranges it's used at.

A .22lr is great up to about 80 - 100 yards, after that the trajectory is too poor for regular shots at further distances, whereas the .17HMR is flat to about 150, usable to about 200.

.22's are highly prone to ricochet off hard land, stone, water etc which can make it unsuitable for some land, a .17HMR can still ricochet but it's much less likely and therefore safer in come circumstances.

.22's are very quiet in operation with a moderator and subsonic ammunition, the loudest sound is the bullet impacting, followed by the noise of the firing pin striking. A .17HMR has a loud crack, people have different experiences as some find the crack of the .17 to scare prey away where a .22 doesn't disturb them, some find they bolt when they hear a bullet striking their mate but the crack of a supersonic rounds confuses them.

A .17HMR has many advantages over a .22, but the .22 is a great little round and not to be underestimated, and the fact that the ammo is a fraction of the price of a .17HMR is a very nice bonus.

Well here is my experience, although only limited.

I have both on my ticket too, only had ticket 2 weeks. Also got granted .223. My good mate the farmer swears by his hmr, nice range, flat shooting etc etc. Another mate did have both the 22lr and the hmr. I've shot both bur he sold the hmr in the end to fund centrefire. Still has the lr as it's so cheap to use and very quiet.

Another good mate, who is on here, Si-bore has a 22lr also, along with his infamous centre fire 17rem for his crazy long shots.

I plumbed for the 22lr in the end and got a lovely nearly new silhouette CZ, mod and a cracking scope. Rounds wise I paid £40 for 500 Winny Subs. It's great to shoot, ok the range isn't great but tonight I went out and got a pigeon and a rabbit.

For the price of a hmr rifle, and the cost of the rounds you are not far off centre fire territory, which will blow a hmr out of the water.

Jonathan

Each will do the job it all boils down to the land you have as to which calibre to get.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

One isn't better than the other, they are different, you need what best suits the land/quarry, I have 8 different FAC tools for different jobs, situations, etc, none is "better" than the other, they are simply different.

People so often associate/suggest more power = Better :no::no: ..... different uses :yes::yes:

Edited by Dekers

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

One isn't better than the other, they are different, you need what best suits the land/quarry, I have 8 different FAC tools for different jobs, situations, etc, none is "better" than the other, they are simply different.

People so often associate/suggest more power = Better :no::no: ..... different uses :yes::yes:

Totally agree. Like all rifles, it's like asking, what's the best spanner, 14mm or 19mm? They're just different for different jobs.

i was out yesterday on a little place which has holiday homes on it and i shoot the rabbits in between the homes with 22lr and the adjoining fields with hmr so i go around with both guns ready to swap at a moments notice depending on the shot... had 33 in couple of hours

they both have a job to do but i tend to shoot more on the 22 than the 17

if you look at the facts its less affected by wind than the .22lr at a given distance. Basically if its pretty windy we just limit shots to sub 100 yards and leave the longer ones for a still evening.

Wind has only been a factor with the hmr due to the longer shots that are easy with it in the right conditions,

Effectively its flat from 25 to 125 yards the .22lr you are factoring serious drop between those ranges, not such a factor in daylight but under the lamp its far easier to just have something you point and shoot. Rather than range finder out ballistics tables out dial it in and oh ****** the rabbits got bored and moved ;)

Got a 17hmr and share a .22 Use them both mainly for lamping rabbits off a truck and the 17 for crows. For lamping we generally have both out at the same time. I use the 17 my mate uses the 22 I go for the long range ones he does the short. Setup works really well for us regularly get 40-50 in a night, all headshots. I prefer the 17 mainly because I have a lot of confidence in it. Some places we shoot the bunnies are rather flinchy and don't sit still for long, you know with the 17 its there as soon as you pull the trigger. With the .22 they sometimes dodge the bullet. As far as windage the 17hmr shifts a fair bit but I think .22 sub sonic is as affected if not more at long range (that cud start an argument!) Only 2 disadvantages with the 17hmr, noise and cost of shells.