Bulged .22lr barrel

Big Dog

Guys I seems to have developed a problem, maybe even just today. Was at the range this morning with my son where we had a great time shooting my .22lr, .222 and 6.5x55. We came home and I started the task of cleaning. I noted as the put the jab down the .22lr barrel there seen to be a free section, like as if you had exited the barrel but then it would tigthen again like the rest of the barrel, it was a 1 1/2 section. I check the outside of the barrel and oh no! there is a bulge in it.

The rifle is Ruger bolt action I think is 77/22 or something like that in stainless.

The only think I am aware of that could do that is to fire a shot without cleaning out any previous oil.

What do you think, is there other reasons?????????

Big Dog

I can't see oil residue would cause it to bulge, I'd say it would have to be a decent blockage. Any chance it could have got some dirt/mud stuck in the barrel, or any rounds fired that sounded different, possibly leaving a bullet lodged in the barrel?

Just be glad it hasn't gone bang anyway, I don't think there is likely to be any way of mending it, probably new barrel time.

Edited by bedwards1966

The gun is scrap because it will be a lot cheaper to buy a new one than it will to re-barrel it. :no::no:

Oil can cause a bulge in a rifle barrel, but I suspect a bit of patch was left in there.

Your only real option is to hand it in (minus the stock, trigger unit etc) and apply for a 1-4-1 for another .22rf.

G.M.

Almost certainly a bullet stuck up the tube, probably a round with just the primer giving it enough umph to get it started. It depends how far up the barrel the bulge is. If it is well up the barrel then it would be an easy job to chop it off, thread it and re-crown it. A .22 rifle will shoot perfectly accurately with quite a short barrel and if it looks a bit odd you could always fit a shroud or moderator.

I'm sure there are many .22 rimmys being used every day with bulged barrels with no problems. The only reason you knew was because you did the unspeakable thing and poked a rod through it. :o

It could have been caused by oil or water in the barrel ,causing a ring bulge . This happens when a bullet is traveling down the barrel and there is oil or water on the walls of the barrel . Liquids are non compressible and the bullet will have to pass the liquid and will force the barrel out wards causing a ring bulge .

Harnser .

Almost certainly a bullet stuck up the tube, probably a round with just the primer giving it enough umph to get it started. It depends how far up the barrel the bulge is. If it is well up the barrel then it would be an easy job to chop it off, thread it and re-crown it. A .22 rifle will shoot perfectly accurately with quite a short barrel and if it looks a bit odd you could always fit a shroud or moderator.

I'm sure there are many .22 rimmys being used every day with bulged barrels with no problems. The only reason you knew was because you did the unspeakable thing and poked a rod through it. :o

If the barrel is bulged then it will then become an inherent weak spot and should not be fired under any circumstances . As you say if the bulge is well up the barrel it could be chopped out .

Harnser .

It was almost certainly a stuck bullet. My guess is it will be about 4-6" from the breech. Oil bulges happen with centrefires but not usually .22s. It is actually much more common than you think.

Loads of .22s espescially older ones have them. Most people don't even know they have one. Actually my advice is just carry on shooting the rifle, it wont make any difference and it won't be dangerous. I wouldn't say that for a shotgun or a c/f but a .22 is OK. You will have a problem when you come to sell it though.

On the other hand, replacement barrels for Rugers will be available if you talk to a proper gunsmith and not some toy town dealer. The stainless ones are $110.25 from Numrich in the States. (thats £70) The ordinary blued steel ones are $75 (thats about £50) Both are listed as out of stock at the moment but thats not unusual with Numrich. It doesn't mean they are not available.

Or one should be available from Viking Arms You can't order one but a gunsmith can. I would talk to Rimfire Magic about it. Its not very convenient for where you are but I would trust them to give you sensible answers.

All this talk of the rifle being scrap is not correct. Just carry on using it

Edited by Vince Green

I personally after checking out the suspected bulge would quite happily shoot it in .22 lr. If it still shoots ok keep it. Most barrels have tighter and slacker areas and even tightly lodged dirt can give faulse impressions on a buldge. When shortening a barrel a good smith should always check he aint about to cut it at a slack spot. Slugging the very well cleaned barrel will show how much and were, depth should be measured and confirmed with measuring the OD of the barrel wall around that point BTW

Guys thanks for all you comments. I will try the gun out agaon myself to see how it shoots. I will also look into replacing the barrel. I was thinking of changing it before this happened but I don't think I will now. I will let you know what become of this. Went to the pistol range today, took my daughter, we had a lot of fun, no worry about bulged barrels.

Update you soon :good:

I remember it well for 20+years ago. A remmy 527 pumper and fooling around with Russian shorts shooting from the hip, during the fast shooting failed to notice one round never left the barrel! The following shot pushed the lodged one out and sounded funny. Checking the barrel by holding it up to the light the sky's light did reveal a bulge in the shiny blueing.

I did not panic but got down to shoot some serious groups. I shot better groups with it!

I also just happened to read an article about the same time in an old magazine about a target shooter whome under different circumstances the same thing had happened and to his amazement his rifle then shot tighter groups!

You are correct to not to panic. Nothing is going to let go in your rifle due to a bulge! The tiny case rim would let go before any standard profile 22 barrel ever will.

Best wishes.

U.

A .22lr has relatively very little pressure, whatever round you fire. Bulges in barrels on these are rare, and will almost always relate to a blockage, but not even that is a sure way to bulge them.

Someone mentioned bulges on the Martini, well, many of these were "club" guns and neglected, but the barrels are so thick and heavy there would have to be some serious problems to screw them up, that's why they were a mainstay for so many years and why there are still so many about!

Just the same, a bulge on any barrel is a concern and a weaker spot!