Jubilee & 2012 in general

CZ550Kevlar

I was driving out through the villages and the sight of all the bunting and Union Jacks stirred something in me. I felt very very proud. Of what I don't know exactly but the eyes of the world will be on us the next few days and we'll show them our mettle.

God save the queen!

And Phil :good:

+1 oh and who's Phill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz8rHeJ3FAk

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ben is the name of the bell. The clock tower is the name of the tower.

I like the idea of Big Ben being inside Elizabeth's tower!

Do I have to leave now of apologise for causing others to go?

Lampy

It still makes little sense as everyone refers to the whole thing as big ben.

.... I'm still awaiting an apology ;)

You all assume it would be Blair as president or is it just blairmongering so we think better the devil we know than the devil we don't?

Such a shame Maggie is off her head? Now there would be a president to follow in the footsteps of the likes of J F Kennedy!

That, in a nutshell is all the justification we'll ever need for keeping our hereditary constitutional Monarchy.

The alternative is an elected president. Democratic elections are at best a formal agreement to disagree. By voting for one candidate you necessarily vote against another. Those who don't vote at all renounce their involvement in national affairs. My flesh creeps at the thought of a President Blair or a President Brown, others would be equally repulsed by a President Thatcher.

Politics has no stability or continuity and it divides people. The Monarchy is a symbol of what we have in common. And we can see that all over the country, in a sea of red white and blue.

I have nothing against the queen she seems like a nice person but I do have something very much against all of the hangers on lord this and lady that who get a title mostly for just doing there job or creeping up to politicians or singing/acting and all of them getting very well paid for doing it then we are expected to call the lord or lady snot bag this country will never change we are like the Koreans brainwashed in to thinking that these people have titles so they must be much better than us humble surfs.

I wouldn't say that I was "royalist" but I have nothing against the Royal Family and I agree that they do generate a lot of income for the country and of course I wish them well, but the wife has just come up with an interesting thought:

They have all of these Anti Terrorist Measures in place for the Olympics - Anti Aircraft Guns and Missiles, Snipers, etc: but what have they got in place for the Royal Family and the Jubillee Parades, nothing special that I have heard mentioned on the news?

Are our government saying that the Olympic Athletes are more important than the Royal Family?

Your thought gents?

Edited by Frenchieboy

How is it the country has gone mad with this jubilee things? i`m meant to be happy and celebrate the fact she has been in power or whatever it is for 60 years but i fail to see how or why i should be happy? personally speaking i couldn`t care less, is there anyone else that just wishes 2012 would be over with and roll on 2013 so that the Euro cup, olympics and jubilee will be done with.

I think when you get past a certain age it is very easy to be miserable and cynical about things that others see as jolly. I find myself changing and seeing things differently to what i used to. I think we have a tendency to overanalyse and and look for negativity instead of just smiling. I am with you on the olympics, to me just a load of rubbish that we cant afford, did you see the froggies laughing when we were awarded it? I read that the 1976 games in montreal have only just been paid off!!!

I am showing an interest in the jubilee and am looking forward to the euro's :good:

Big Ben is the name of the bell. The clock tower is the name of the tower.

I like the idea of Big Ben being inside Elizabeth's tower!

Do I have to leave now of apologise for causing others to go?

Lampy

Lampwick.

Quite right ..... The bell is .....Big Ben. ....The Tower is called ...St Stephens Tower. Why change it?

the queen has presided over one of the worst declines in British history. what has she got to be proud about.

and as for the ridiculous flotilla on the Thames, the real reason it's a bunch of small boats is because we don't have a navy large enough to be worth showing off.

and to top it all they name the new queens rowing boat the morning Gloriana.

they will watch round the world and laugh.

Lampwick.

Quite right ..... The bell is .....Big Ben. ....The Tower is called ...St Stephens Tower. Why change it?

Wrong....It's called 'The clock tower' and has never been known as St Stephens Tower...

St. Stephen's Tower is positioned in the middle of the west front of the Palace, between Westminster Hall and Old Palace Yard, and houses the public entrance to the Houses of Parliament

If they wanna change it's name,then let them....Who in our generation will call it Elizabeth tower...It'll always be known as Big Ben....

Good luck to them all this weekend...ill be at work tomorrow so wont be indulging...

Edited by smig4373

I wouldn't say that I was "royalist" but I have nothing against the Royal Family and I agree that they do generate a lot of income for the country and of course I wish them well, but the wife has just come up with an interesting thought:

They have all of these Anti Terrorist Measures in place for the Olympics - Anti Aircraft Guns and Missiles, Snipers, etc: but what have they got in place for the Royal Family and the Jubillee Parades, nothing special that I have heard mentioned on the news?

Are our government saying that the Olympic Athletes are more important than the Royal Family?

Your thought gents?

My partner and I said just this - this morning, while watching the news. Bit of an easy target and would make a massive trophy for the haters.

Surely there must be massive security in place that we just don't know about. The Protection Command, MI6/5, Queen's Guards and the army are all watching I would presume.

having served in the lifeguards (armoured), i see myself as a bit of a royalist and yes ive got the bunting and union flag up ithink people forget how much money the royals make for this country ,they are the basis for are tourism industry , having the queen as are figure head has given most servicemen a real moral boost in times of trouble and i for one still get the hairs on the back of my neck when the national anthem is played or i see a union flag, to some of us this means alot

we had party saturday glad as weather dont look to good at min ,ill give her maj a 100+ cartridge salute on mon/tues if all goes well lol

Gloriana+afloat.jpg

oh my god, I just read that the country has just spent ONE MILLION POUNDS building this rowing boat for the queen.

it looks completely retarded, it's like something from the wacky races or a flint stones car.

What`s the plan next? they going to row it over to the Falklands and use it as a naval patrol boat? or even better park a fighter on it and row past the Argentine coast?

Gloriana+afloat.jpg

oh my god, I just read that the country has just spent ONE MILLION POUNDS building this rowing boat for the queen.

it looks completely retarded, it's like something from the wacky races or a flint stones car.

It so does!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If Boyd Coddington made Queen boats that would be his vision.

Edited by ack-ack

It so does!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If Boyd Coddington made Queen boats that would be his vision.

It's absolutely fantastic it has a great story attached to it and will be a part of our heritage for many a year to come!

Jeeeeez I'm off and never coming back! Too many moaners!

Ps I'm six foot four twenty two stone and built like a brick S?();:432 so watch it!

Lampy

It's absolutely fantastic it has a great story attached to it and will be a part of our heritage for many a year to come!

Jeeeeez I'm off and never coming back! Too many moaners!

Ps I'm six foot four twenty two stone and built like a brick S?();:432 so watch it!

Lampy

fleet_2236926b.jpg

wrong, these pagents are meant to be a show of strength, something a strong man like yourself should appreciate.

historically the queen would be inspecting the fleet like in the photo above.

but we don't have a big enought navy without it looking embarrassing, so the best idea they could come up with was a stretched row boat.

I would prefer to see the queen on a state of the art naval destroyer paid for by the taxpayer.

Don't think the Queen can be held responsible for the decline of this country;the blame for this lies elsewhere and is many fold.The Queen is simply a figurehead,but a worthwhile one,and as has been said,in a widely disparate society such as ours,the only thing we have in common.I for one,am glad we have a Royal family,and although I'm not big on pomp and pageantry(though was very annoyed at the Bliar government when they did away with the Royal Military Tatoo)I regard them as something of a constant in a country which seems to have lost it's way.

To be honest,I'll bet the Royal flotilla will be something to see and remember,but I wouldn't make an effort to see it any more than I will to see the Olympic torch when it comes through our town this month;again,pleased it's going on,but I'd rather go shooting.

Looking forward to the Euro's,although I cannot abide most of the participants and their pathetic antics,but no doubt I'll start viewing as usual,with quiet excitement and anticipation(just like Formula 1)and finish up with disappointment,frustration and mild anger,but to be fair,F1 has shone so far this season with its unpredictability.

Not really bothered what they want to call Big Ben,but would like to see a different National Anthem.....bloody dire:couldn't stir a cuppa!

PS just sen the pic of the boat,think it looks great....wonder if Gandalf and Frodo will be up front?

Edited by Scully